Problem with AT&T Modem and Linksys Router

Solved/Closed
Melza - Dec 22, 2008 at 02:41 PM
 Kash - Nov 10, 2014 at 03:23 AM
Hello,

I am having a problem with getting internet connection after connecting my Linksys WRT54g router to my AT&T DSL/Cable modem. I went through the entire setup process with no problem and then I received the message that the router was unable to connect to the internet. From reading some of the other issues, I'm wondering if my WEP security could be the problem. Please advise. Thanks
Related:

26 responses

Sometimes the DSL modem is using the same local TCP/IP address. For example if your router is using 192.168.1.1 and your new modem also has a hard-coded IP address that is identical, you won't get internet traffic. Change the router address to 192.168.2.1. That should get your internet access working.
I. Love. You. Changed the router from the 1 to the 2 and IT WORKS. I officially hate ATT even more than I used to.
hi, when I search for a new connection, I find a linksys, but I don't know if it is ours, what does a linksys router look like?
just found out you dont need a extra router. the modem has a built in router. in the network area you should see "2WIRE" thats your you'll just need to know the password and AT&T should be able to help obtain one

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Alright.. So here I am.. Brand new desktop. I've got all of the drivers installed for my NETGEAR WG311v3 network card. I tried the linksys one that we had in the other desktop before we ran cat6 to it. The linksys card did not work. Recently I am getting 1 mbps. Now I am in the basement and the router and modem are on the top floor, however my laptop gets wireless just fine. I've tried adjusting the antenna on the back of the network card and have had no luck. I'm using a 128 bit encryption for all 5 computers that have access to the network. I have tried the good ole' unplug the modem for 10 seconds and let it reset itself.. pretty much the only thing ATT customer service people will help me with. I'm not wanting to have to change all of my network settings because then I have to redo the settings on all 5 computers. The modem is one of the westell ones.. It was white to start with but it has turned a yellowish color .. guessing from the heat it gives off. I was on the internet having no trouble at all.. even with the netgear network card. I've been pinging the router and I am getting an avg. of 11 ms response time. We have gone through 4 or 5 linksys routers.. all set up professionally.. I am so frustrated with the internet going on and off. It isnt only my desktop that's being affected. We have another desktop upstairs that has been disconnecting recently too.
Hope someone can help.. before this linksys router find's itself to the shooting range- as the target. Router model is WRT160N I changed the IP to 192.168.2.1 and had no luck at all. I suppose that nobody is reading this thread anymore.. Was really hoping to get some answers to what might be going on. I might just have to go get a nice netgear router. Also I'd like to add that my laptop which normally gets good signal down here in the basement.. the internet on it is at a crawling speed. Honestly people this is worse than dial up! It's pretty sad when you get excited when your internet speed goes to 2 mbps!
will my linksys rout
er work with any modem