Unable to connect to certain sites

Solved/Closed
kingwolf - Oct 1, 2010 at 12:59 PM
 samapplepie - Jun 24, 2013 at 03:23 PM
Hello,
Alright, I am attempting to view certain sites such as http://melanthios-ana.com/zcvisitor/9674a245-3e1a-11eb-9b26-0a31affeb06b/72092e88-2c53-401c-b988-51ef43ce1034?campaignid=47f83760-f118-11ea-9bc8-0ac2bbf4ada7 and http://ww16.bakabt.com/?sub1=20201215-0142-2916-b43c-345a7fefbe97 and well for some reason my desktop cannot connect to these websites, yet my laptop can. ive tried firefox, chrome, and IE. ive also checked my hosts file in system32/drivers/etc and there is nothing udnerneath all the #'s, so idk what to do. any help would be appreciative.

5 responses

Hello,
I had the same problem for a couple of weeks - looked through loads and loads of articles and read lots of technical info - most of it useless. My fix, in the end was simple, my Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program had 'Website Blocking' checked. Unchecked and voila, everything back to normal. So simple that I never even thought to look at it. If you have a program like this then check it.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Oct 8, 2010 at 06:14 AM
Thank you Anon but you see the situation here is different because it is not the retail edition of Malwarebyte that is involved.
Regards
actually it is the retail version that I have. where is the website blocking tab at?
OMG it fixed it! thank you anon! I love you and thanks Ambuciaz and jack for trying :D I appreciate it greatly :)
Many thanks for that - its sorted now
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Oct 6, 2010 at 10:34 AM
Hello kingwolf,

Try this 1.

1) As suggested by my friend "Ambucias" try accessing those sites putting them in

trusted zone.

2) Click on Start --> In search box, type firewall.cpl and press "Enter".

"Windows Firewall Settings" window will be opened. Click on "Exceptions" tab -->

Check the check-box (Select the option) "World Wide Web Services(HTTP)".

3) If the problem still exists try disabling your firewall and antivirus temporary

then try to access the those sites.

Good Luck.
alright I cant seem to find the exceptions tab in my firewall settings, but I did disable both my firewall and my AV and then tried to access the sites and still did not work.
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Oct 6, 2010 at 12:57 PM
Hello,
Try this 1
1)Go to "Control Panel" --> System and Security --> Click "Allow Programs and Features" under "Windows Firewall" and then Click "Change Settings" --> Check the check-box (Select the option) "World Wide Web Services(HTTP)".
If the problem still exists then
2) Click on Start --> In search box, type cmd and press Enter. Command prompt will be opened.
Type this command.
ipconfig /flushdns ---> press Enter.
Also try to ping those sites from the command prompt. Example, the command to ping google is
ping www.google.com
Make sure that you should get reply messages.
If the problem still exists, then check your router. Try restarting your router.
Good Luck.
well tis just no firefox, or ie, or chrome, ive even tried downloading opera and still doesn;t work, I am also the administrator of my computer. and proxies seem to work o.o I was able to access both sites using one.
i dont have parental controls active though...

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
and its not possible to activate parental controls on an administrator account, I jsut tried and it wouldn't let me.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Oct 4, 2010 at 07:57 AM
Hi
Have you checked to see if those sites might be on your restricted site list?
its clear there is no sites under my blocked site section of my options.
Oct 5, 2010 at 04:21 AM
That is really strange. I can access them in 2 seconds flat!

I suggest three things if the first one fails go to the next step:

1. Clean you cache, all temps files and cookies.
2. Check you antivirus for blocked sites.
3. Make a search for thoramine and bakabt in your registry and delete the value if found,
cleared my chache and everything, checked my av, nothing, and searched my registry nothin either :\ hmm im thinking it might b a virus that my av doesnt detect or something along them lines, so I might have to do a full reformat >.< ive also ran my AV and anti malware/.spyware scans just in case and nothin.
Oct 6, 2010 at 08:57 AM
Your majesty the Wolf

Please do not reformat if you think it's virus, use Malwarebyte

Download, install and run Malwarebyte which you can find on this site:

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4621-malwarebytes-anti-malware/ es-anti-malware

Ensure you make an update.

Please request a FULL system scan, which may take from 20 minutes to hours. Do not interfere no matter how long in takes. The creators of Malwarebyte recommend that while the tool is running that you go do something else, such as watching a rerun of Gone with the Wind or read Tolstoy's War and Peace.

If Malwarebyte restarts your system, launch it again to finish the Full scan.

When the scan is completed, delete all items found.

Once your computer is clean and working normally just to be on the safe side
*Turn off system restore and wait 30 seconds,
*Turn it back on and create a new restore point.

This way it gets rid of anything bad that might have gotten saved in a restore point and you have a clean restore point to use in the near future if needed.
Do not turn it off until your computer is clean and working normally because you might need to use it if something goes wrong during the clean-up process.
It is better to go back to an infected restore point if something goes wrong then to not be able to undo changes that were damaging.