MS Update crashed my system

Closed
rebew - Jan 24, 2009 at 12:52 AM
 rebew - Jan 24, 2009 at 10:20 AM
Hello,
After the last MS security issue/vulnerability, I did an automatic update for MS windows XP. No 'critical' updates were needed, but 5 optional updates were there. They seemed to be 'helpful' so I downloaded. (Cannot remember all the updates but one was a Realtek - Network - Realtek Ethernet NIC). All 'updated' successfully, then it started the process of 'installing'. On the last install, it rebooted itself. (It did say that it might need to restart the computer) Well- It never came up after doing that. After about 5-10 minutes, I tried to restart the computer. I got the Blue HP screen with the "press esc to reboot, press F10 to do something and F 12 for something. It quickly changed to the black screen asking to select the operating system- MS Win XP Home or MS Win Recovery Console. It said to use the up and down arrows to select and press enter or to troubleshoot press F8. I am not able to use arrows to select(screen goes black), nor can I press enter (screen goes black), nor may I press F8(black screen).
What do I need to do?- besides get a bigger hammer!
This is a HPPavilion a1410y with XP SP3 (I think). XP Home edition was preloaded and I have no idea if there might be disks that came with the computer or not- I have not found any, though.
I really need to save all info/settings(?) on this HD, too, since it is my elderly mom's computer.
Any help out there? Please?
Related:

1 response

hi dud ,

actually i'm not clear with ur statement but one thing is that if u switch on automatic updates then one day or another ur computer may be blocked by microsoft corp. provides if u use n pirated xp. if urs was not pirates may be its becoz of virus. if nothing is there in c drive formate it else connect the hdd to another system as secondary and copy all the files....
ash-
I thought about the copy being pirated, but is not. This was a store bought unit that came with all software.
you say-in c drive formate it
Can you direct me as to how to do this? (I am not real knowledgeable with computers) where or what do I search to find the steps.
Thanks for help, here.
rebew