Explorer.exe gone and i logged out!

Closed
D-man24 - Dec 30, 2010 at 10:48 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Jan 16, 2011 at 05:03 AM
hello,
explorer.exe was deleted and then i pressed "Start+L and logged out now all i can see is the blue microsoft windows welcome screen! none of the buttons i press work. so far i've tried Ctrl+Alt+DEL and pressing F8 to go into safe mode/restore mode none of it works please help!

2 responses

vista.ultimate.64 Posts 211 Registration date Sunday October 3, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2013 38
Dec 30, 2010 at 11:14 AM
when u press ctrl + alt + del, can u get to the task manager? or try ctrl + shift + ESC to get there. From the task manager, go to the Applications tab and then go to File > New Task (Run...) and type in "rstrui.exe" WITHOUT the quotes....and from there, try to do a system restore. Good luck
thank you for the suggestion but when i tried to press Ctrl+Shift+ESC nothing happened =(
vista.ultimate.64 Posts 211 Registration date Sunday October 3, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2013 38
Dec 30, 2010 at 11:28 AM
what about the Ctrl + Alt + Del method to get to the task manager? or any other method to get to the run command box? how long ago did the problem happen and which windows system are you using?
none if the keys for task manager or command prompt do anything and i am running windows xp
Dec 30, 2010 at 12:10 PM
or, what you can do is insert your windows Operating System disk.
wait until your system reads the disk..then try and press ctrl+alt+del to open the Task Manager. then go to new task as i showed you above,
select browse, another dialog box opened. there open ur windows disk, search for explorer.exe file.
if u got the file, right click on explorer.exe, select copy
Now go to C: directory, open ur windows directory and paste it over there.
Now restart ur system.

if this doesnt work then let me know, i think i still might have one trick left
sadly i have lost the operating disk but i might be able to get it back it will take a few days though.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,166
Jan 16, 2011 at 05:03 AM
Hello D-Man

Did you do as Ultimate suggested?

Was is your operating system?

After you boot the system you get the Windows welcome screen then what?

What happens if you press the Windows key?

How did you manage to delete Explorer.exe?

Reply and we will see what we can do.

Regards

P.S. Avoid using short words ending with a K or your message will not get posted