My laptop won't start

Solved/Closed
Andy - May 6, 2008 at 02:52 AM
 bob - Oct 19, 2012 at 04:00 AM
Hello,

i think I got a virus. I was on Firefox when my computer spontaneously shut down. When I try to restart it the computer tries to restart but then shuts down again within a few seconds. The computer doesn't even have time turn the screen on again before it shuts down. Please help!
Related:

78 responses

my comapaq laptop wont start like other posts the only way I can get it to start is by putting it in the fridge before bootup for a few minutes, is this due to the fan or motherboard please help I cant afford a new one I have even reformatted and still get the same problem. HELP
My girlfriend's DV2000 laptop had the same problem, and was out of warranty. As apparently us men are required to take care of computer troubles, I contacted HP Tech Support and they informed me that they have an extended warranty program set up for this problem. Apparently they'll fix everything for free. Even shipping both ways.

Cheers!

I'll include the program link he sent me, as well as what you'd actually need to get it to work when not talking to 'Blake'.

==Links==
Original: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01087277
Backup/Corrected: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01087277&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

==Message==
Tristan D : Computer refuses to power on. Has been sent back twice before when under warranty for same problem. Computer lights turn on, screen displays black with no cursor and computer is unresponsive.
[An agent will be with you shortly.]
[You are now chatting with Blake .]
Blake : Hello Michael.
Blake : Welcome to HP Total Care for Pavilion / Presario Notebooks. My name is Blake. ?
Tristan D : Hey, how are you today/
Blake : I am fine.Thank you.
Blake : How about you?
Tristan D : Not too bad, except for this computer problem.
Blake : Not to worry, I am happy to address your inquiries and resolve them.
Tristan D : Alright, so what information do you need?
Blake : From the issue description, I understand your concern.
Tristan D : So, how do we proceed from here?
Blake : Could you please provide me the Serial Number (S/N) and Product Number (P/N) of your Notebook? You may find that on a sticker attached to the underside of the Notebook.
Tristan D : Serial is: 2CXXXXXXXX
Tristan D : Product is: GA537UA
Blake : Thank you for the information.
Blake : May I know since how long are you experiencing this issue?
Tristan D : It's been happening intermittently since about last December, I wrote in in the past and they informed me to do a 'Power Drain' by disconnecting the battery and charger and holding the power button down for 30-60 seconds. I tried that whenever it happened. Now even that won't work.
Blake : I see.
Blake : I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue.
Tristan D : The email mentioned something about a static discharge problem too, from what I recall.
Tristan D : A problem with some of the DV2xxx's it says.
Blake : Yes Michael, your Notebook model is qualified under "HP Limited Warranty Service Enhancement Warranty Program".This warranty program is applicable when the Notebook having No Display issue as you are experiencing and this warranty is valid upto "10/1/2009 ".For the More information, please refer the following weblink.
Blake : http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01087277
Blake : Please copy the entire URL and paste it in a new window of Internet Explorer. Then open the link from there.
Tristan D : That's a relief. I will. Thank you very much for your help.
Blake : It is my pleasure.
Blake : Let me inform you again, this HP Limited Warranty Service Enhancement warranty program is applicable symptoms only as mentioned on webpage which I have provided and valid uptothe "10/1/2009".
Tristan D : Yes sir, I'll be sending mine in very soon.
Blake : If you wish to send the Notebook HP in mail-in-repair service, then I will forward the details to our concern department to create Service order for mail-in-repair service right now.
Tristan D : Actually, I've got another question.. I'm sorry
Tristan D : I just clicked the HP Pavillion dv20xx link
Tristan D : and my product number isn't listed
Blake : Not to worry, I will explain.
Blake : Please click on "dv24xx" and press CTRL+F keys together, place the product number in text filed.
Tristan D : Alright, there it is
Blake : So, shall I arrange a mail-in-repair service?
Tristan D : Yes, please
Blake : Sure.
Blake : Could you please provide me the shipping information in below format?

* Email Address:
* Full Name:
* Organization:
* Mailing Address (No P.O. Boxes):
* Apartment/Building/Mailstop:
* City:
* State:
* Zip/Postal Code:
* Phone Number (including area code):
Tristan D :
Blake : Thank you for the additional information.
Blake : Please make sure, take backup of data in prior to send the Notebook to HP.
Blake : If you wish to back up data on the notebook, you may back up data on the hard drive connecting the laptop hard drive to a desktop computer.For connecting the laptop hard drive to the desktop computer, you will need to obtain a small convertor cable. Many such cable are available from the following web sites:

http://www.bixnet.com/

NOTE: The URL above will take you to a non HP Web site. HP does not control and is not responsible for information outside of the HP Web site.

