Ask a question Report

Computer can not show the CD/DVD ROM(Drive E) [Solved/Closed]

coster - Latest answer on Nov 9, 2012 11:03AM
Hello,
my computer can not show me the CD/DVD ROM please help me. It used to show me some time back but this time around the icon has been removed from my computer. How can i view it or restore it back, i am using a pentium 4 desktop computer and the make is ( Compaq)
Read more 
Answer
+238
moins plus
I swear this info. helps to resolve this problem for Windows XP. I had this problem and tried this -- it works!

1. Close all open programs
2. Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter
3. Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet
Control
Class
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

4. This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.

UpperFilters
LowerFilters
UpperFilters.bak
LowerFilters.bak

5. If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete
6. After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor
7. Reboot your computer
8. Open My Computer and check to see if your CD or DVD drives have returned. You may also want to open Device Manager and verify that the yellow exclamation and error code on the CD or DVD drive is gone. Also, be sure to check under Computer to make sure the CD/DVD drive is visible.

I'm sure following these steps will work for you as they did for me.

Tsin- Oct 18, 2012 03:00PM
Ok, so I just went on and deleted the upper and lower filters. After rebooting, I was relieved to see my DVD-Drive working properly again. I hope it stays that way, but still, thank you for the tip. :D
Sad- Oct 22, 2012 12:23AM
does it helpful for laptop too?
asb- Oct 27, 2012 12:10PM
brilliant !!!worked for me..
Christyc- Oct 28, 2012 10:54AM
We had been having this problem with our Sony Vaio laptop for weeks! We would do a system restore and it would be fixed until we had to reboot again...then the drive would disappear again along with the printer driver! Thank you SOOOO much for this fix. It works! Question: what causes this to happen in the first place? How does the Registry get corrupted?
Vanes- Nov 9, 2012 11:03AM
Thank you so much ! It works !!!!
Answer
+78
moins plus
MY CD-ROM AND DVD-ROM ICON REMOVED FROM MY COMPUTE HOW CAN I REINSTAL ROM

Answer
+60
moins plus
Ok geniuses, I have found the solution to this. Dispense with the registry fix garbage. The answer lies in computer management. Open the administrative tools and go to computer management. Open disk management. Open view, top and hit graphical. You will see the dvd rom drive. Right click on it and select change drive letter and paths. Select and drive letter and it should work. You can read about it in help.

Angad- Aug 31, 2009 12:41AM
hey dvd drive is nt in d diskmgmt also . . .
den tell me hw can i view my drive ? ? ?
beny- Sep 27, 2009 05:52AM
yes but i deleted dvd-r
albert- Oct 28, 2009 06:15PM
hi, shelly , it did worked for me , its great man, thanks a lot. i was having same problem. but with ur help it is solved now.
Charu- May 7, 2010 10:37AM
what the hell is SELECT AND drive letter supposed to mean??
this is making no sense. what do you do when you select the drive ?? Do you change the letter? If so they give you all 26 alphabets and you get another notification saying you might not be able to run programs afterwards.
Or
Do I ADD another drive letter? In which case i have to browse........

Please clarify. This absense of my drive means I"m not being able to run ANY cD!
Shaurya- Jun 11, 2010 12:50PM
Just remove the current drive letter. It will say that some programs may not work. Hit Ok, then select Change Drive Letter and Paths again and give it a different letter. It doesnt matter what letter it is, just dont select the previous one which was giving you problems. And it should work perfectly. It did for me. Thanks Shelly.
Answer
+53
moins plus
I have the same problem. My DVD-driver doesn't work at all. When I put a DVD (movies, games etc.) in my driver, nothing happens! What should I do?

Answer
+37
moins plus
I was having the same problem my computer didnot ditec an cd or dvd. i try this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 and a download microfost fix it and it work

hope it work 4 u 2

Erik- Mar 10, 2010 08:48AM
Didn't work
seven- Apr 21, 2010 06:34PM
didnt work for me
rock19- May 4, 2010 09:02AM
Thanks pau22 the given link helped me so much.
Sigh- May 7, 2010 03:51PM
I keep seeing that link, and it doesn't work for everyone. Not even when I run that "Fix It" it still cannot detect my CD/DVD drive.
MomOfTheDummyThatMessedItUp- May 29, 2010 01:08PM
Thank you for the link. (o:
Answer
+29
moins plus
My computer can not show me the CD/DVD ROM please help me. It used to show me some time back but this time around the icon has been removed from my computer and i checked in my system hardware,it said "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)". How can i view it or restore it back.

