Screen issues - almost illegible

Closed
hollimana - Dec 17, 2008 at 04:01 PM
 hollimana - Dec 19, 2008 at 03:51 PM
Hello,

I am having screen issues. A couple days ago vertical lines started appearing on my screen - about four of them, that keep wobbling and make it nearly impossible to read the screen. Sometimes (rarely) the vertical lines kind of lessen in intensity, and other times they are awful. The top of the screen is also impacted by the 'interference' with a horizontal line.

I have run virus checkers (e.g. AVG) and it did find a Trojan Standard 5 virus which I think it sorted out (i.e. it no longer finds anything when I run the antivirus). I have checked the connections between the screen and the PC (it.s a Dell) and they are fine.

Do you guys think it may still be a virus ? could it be the graphics card ? I personally think it's a virus since it all started going wrong after the Trojan was spotted. It would be a bit of a coincidence for the graphics card to go at the same time.

Don't know what to do and I am starting to get desperate.

HELP !!!!

A

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Dec 17, 2008 at 04:12 PM
wobbling lines sounds like a hardware problem (video card or monitor). If this is a Desktop PC you can replace the video card with another. See if you can get an older one from a friend for testing.
I also thought that initially but PC getting slower and internet explorer constantly crashes
Hi,

It was the video card. Took it out, gave it a wipe and inserted it back in.

My PC screen is now fine and I am mightily relieved.

Thanks for taking the time to respond !

A