Ethernet Controller not recognized

Closed
Tower - Nov 7, 2010 at 07:52 AM
 Blocked Profile - Nov 8, 2010 at 09:07 AM
Hello,
I am fixing my friends computer. I needed to replaced the hard drive. He also wanted an upgrade. So I purchased a SATA hard drive and an IDE/SATA converter cable. Installation went smooth. Then I had to re-install windows xp home edition onto it. He did not have a windows CD or any CD for that matter. So, I downloaded a non-cracked version of windows xp home edition SP2. I'm not really sure if his windows xp product key will only work with SP1 or any SP. I tried installing SP1 first but windows had an issue recognizing the ethernet controller, Multimedia Audio Controller, PCIsimple Communications Controller, and Video Controller( VGA] Compatible). I tried updating the driver from the same CD I downloaded from the net and still nothing work. So, I downloaded another version of Windows xp home edition thinking that maybe it was just a bad windows CD. After a re-installation. Still the same issue. The lights light up in the ethernet port when I plug in an ethernet cable]. I just can't seem to think what to do next. I took extra caution to not harm any hardware when I was installing the new HD. I made sure to release any static build up before touching components. This is a Dell desktop. Serial number 8w1d961, Model number DMC. Any solutions would be much appreciated
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Nov 7, 2010 at 01:00 PM
You need to download the drives from Dell on another computer. Then copy them to a CD and use the CD to install them on your friends computer.

Good Luck
Blocked Profile
Nov 8, 2010 at 09:07 AM
Hi,

I totally agree with xpcman,well here is the official download link :

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx

You can also transfer the drivers to a pendrive or any removable device which is not necessary to be on a cd ,

Thanks