Kioskea
Recherche
Ask a question Report

Hidden files on my hard disk [Solved/Closed]

ryan - Latest answer on Nov 8, 2012 09:00PM
Hello,
i have this problem with my external hard disk. if i go to properties, I'm able to see that i still have those files showing on the used space. the problem is if i open the drive, it is showing no folder or any of the files i have. I'm not a computer expert, can you please give me a simple step by step procedure on how to solve this?
Read more 
Answer
+75
moins plus
Click on the below link and download the file "AutorunExterminator"

http://en.kioskea.net/download/download-11613-autorun-exterminator

Extract it --> Double-click on "AutorunExterminator" -

This will remove the autorun virus from the drives.

Step 2:

For xp ,go to run and type

cmd and click ok

For vista and 7

Go to start and type

cmd

Now right click on it and select run as administrator

Now run this command

attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.*

where g refers to your external hard drive letter

this should unhide your files

Let me know how it works

kirin- Oct 12, 2012 12:13AM
thanks a lot dude...you saved me....thanks5
aiswaryarajendran 1Posts Tuesday October 16, 2012Registration date October 16, 2012Last seen - Oct 16, 2012 01:27AM
Access denied-d:system volume information'
coleenRawwks 1Posts Tuesday October 16, 2012Registration date October 16, 2012Last seen - Oct 16, 2012 03:40AM
thank you so much! it works!! :)
Zelda jane 1Posts Monday November 5, 2012Registration date November 5, 2012Last seen - Nov 5, 2012 10:52PM
I have got rid of the Trojan and entered attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.* but it says unable to change Attributes - G:\[folder name) I can see the folders on the drive but the contents are hidden Could you please help me?
dany l varghese 1Posts Thursday November 8, 2012Registration date November 8, 2012Last seen - Nov 8, 2012 09:00PM
I GOT MY ALL DATAS BACK.....THANK UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Answer
+48
moins plus
i tried what you told me ( attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.* )... but is says access denied - G:\system volume information :(

Answer
+8
moins plus
hi..just woke up, sorry :) ohh will it take minutes for the attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.* thingy? it just showed access denied, i didnt know i still have to wait sorry... and about the AutorunExterminator, i downloaded it and shows "0" zero autorun found...

Anonymous User - Nov 7, 2011 06:05PM
It should have done by now

DId you check your harddrive
Answer
+6
moins plus
hey! I'm done with it... already have my files here with me.. thank you so much sundar7701!!!!!!!!.... i know I'll be back :P

Anonymous User - Nov 7, 2011 10:19PM
Happy to know that it worked
Answer
+6
moins plus
hey sundar...i'm sorry to bother you again, but everytime i plug in my external hdd, it keeps saying USB device not recognized. what can i do? i tried troubleshooting it the way we did the last time (For xp ,go to run and type

cmd and click ok

For vista and 7

Go to start and type

cmd

Now right click on it and select run as administrator

Now run this command

attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.* )...... and it says PATH NOT FOUND

Answer
+3
moins plus
i did not replace G since that is also my external hard drive letter

Anonymous User - Nov 7, 2011 12:10PM
ignore this error

G:\system volume information :access denied

Just wait for the command to complete,let me know the end result
Answer
+1
moins plus
Replace g with your external hard drive letter

open command prompt as administrator and run it

Answer
+0
moins plus
hey sundar7701 thanks a Million bro!! worked prefectly, by the way what causes that so i dont do it again

Answer
+0
moins plus
Disable autorun feafture

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715

This will stop external drives from opening automatically.

Always run a scan on flash drives before opening them.

feam- Oct 6, 2012 02:41PM
brother sundar same prob with me.. bt that atrib suff nt working correctly.. and i m unable to acess files on my laptop on F drive... plz plz help
Answer
+0
moins plus
ryan

USB device not recognized.
is in no way related to attrib command or hidden files.

It may be a hardware issue

Did you try USB different ports?

Turn off your PC,remove the power cables(especially UPS ) and wait for 3O minutes,reconnect them and turn on your PC and try to plug in your hard disk.

See if the PC detects them

Also check if it works on other PC

Answer
+0
moins plus
hi sundar! listen i had the same exact problem. Notice i said had:) thank you so much for fixing this! Now im encrypting this drive hardcore, i found a program that the police can use to track it even if it gets stolen and now the people or person who stole my data can't unlock it! cool huh? But honestly thank you again, seriously i feel like i owe you money, can we work something out?

Anonymous User - Feb 18, 2012 10:52PM
You're welcome
Ryan- Feb 26, 2012 11:55PM
good day sundar... i have a problem.. again.. when i plug my external hdd on my HP netbook, it detects the the device but when i try to open it, it says unable to access device.. i cannot open the hdd.. the netbook's os is windows 7.. but if i plug it on my pc, there is no problem, my pc is windows xp, i can open all my files... what seems to be the problem? can you please help me?
linydmoe- Oct 5, 2012 04:28AM
Brilliant!!!
mykell- Oct 5, 2012 07:37PM
my files in System(C:) where hidden....can i use this attrib to ubhide my files?
mark- Oct 12, 2012 09:35PM
you are a legend. thank you sooo much. this works and safe!!!!1
This document entitled « hidden files on my hard disk » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.