Once you obtain the cable you can connect the hard drive to desktop/Notebook computer and take the backup of the data.
Tristan D : Alright, thank you.
Tristan D : So should I expect a box in the mail, like the web page said?
Blake : In this process, we would send you an empty Notebook box to your mailing address. Once you receive the box, you need to call up your local Fedex and arrange for the box pickup at your convenient time. They would pickup the Notebook from your place and send it to HP for repair. Once your Notebook gets repaired at HP, it would be returned to your mailing address.The mail in repair takes 7-9 business days.
Tristan D : Alright, thanks. I'll expect the box.
Blake : Am I clear with the information?
Tristan D : Yes, indeed.
Blake : Is there anything else I can do for you?
Tristan D : Nope, that's it. Thanks for all your help.
Blake : You are welcome.
Blake : It was a pleasure assisting you today.
Blake : Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or clarifications. We assure you of our dedicated support, 24 hours, 365 days a year. Thank you for contacting HP Total Care Real-Time chat support. If you need further assistance, please contact us again at:
http://www.hp.com/support/chat

Blake : Take Care.
Blake : Bye.
Tristan D : Happy New Year. Thanks, bye.
Hi Tristan,
Reading your post was like reading my own - only my HP guy wasn't quite as informative. I ordered and IDE Hard Drive Adaptor and have no clue how to get my data off my notebook. You seemed to do everything I was told to do - so I just thought I'd ask. If you don't know - do you know where I can find out - the part came with no instructions and the website doesn't have any instructions online.
Thanks
Kathy
Tristan,

Same computer, same problems, same online Total Care conversation... except the guy said, sorry, your p/n doesn't match those included in the warranty extension program.

Anyone else have the same blank screen and not covered under the recall?
Does your fan keep running and then it makes a beeping noise? if so. take off the cover and fan it with a household fan or a piece of paper then turn it back on
my hp new system I am just opened the side system side again when I start the system through the beep sound again if you continue press F1 how to solve this problem

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
newyear2009 Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday December 31, 2008 Status Member Last seen January 1, 2009
Jan 1, 2009 at 01:54 PM
I have a HP Pavilion dv9000 laptop.

Great way to start off January 1, 2009 with my laptop screen not working. Powers up, lights are on, on the keyboard, but the screen is black. Use the laptop daily, and never had this problem.

I purchased the laptop at Best Buy maybe 1 year ago.

Searched Google, came across this forum.

I read this post above:
Perry, on Wednesday December 31, 2008 01:53:26 PM

Followed those instructions, and the screen and laptop works fine!

*******************Perry's post************************
The issue you are experiencing might be due to static charges present on the notebook or due to hardware malfunction with the System Board. To confirm the issue, I recommend you to perform Power drain from the below steps:

==Power Drain===

I would like to inform you that due to regular use of the notebook, some static charges tend to stay in the computer, and sometimes results in not allowing the computer to start. To solve this, kindly perform the following steps:

1. Shut the computer down.
2. Disconnect the AC adapter and remove the battery.
3. Press the power button down for about 30-60 seconds.
4. Reconnect the AC adapter and the battery.
5. Restart the computer.

Try restarting the computer only with the AC power, without the battery and vice-versa.

*******************End Perry's post************************

The mention of static charges makes sense in my case. Just moved into new home and has new carpet. Keep getting shocked walking around the house due to static electricity.

Anyway, hopefully those having the same problem, have as quick a solution as I did.

Thank's to Perry's post (Perry, on Wednesday December 31, 2008 01:53:26 PM), my new years day will be a happy one.
I had the same problem but solved today, hope this will help some people. My Compaq laptop tried to boot when I switched it on, but after a few seconds, it switched itself off, then kept repeating the process itself, never shown anything on screen. Tried almost everything you guys suggested. Took it to be repaired, after a week, I was told it was dead. Too sad to dump it, I switched it on few times a day hoping for miracle, it turned on once, I performed system recovery from hard drive,then it said it needed to restart, but it didn't restart sucessfully, same problem again. I still switched it on few times a day trying my luck, today it turned on again out of a sudden,so it carried on the system recovery, and now the laptop is fully working again.
Hi, I have a Hp Compaq Presario CQ60. I've tried everything!

I held the power button for a long time, then tried, but nothing. I've blown on it, taken it apart. I need help, these computers blow. What shoud I do?
Hey guys! This just happend to my HP dv6000. It starts up but the screen remains clack. Seems to be a common problem. Thing is I got some data on there that I really need & I didnt have time to back-up before this happend. Is it possible to put the Laptops Harddrive in an enclosure & boot it from another computer?

