Restore to factory settings

Closed
john d - Jun 27, 2011 at 11:33 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jul 1, 2011 at 04:26 PM
Hello,

Hi everyone. I have been having trouble with installing a standard Windows upgrade. After trying a million different things through Windows support, they told me to install the windows vista disk which I have never had as it was pre-installed. The last resort, as some corruption was detected was to restore to factory settings.

I'm not sure how to do this, and what impact it will have on my programs and my data files. i have backed up the latter to a clickfree hard disk but don't know whether I would lose all my programs or anything else important.

Thanks for any help

john D

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jul 1, 2011 at 04:26 PM
A restore to factory condition will most often reformat the hard disk and erase all your data and any programs you added. Some restore programs will copy the old Windows files to Windows.old and attempt to find and save your data files. Since the restore is not a standard Microsoft program and varies between manufacturers and even models of PCs from the same manufacturer it is impossible to advise you as to the exact effects of a restore. Try to do some research on the manufacturer's support web site.

Good Luck