Ask a question Report

Reset toshiba laptop to factory settings [Solved/Closed]

justin - Latest answer on Oct 15, 2012 10:39AM
Hello,
pls help me reset my laptop toshiba satellite l300 to factory settings. My OS is windows vista. thanx a lot
Read more 
Answer
+1273
moins plus
Toshiba laptops from mid 2007 onwards dont have a recovery disc supplied with a purchase of a laptop. Instead, Toshiba has added a hidden partion on the hard drive which contains the same files on a recovery cd / dvd.

To reinstall your laptop to the factory settings / "out of the box" settings, please follow these steps. It worked for me, and should work for you.

ALL DATA WILL BE ERASED ON YOUR HARD DRIVE IF YOU PROCEED. YOU WILL NEED TO ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE THE POWER ADAPTER PLUGGED IN. DO NOT SWITCH OFF OR RESTART YOUR COMPUTER DURING THIS PROCESS.

1) Hold down the power button for 10 (ten) seconds to switch off your machine.

Please note: Holding down the power button on the machine forces it to switch off. Any unsaved data will be lost.

2) Press and hold the 0 (zero) key and at the same time, tap the power button once to switch on your notebook.

3) When the machine Starts beeping; release the 0 key.

4) When prompted by the warning screen; select Yes to continue with the system recovery.

5) Select Recovery of Factory Default Software; click Next.

6) Select Recover to out-of-box state. Click Next again.

7) Click Next to Start recovery.

I hope you find this step by step solution helpful for you. If so, rate it up.

Thanks,
Larry2488

Dan713 1Posts Wednesday October 10, 2012Registration date October 10, 2012Last seen - Oct 10, 2012 02:53AM
OMG!!!! I freaking love you! u got ridda my Win32 virus! love you!
evie1960- Oct 10, 2012 04:53AM
Hi there i have a Toshiba satellite pro A100.....i want to restore to factory settings....i have tried pressing and holding the 0 key , f8, f9, and f10 keys but nothing works it just starts up as normal to the windows xp screen, i don't have the recovery CD, i am at my wits end, can any one help me please, regards Yvonne
PD-DARK- Oct 10, 2012 02:49PM
thanl you for the tips and the help.
Derek- Oct 10, 2012 08:47PM
Awesome!!!!
Answer
+887
moins plus
hi,
try these steps, hope they will help you:
1. Copy all your files and documents to an external storage device.
2. Shut down the computer.
3. Turn the PC back on and hit the F8 key repeatedly until the Advanced Boot Option Screen appears.
4. Click "Repair Your Computer" if you are not already on it and then press ENTER
5. choose your country and click OK
6. On the "System Recovery Options Screen" click "Restore Application" which is the last option.
7. Follow the on-screen instructions
8. When prompted, click on "Full Factory Recovery"
9. "Next"
10. Click "Yes"
11. you will notice for a while it seems like nothing is happening, give it some time.
12. After some minutes, recovery will complete and you click "Finish"

let me know if it helps you.

gilly- Jun 6, 2010 09:31AM
Thanx very much, had a very stressed fella as nothin previously wrkd!! Ur instructions were fntastic.

Regards & very greatful x
GMC- Jul 1, 2010 01:33PM
Yes it wont work on battery mode but i am doing it just niow and so far so good so thank you xxx
m- Apr 18, 2011 03:44AM
hi thanx but still cant get in.
Dix- Oct 7, 2012 05:30PM
Thank you so much. It was very easy. Works like charm.
korok_mungz 1Posts Monday October 15, 2012Registration date October 15, 2012Last seen - Oct 15, 2012 10:39AM
HI.. i have format my toshiba laptop to factory setting... but while formatted my laptop suddenly shut down... after that i cannot turn on my pc and it ask for boot cd... i put in my window 7 cd and recover some damage file(but not formatted it )... after that the old window can be turn on again... but i cannot formatted the laptop to factory setting because when Boot Option Screen appears there is no "Repair Your Computer" option... is it my laptop cannot been formatted to factory setting due to the previous formatted fail... how to solve this problem...
Answer
+66
moins plus
Please can you help I have the blue screen and i want to get my Toshiba Sattelite working,
I have tired taping f8 and get the following choices=

SAFE MODE
SAFE MODE NETWORKING
SAFE MODE COMMAD PROMPT

ENABLE BOOT LOGGING
ENABLE VGA MODE
LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION
DIRECTORY SERVICES
DEBUGGING MODE
DISABLE AUTO RE START

SATAT WINDOWS NORMALLY
REBOOT
RETURN TO OS CHOICES MENU

But NO Repair your computer can you help me get my laptop running again also i have the product recovery disc but reluctant to use it as i will wipe the hard drive. is there anyway not to lose the data but get the laptop up and running again

Cheers S

justin- Dec 5, 2009 06:39PM
yes yes yes. google for the ultimate boot cd. burn it to a cd-rw and insert it to yur cd drive, restart and look for the antivirus options and scan.email me if you need assistance
Duchess 2Posts Monday December 14, 2009Registration date December 15, 2009Last seen - Dec 15, 2009 06:08AM
Hi Justin,

I wonder if you can help....

