Excel data Extraction issue

Closed
milva - Dec 22, 2011 at 09:17 AM
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 - Jan 2, 2012 at 12:10 PM
Hello,

I have the following issue with data extraction with Excel.
I have a list of data (barcodes) dynamically populated - which means that every scan is creating a new row of data in a specific column.
This might be thousands of scans.

I want to be able to take this list - practically copy and paste every scan to another excel file. From there i can short the scans according to my requirements.
The most important thing is that if i manually delete this list - lets say every month- and start the scans from the top again, i dont want to loose my data on the other excel file created.

These scans are entered in a worksheet which is open continously. The file in which the data will be extracted has to be open all the time also?

i have tried a lot of things for many days now and i seem to be stacked.
The problem with advance filter and function is that they are not dynamic, in terms that every time a new value is enetered in my list it is not transfered to the other file.

Any good ideas.???

By the way if this is possible to be done through excel functions instead of VBA - i would preffer that because i am not fa,miliar with vba and how to handle it.

1 response

rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
Dec 27, 2011 at 02:51 PM
does it has to be live operation or you can do on demand, where at given time you run a macro that will move data to other book?
thanks for the reply,

It has to be live or scheduled at certain time intervals.
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
Jan 2, 2012 at 12:10 PM
I am not clear on few aspects. At point will the scan data moved to this new sheet. Also if you are copying the list to new location, how it is tied back to its original source.?

On surface it seems the solution would be
1. let is populate the sheet as the current process. Once you are ready to move the data to new location, you run a macro that will copy the content from this sheet to other sheet. Depending on how the data is setup and what are the requirement, one may try to have a data copied from certain time frame or that mark what has been copied. etc