Plz let us know how this works out for you guys...
Yes, you can put your laptop hard drive in an enclosure (USB), boot from another PC, plug in the enclosure, and copy our data off to the other PC.
Irishkate80 > Steve
Jan 11, 2009 at 09:23 PM
I have 2 hard drives I need to get info off of. The 1st one is from my HP DV6000 Laptop. The 2nd is from a Gateway 7305GZ and both the connectors are different. I have NO clue what I'm lookiong for when it comes to getting the hard drive enclosures! HELP!
hfgslb2 > Irishkate80
Jan 30, 2009 at 07:08 AM
The dv6000 has a SATA harddrive and the Gateway has and IDE/ATA. The connectors are different and I'm not sure that you could open the ATA on the dv6000 system or vice-versa. How did you intend to access the info., from a 3rd computer? You may be better off going to a computer store and having them move the info to a cd/dvd for you. Otherwise, you will need a 3rd computer with external enclosures for each harddrive (though you can purchase an enclosure that will come with an adapter that would allow you to install either SATA or IDE/ATA. It's my understanding, though, that a computer set to run and recognize an SATA harddrive will not recognize an IDE/ATA harddrive, and vice-versa. Hope this helps.
Bellevilleguy
Dec 23, 2008 at 07:59 PM
I have a dv5000 and I have over the last 2 years had the no boot issue also at least 6 times??? It either just sits at the windows boot screen, or it gets by that and sits at the black screen?? The only way I can get things working again is to do a complete restore, and then I don't have any issues at all for at least a few months?? Seems like it's software related, if it were hardware I shouldn't be able to get it working as good as new by reinstalling the operating system. FYI-- I just did a complete restore last night, and it's working beautifully once again... Any ideas here would be great !! thanks
i have a dell laptop, and when I type in my password to get to my homescreen, it sais logging off and goes right back to the laptop screen. it started doing this about a month ago. I have no idea what's going on and I havn't figured out how to fix it.
The same problem. Update BIOS with new version on website and pray. Now run 1/2 trying. What a garbage this HP note!!!
bellevilleguy
Dec 30, 2008 at 02:31 PM
I just got done updating everything!! Fresh reinstall, bios and every device driver I could find. I let it sit for about 3 days no battery in it, or being plugged in, and it did the same thing again!! It took forever to boot up? Clean install?? After a few reboots it finally took hold and is running super? Yesterday I got thinking it could be a possible ram issue, so I remove one of the ram's and ran memtest 10 times on each ram, no errors.. I am now starting to think that it is possible that the HD may be the culprit?? I think I am going to get another HD load it up and run with it, see what happens. Very easy to swap out too..
hp wont work what is the problem
Dec 31, 2008 at 12:15 AM
same problem with hppavillon dv2000 took out hardrive, memory and still the same problem wont boot up even the bios dont show anything on this by anyone
2 Things: HP emailed me with a fix that seems to be working! AND they are going to fix my laptop for free even though it isn't under warranty (see all the info below).
The problem seems to be related to static charge buildup (which a few of my friends have had troupble with on their non-hp laptops)

Before emailing HP I tried just about everything:
-Took the whole laptop apart and cleaned the motherboard with this spray cleaner for chips
-Removed the RAM and cleaned it
-Deleted EVERYTHING from the hard drive and put Vista Business on (instead of home premum)
-Flashed the BIOS with that new update and updated all drivers.

The problem is still there...

So I emailed HP and explained it to them. I have a dv2000 (dv2422ca) that is a year and a half old (so 6 months past the warranty). They gave me a temporary fix (pop out battery and unplug, hold the power button for 30-60 seconds, power on with AC power only). They are also going to repair the laptop (I'll let you know if they manage to fix it).

Here is there emai:

Dear Perry,

Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.

From your E-mail, I understand that after turning on the notebook there is no display on the LCD screen of your notebook and also the Wireless card is not being detected on your notebook.

I understand your concern and please be assured that customer satisfaction is very important to us, and I will provide the necessary assistance in this regard.

The issue you are experiencing is due to hardware malfunction with the notebook and for both the issues, it requires an onsite diagnosis.

The issue you are experiencing might be due to static charges present on the notebook or due to hardware malfunction with the System Board. To confirm the issue, I recommend you to perform Power drain from the below steps:

==Power Drain===

I would like to inform you that due to regular use of the notebook, some static charges tend to stay in the computer, and sometimes results in not allowing the computer to start. To solve this, kindly perform the following steps:

1. Shut the computer down.
2. Disconnect the AC adapter and remove the battery.
3. Press the power button down for about 30-60 seconds.
4. Reconnect the AC adapter and the battery.
5. Restart the computer.

Try restarting the computer only with the AC power, without the battery and vice-versa.

Now, I recommend you to check with the issue.

If the issue persists, then it is clear that the issue is due to hardware malfunction with the notebook and for both the issues, it requires an onsite diagnosis.

I have checked our database and found that your notebook is out of warranty. But HP has encountered a Hardware problem with few models of DV2000 series and your notebook is one of them. I am happy to inform you that I would process the request for a mail-in repair service for your notebook.