I get the same list of options when I press f8 as sam.scott, hoever I do not want to save any info off my hard drive. Which option do I choose?
justin- Jan 22, 2010 04:26AM
hi duchess, i think there is no option for you to restore your unit to factory setting most especially it it is xp.if it is vista most likely it has.click start menu, all programs. look for a recovery menu, if it doestn have, then i think you need to insert the recovery disk or your windows os cd.
Shay- Mar 28, 2010 05:27PM
Hello. I get to to 'system recovery options' I click the last option & it says 'if preinstalled files are damaged, you can use the Product Recovery DVD-ROM to restore them' below that it says 'When you reinstall the Windows operating system, the hard disk will be reformatted and all data will be lost' .... What do I do?
Sofia57 toshiba- May 8, 2010 05:52PM
instead try this: larry2488 said to do this, and im doing it rite now on my laptop:

1) Hold down the power button for 10 (ten) seconds to switch off your machine.

Please note: Holding down the power button on the machine forces it to switch off. Any unsaved data will be lost.

2) Press and hold the 0 (zero) key and at the same time, tap the power button once to switch on your notebook.

3) When the machine Starts beeping; release the 0 key.

4) When prompted by the warning screen; select Yes to continue with the system recovery.

5) Select Recovery of Factory Default Software; click Next.

6) Select Recover to out-of-box state. Click Next again.

7) Click Next to Start recovery.

I hope you find this step by step solution helpful for you. If so, rate it up.
Answer
+35
moins plus
ASIDE FROM LARRY'S EFFECTIVE TECHNIQUE ON HOW TO RESTORE TOSHIBA TO FACTORY DEFAULT SETTINGS, THIS IS ONE THING WORTH GIVING A TRY.
1)Save your files first to an external memory storage like a memory stick or whatever u may have, plug in your laptop to the ac outlet.then...

2)Shut down your computer, turn it on then immediately press "f8" repeatedly then u will see the option at the bottom of the screen "press f2 to log to boot manager" press it fast or else you'll have to repeat everything again

3)Then there is the option at the top "To access advanced boot option press "f8" ,press it.

3)Under "Advanced Boot Option",highlight the option"Repair Your Computer" and press enter. 3)System recovery option menu will show up, select country and keyboard layout then press next.

4)Then there is the option to log in as a local user so you can access recovery option,enter your password.

5)After that the "System Recovery Option" will be visible,just choose what action u like
a)Start up Repair
b)System Restore
c)Windows PC Complete Restore
d)Windows Memory diagnostic tool
e)Command Prompt
f)Toshiba Recovery Wizard.

Select "Toshiba|Recovery Wizard",then select the option that says "Restore to factory default out of box state."

6)There will be a warning that all files will be lost, dont worry just go on because all the files will be rewritten just like when u first bought it. Cheers

Answer
+19
moins plus
Can anyone help me,
I have a toshiba satellite L300 that i want to reset to factory settings,
but when I start the Toshiba recovery wizard, I get an error that he can't find the HDD recovery file. Can someone tell me how I can solve this or another way how I can reset it to factory settings.

JUSTIN- Feb 7, 2010 03:15PM
hi lee. try this link from acer support. http://www.acer.com.au/...
JUSTIN lee - Feb 7, 2010 03:27PM
hi lee. last option. if he cant find his model in that site support of acer then tell him to download everest ultimate edition.on Opening the program. click motherboard menu to get the motherboard infos and use that to look for the drivers.if he cant mange to do that give me the motherboard infos.If he is finding difficulty with that, he can click "DEVICES" menu then" WINDOWS DEVICES", OTHER DEVICES. from there he can get the specific name of the driver he needs and he can hunt them one by one.let me know if hes having difficulties. give me the motherboard infos and driver infos from everest ultimate edition program. the link to dowload is http://download.cnet.com/Everest-Ultimate-Edition/3000-2086_4-10499291.html
Dwight justin - Jan 9, 2010 07:05AM
Hi,
I am in desperate need of a recovery disc for a Tossiba satellite A205 laptop.
Any suggestion?
Dwight
donavin- Mar 17, 2010 07:58AM
wat is down arrow key
William- Jun 15, 2010 09:24PM
You could always buy a new disk or somthing or do what they say They ROCKKKKKKK proops
Answer
+13
moins plus
RESET TOSHIBA TO FACTORY SETTINGS WITH BUILT IN BACK UP FILES
1Save your files first to an external memory storage like a memory stick or whatever u may have, plug in your laptop to the ac outlet.then....

