Cannot recovery xp after windows 7

Closed
brosonina - Jun 2, 2011 at 09:37 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jun 2, 2011 at 10:12 PM
Hello,
thanks for reading my post.

I'm having a problem recovering my HP notebook after installing window 7. I tried reinstalling windows XP from the recovery partition that the notebook comes with but I receive an error message saying"
"Error: System not fully installed. Please run setup again."
I've tried this about 3 times still same message... any help? Also i cannot boot into any operating system. Windows 7 has been removed, and XP will not load past that error message...

please help, i start school in a few weeks and i need a notebook to take with me..

thanks in advance!

Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jun 2, 2011 at 10:12 PM
At this point you might try EasyBCD Bootloader at:

https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

It may work to modify the bootloader so that XP can start.

Otherwise, you may need to use "Killdisk" to wipe the hard drive clean. Then load Windows XP from a OEM copy of XP. You need the OEM copy if you are going to reuse the HP serial number. A retail version of XP will not work with the OEM serial number. A local repair shop probably has a OEM disk they can use to do the reload.

Good Luck