Please complete the information below so that I can process your request for the mail-in repair service:
Jessman275 > Perry
Jan 1, 2009 at 09:18 PM
Hey I have the same problem with my dv2000. It has started to get worse too! Who did you contact at HP for this? Do you have the email address? Or was it just customer support.

Thanks

Jesse Magruder
jerkchick > Jessman275
Jan 3, 2009 at 08:53 PM
My dv2000 much more often than not does not start i.e. screen does not come on, leds do come on & 1 long and 2 short beeps.

Cause: GPU/Heatsink thermal glue failure leading to overheating and dry joints. HP are aware of this problem but will only fix within waranty

Google says >>>>

One long beep and two short beeps indicates that the GPU chip is not working.

I have found that the GPU gum between the GPU and the heatsink is meant to fill about a 2mm gap, but the gum dries out and cracks. When this happens the chip overheats, and the BGA pins on the gpu loose there connection. If you leave the power on after the beeping and block the vents a bit, the GPU/CPU heat sink warms up enough to expand the solder on the BGA pins and make a connection and the laptop will run. But eventually the solder will fully fracture, and a ball may come off and then you are totally stuffed.

Fixing the heat sink does not fix the problem - its the cause of the problem though, so if you do get yours fixed, I would recommend opening it, scrapping off the blue gum, and inserting a 2mm peice of copper plate on-top of the GPU and using siler thermal paste to connect the GPU to the copper plate and then again on the other side to connect to the heatsink. But this won't fix it if its already dead. (I tried it and I get the same long beep, two short beep).

To fix the problem you have to re-flow the solder on the BGA. This should be done as a last resort (after your laptop doesnt turn on any more even when you heat it up). You have to strip down laptop to the motherboard. Bake the motherboard in a fan forced over at 80 degrees celcius for at least 24 hours (to get rid of any moisture that might be in the chip or solder). Immediatly after you take it out of the over, you need a hot air gun capable of reaching about 300 degrees. Heat the entire GPU chip and its board (don't worry - all components can take 300 degress celcius for solder-reflow and did when the board was made). Keep bumping the GPU chip very slightly with a small screw driver, it will eventually become loose. Don't lift it up however. Just keep the heat on for a few seconds to let the solder reflow and make a connection with the balls underneath.

After that let it cool down and plug everything back in and it *Might* work. If not can you heat it up and try again.
I tried the AC remove solution and it works fine for me now! Thanks a ton for posting this here! -_-
hey everyone, had the same problem, all I did was take out the battery, and unplug the laptop. the you hold down the power button for about 30-40 seconds, then put only the AC plug in and turn it on. worked for me.... might for you too.
i have compaq c700
i hav intalled a game after the installing the game my laptop being currupt
an I unable to stert my laptop
when I start it showing blue screen and telling harddrive crupted
but I had kept some important data
i want to repair without formatting
please give some suggestion
i am waiting for your answer
thankyou
just tak out the ram it works for me I have a hp pavillon dv 9000 I took the ram out and it work for me
Thanks for all the great advise black screen is now gone
wow almost thought I needed to get a new computer
great site it all work
Ok, I have a HP presido that all of a sudden, when I go start, it will not stay on. I tried taking the batt. out. My AC adaptor plug does have a few mishaps on it but my laptop is fully charged and it will not stay on. What can I do to try and fix it myself before spending hundreds of dollars to get it fixed. If anyone can help that would be great. Thank you all.
I have a hp laptop which cannot come on at all, I have remove the battery and fixed it again but still the same problem continue. When plug it to the power, it is suppose to display green light, that also is impossible.
Hi,think I had the same problem. Computer lights turn on, screen displays black with no cursor and computer is unresponsive. What I tried and worked is taking out one of the RAM memory (1G) boards from the slot. Although now working with less capacity, at least I can temporarily turn it on and use it while I wait it to be fixed.
Has anyone of you guys tried this option before?
Could this be the same problem as yours or just a hardware issue with my RAM boards slots?
i had my dv200 hp laptop for two years an I had to send it out for repairs more then 6 times because of this problem.
and oday when I got home and turnit on it just had the power light on and won't start up. trust me this laptop is a pain to use and I never even dropped it once it has to stopworking on me. I can't wait to get a destop it won't have this types of issues.
percy8 Posts 125 Registration date Wednesday February 20, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 5, 2009 47
Feb 4, 2009 at 05:15 AM
hi Andy,
thats good I think is that g is right I would advise u to follow the same step and it will therefore surely work but it can also be a virus and therefore I think u'll need to format ur pc :-(goodluck dear
hey yalll my pc was having the same prob,,,
it would turn on the lights, and then it would restart and keep goingg.....

i believe the prob is with the laptop's battery....i placed my battery in the freezer for 5 min (lol) , placed it back, turned it on and blew into the vent and it worked....