2)Shut down your computer turn it on. then immediately press f8 repeatedly until it brings you directly to "advanced boot option".If you see the Windows Logo like "Windows Vista", you need to turn off your computer again and repeat pressing f8 simultaneously until you see the "advanced boot option" menu

4)Under "advanced boot option", highlight the option "repair your computer" and press "enter".

5)System recovery option menu will show up, select country and keyboard layout then press next.

6Then there is the option to log in as a local user so you can access recovery option,enter your password.

7)After that the "system recovery option" will show up and show these options
a)start up repair
b)system restore
c)window pc complete restore
d)windows memory diagnostic tool
e)command prompt
f) toshiba recovery wizard

8) Select "toshiba recovery wizard"

9) There will be a warning that "all files will be lost are you sure you want to continue?" Go on click whatever confirmation message u see.Al files wil be rewritten so there is nothing to worry .From there just go with the flow until recovery has finished.Your computer may restart automatically, thats normal. Hope u find this useful.Cheers

Answer
+10
moins plus
hyee
dear...my scanerio seems to be different..
i am telling u all from start
my windows wasnt starting i thought it can be solve through product recovery disc but when i found my disc wasnt present their so i asked from my frnd to give me his toshiba`s product recovery disc he is also having the toshiba laptop
but after using buddy i found that when ever i start the laptop my windows asking to change the product key and giving me options that how can i do this..like..online or by phone...
but problem is that em not able to enter in windows..
plzz help em not able to use my laptop:(

justin- Jun 13, 2009 01:49AM
hi to evrybody! if my first advice didn't work you can email me again to have some new ideas from me. i just get everything from the net,i can search answers for you on my free time.besides im learning also on what i read here.
Kim- Jun 22, 2009 05:28PM
Hi Justin,
You seem incredibly helpful. I have a Toshiba, not sure of the model since I am not at home right now, but a couple of weeks ago I downloaded Skype. While I was creating my account name by computer screen went blue with a all these letters and then ever since then when I turn it on and go into it as I would normally do it freezes after all my icons appear on my desktop. The only way I can use my laptop now is in safe mode. I wouldn't mind it but it restricts me from doing a lot and everything is huge on the screen itself.

I took it to Best Buy and Geek Squad advised me that I need to do a system blowout which would cost me $136.00 with them. He said that most likely I have a virus. Can you please help. I am a total dummy when it comes to anything IT wise so any assistance would be great.
justin- Jun 25, 2009 03:35AM
hi kim, yes most likely your laptop has a virus, or you downloaded an incompatible software.what is your antivirus anyway? try norton 360 version 3, scan and if the result indicates manual removal,copy the file location which will be shown in the details section and you need to go to safe mode and turn off system restore.afterwards locate the file and delete it manually.the link for norton download is http://www.microsoft.com/windows/antivirus-partners/windows-vista.aspx If you have xp os, change the windows-vista.aspx to windows-xp.aspx. if you have trouble doing this then try fix it utilities professional.after updating it scan it with the DEEP SCAN OPTION.It will automatically get rid of the virus.the download link is http://www.brothersoft.com/fix-it-utilities-professional-61217.html after you have removed the virus or no virus was found during the scan and the problem persists, try doing system restore. just go to CONTROL PANEL,click SYSTEM, click SYSTEM PROTECTION,wait till SYSTEM RESTORE button is available, then click it.Just choose from the available dates you think it was normally working.if system restore cant fix it then do factory settings which i have posted in the forum at No. 4. email me me if you need some more help.
caseybro- Jun 28, 2009 09:42PM
hey man hows it going...i have a toshiba satellite pro s200 and whant to factory reset it... but problems i did what you told others to do but when i get to advanced set up it dosnt have the option to factory resest...could you please help i am stuck and dont want to purchase the cd...cheers
justin- Dec 5, 2009 07:06PM
hi caseybro if u still need help email me i got the recovery disk torrent file .just give your os
Answer
+10
moins plus
use the f11 or f10 key to get the boot option then click on restore c drive.

Answer
+4
moins plus
yi all

go to google search and tipe:( users-guide-28066A.pdf )download the pdf file it will show you how to reset it.

PDF] Satellite® L300 Series User's Guide
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat
To use this model properly, read the user's guide carefully ...... See the "Mobile Computing" section of the Toshiba User's Guide ...
filedb.experts-exchange.com/incoming/2009/12.../users-guide-28066A.pdf

if got problem download it i can sent u a attach file how to reset it.my e-mail is Email Id removed for security

Answer
+3
moins plus
Answer
+1
moins plus
Buy a hard drive wipper but you will need a nothing computer then Well its easy Just use ANY xp windows 7 windows me anything but you will have to del everything from your computer the put the harddrive back in the use the
Cd I know someone can tell you well better but if you get it do it sorry am only 14 but it will work with the old tosh Good luck

This document entitled « reset toshiba laptop to factory settings » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.