Neverending BIOS Loop

Closed
gottitmade Posts 3 Registration date Thursday September 22, 2011 Status Member Last seen September 23, 2011 - Sep 22, 2011 at 04:24 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Sep 23, 2011 at 02:37 PM
Hello,

I would like to please request some help with the following issue, it may be of use to someone else.

I have just restored my toshiba satellite to windows xp. After installing all the proper drivers, I beleive I have updated to the wrong BIOS (ACPI flash BIOS v1.20 for Tecra A4/satellite m45-s359) and I cant do anything to the laptop at this point in time.

I get to the yukon PXE v3.03 (pre-boot execution Environment) and i get into a neverending loop.

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable (It always did this prior to malfunction)
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM
press any key when ready.......

When I press any key it repeats this process.

When the computer powers on The only configuration screen I am able to enter is the BIOS setup by pressing F2, and then F1. the boot order is set to HDD>CD>FDD>LAN. I am not able to get to any other configuration screen by holding '0' when power on or by repeatedly pressing F8. I am able to hold down F12 and manually select my boot device (toshiba has icons at the startup splash screen) but i get the same output. I am not able to boot from my windows cd, Ubuntu 11.04 boot disk, ubuntu 10, or a windows formated boot CD (with the boot.ini file on it). I had even removed the Hard drive to see if I could force the CD boot and i get the same output. I would like to hope that I have bricked the system with the wrong BIOS
ACPI BIOS version 1.20

Here are my current Specs

Toshiba Satellite M45-s2693
Intel Celeron
Windows XP SP3
1GB RAM
Model Number PSM42U-01Q006
unknown Motherboard.
Not Sure what the BIOS was before I flashed it

Thanks in advance for taking the time out to help me with this issue.

Louis L.

Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Sep 22, 2011 at 10:45 PM
BIOS updating is a critical operation. If it fails then the only way to resurrect the computer is to physically replace the BIOS chip with one that is correctly flashed for your make and model PC. The problem being that most laptop's BIOS chips are soldered onto the motherboard.

Sorry
gottitmade Posts 3 Registration date Thursday September 22, 2011 Status Member Last seen September 23, 2011
Sep 23, 2011 at 06:48 AM
Thank you very much. Ithought thats what I had to do, but I was hoping for some other solution. You live and you learn. Thank you very much for addressing this topic for me. I have found a cheap board replacement, I think this will be the cheapest solution.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Sep 23, 2011 at 02:37 PM
Yes, A board replacement is a good idea. I would search for the repair manual so you know how to disassemble the laptop. I would also use a screw board and tape down each screw as you remove it. Often they use different length screws and you need to keep track of them.

Good Luck