Computer screen goes black...

Closed
salgoods - Sep 7, 2010 at 09:28 PM
 salgoods - Sep 8, 2010 at 08:46 AM
Hello,

I have an HP computer and my problem is for a while now my screen would flicker every now and then. then it would just go out completely but i would move the mouse around and it would come back on. then it moved on to where it would go black and moving the mouse wouldnt work, i had to close the screen, wait, then open it back up and all would be fine. now closing the screen does not work anymore. my screen stays black...not completely black as i can see enough to see the screen is on but i can see the mouse cursor nor much else. tried going into safe mode but i can barely tell what is what because i cant see anything. using windows vista

Related:

2 responses

Mattie Posts 26 Registration date Friday July 23, 2010 Status Member Last seen April 26, 2011 12
Sep 7, 2010 at 11:10 PM
Faulty Graphics Card:

The reason why your computer monitor goes black is due to a faulty graphics card. The best way to detect this kind of problem is to connect up a new monitor to your PC, then check if you have a blank screen. If you continue to have a blank screen, then it's likely your video card is faulty.

Faulty RAM:

This one is less obvious and less common, but it can happen. You might sometimes get bad RAM modules which prevent your PC from booting up even to the basic BIOS startup screen. To detect this kind of problem is more troublesome, you might need to remove those RAM modules and insert them into another computer.

Loose Connections:

Another reason why your monitor goes blank is due to loose connections. The connection from the monitor to the mains is usually a culprit, as is the connection between the monitor and the video card. Check those connections before you declare your computer monitor as faulty.

A Short Circuit In The Motherboard:

And the final reason why your computer monitor goes blank? It's possibly because of a short circuit in the motherboard. This is the most undesirable outcome of course, as you might have to replace your entire motherboard. However, it's possible that this can happen - so keep your fingers crossed and hope it doesn't happen to you.
thanks and your answer is much appreciated but this is a laptop. any ways i can check these things myself?