tossyne- Jan 30, 2010 08:34PM
My laptop is functioning properly but at times it does not recognize the DVD/CDRW drive. Pls help me out. what do i do to fix this problem?
davisito- Mar 13, 2010 10:28AM
Mi CD-RW e. no esta leyendo y icono no esta
Answer
+24
moins plus
my CD DVD-Rom not show please HELP ME

Answer
+20
moins plus
that didnt work shelly

Answer
+16
moins plus
please me, to install my cd-dvd rom.

Answer
+13
moins plus
In my case, I have a drive letter D next to a cdrom device that isn't real and cannot be removed.

None of the options listed in the forum solve the problem for me, and I am no
newbie. I have edited the registry, disabled the SATA port that the REAL cdrom drive uses, disabled the device in Device Manager, and ran the MS fixit app. I cannot see the drive in Disk Management, so it cannot be assigned a new drive letter.

Answer
+12
moins plus
my computer can not show me the CD/DVD ROM please help me. It used to show me some time back but this time around the icon has been removed from my computer and i checked in my system hardware,it said "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)". How can i view it or restore it back, i am using a intel core2duo processor and the make is ( Compaq cq 40)

babar- Sep 23, 2009 02:20PM
hi am using intel Centrino windosw vista 64 bit my computer is can not show CD DVD ROM pls.... hlep me
haja.s- Oct 20, 2009 01:16AM
My computer can not show me the CD/DVD ROM please help me. It used to show me some time back but this time around the icon has been removed from my computer and i checked in my system hardware,it said "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)". How can i view it or restore it back, my laptop toshiba vista satalite L 300
eron jacob- Feb 12, 2010 02:07AM
please help me install my cd/dvd rom(drive E)
Answer
+12
moins plus
hello my dvd rom/rw cannot show me any dvd and vcd when that one is put in my computer and the icon now has been removed from my computer please help me

jaun- Aug 13, 2009 05:48AM
Hey can any one help me with my laptop because my dvd/rw rom does not show on the screem and it cannot read the disks plz help me plz
SONU- Oct 14, 2009 06:43AM
My Cd/DVD drive not showing in My computer
and in the Device manager CD/DVD drive haves a yellow color exclamanation and
the message is error code 39 kindly specify me what can i do for this
so i can work properly

I shall be very thank ful to you
if you give me the required information

Yours Faithfully
Sonu
sticky- Aug 26, 2009 01:19AM
Cannot find cd 's icon's in imy computer
mike- Apr 11, 2010 05:44PM
i have the same problem plus my cd drive wont even open only had this laptop 2 months:S
Answer
+7
moins plus
Thank you so much. I was having the same problem as others after installed some video editing software and the Microsoft fix it link worked for me. All my drives are back!

beny- Sep 27, 2009 05:38AM
hi i am beny how you found cd/dvd-rom i cant found tell me how you restor it back please.........
Answer
+7
moins plus
Hello,
my computer can not show me the CD/DVD ROM please help me. It used to show me some time back but this time around the icon has been removed from my computer. How can i view it or restore it back please tell me that is important very important........please help meeeeeeeeeeee help how can i restore that shit

Answer
+7
moins plus
my cd/dvd recording drive e dont work.

Answer
+7
moins plus
my computer not show cd/dvd rom icon

Answer
+5
moins plus
It might happen when you format your computer or because of a virus but just try what I said first.

soheb- Jul 28, 2009 12:21PM
Hi,
as assalaam walikum sir can u haelp me regarding my problem,that is i am not able to see dvd rom in my laptop so can u help me please.

Regards
soheb noori
Answer
+5
moins plus
i think ,it is hardwere problem. so change data cable to check onces a time. if not work change new .it is better than other.

Answer
+4
moins plus
You need to download drivers for it.
This used to happen to me.
Check the support site for your pc and download th e drivers.
Hope This helped.

Thank you,
Ali J.

Answer
+3
moins plus
Change the IDE or SATA cable it will work

1 2 Next
This document entitled « computer can not show the CD/DVD ROM(Drive E) » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.