Inspiron 1525 partition size

Closed
FredG - Jan 24, 2009 at 10:35 PM
akeila_wolf Posts 7 Registration date Thursday January 22, 2009 Status Member Last seen January 24, 2009 - Jan 24, 2009 at 11:11 PM
Hi

I have a 1525 onto which I've loaded XP. Everything running fine - no probs.

I want to decrease the C partition size - forgot to do it when I loaded XP and I don't wnt to reformat etc.

Partition Magic 8 doesn't recognise the disk because there are two small partition that I assume contain the reinstallation files etc - one is 63Mb FAT (no label or drive letter, EISA format), the other is 2.5Gb FAT32 labelled Mediadirect (Healthy - unknown partition). All Partition Magic states is that it's a bad disk :(

Don't really want to delete these two partitions as I might try Vista again at some point and it'll be easier to do a fresh Dell installation than load from disk (which Dell didn't supply).

How can I decrease my C: partition?

Thanks
Related:

2 responses

akeila_wolf Posts 7 Registration date Thursday January 22, 2009 Status Member Last seen January 24, 2009 5
Jan 24, 2009 at 11:11 PM
1) Get a new hard drive, partition it as you want, install software
2) Delete partitions, try again with PM and see if it works, no guarentees there either
3) Contact DELL and have them send you the recovery CD for your machine, which by MS agreement they HAVE to do with each new machine(didnt buy it new, get up with them anyway and order one)
4) Format hard drive start over
5) you can TRY to go to a dos window, type FDISK C: /MBR and see if that resets the Master Boot Record, BUT!!!! THIS MAY RENDER YOUR MACHINE UNUSABLE UNTIL YOU FORMAT IT AND/OR REINSTALL THE OPERATING SYSTEM.... sometimes it works, sometimes is smokes the machine....

Remember, when it comes to computers... Jesus Saves..and SO SHOULD YOU... back up all important data before you do ANYTHING

Good luck

Wolfy

**** DISCLAIMER ****
ALL INFORMATION IS PROVIDED AS IS FOR REFERENCE ONLY, AND WHILE EVERY EFFORT IS MADE TO VERIFY ITS ACCURACY, YOUR USE OF WHAT IS WRITTEN IS DONE AT YOUR OWN RISK, YOU ARE HUMAN AS AM I AND SUBJECT TO MAKING MISTAKES. IF YOU KILL, DESTROY, SMOKE, BURN UP, FRY, OR OTHERWISE RENDER YOUR COMPUTER, COMPUTER SYSTEMS OR ANY DAMN THING ELSE USELESS, YOU DO SO BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING AND CAUSED IT TO HAPPEN EVEN AFTER READING THIS AND SINCE I DID NOT PRESS THE KEYS, YOU HOLD ME AND MINE HARMLESS FOR ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN, MOON, AND STARS.
Ok - forget that. Did a bit if a trawl and ended up downloading EASEUS which has done the job. Brilliant little program, no overheads and it's free. Don't know why Partition Magic wouldn't work but that's not a prob now as I've uninstalled it and prob won't go back to it.