WiFi problems with router

Closed
Jack - Dec 13, 2010 at 02:23 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Dec 13, 2010 at 04:48 PM
Hello,

My internet was working fine until it suddenly disconnected. I called Comcast and technical support restarted my modem but the internet was still off. I was then told to disconnect my PC from the router and connect the PC to the modem instead, and the internet came back, but my WiFi doesn't work. How can I fix this problem, or is there a way to restart my info.

Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Dec 13, 2010 at 04:48 PM
It does sound like the router has failed. Sometimes you can fix this problem by resetting the router to factory condition. There is normally a "reset switch" in a hole on the back of the router. With the router powered on, press a pen into the hole and hold it in for 30 seconds. Connect the router back to the Comcast Modem and use a computer that is connected by wire to set the wifi ID and security key. Then see if you can find the wifi ID using the laptop.

The life span of these cheap wifi routers is some where between 1 and 5 years. I have replaced 3 in the past 10 years and my daughters failed after less than 1 year.

Next time please add the word "please" and you will avoid the forum police.

Good Luck