Computer crashed, no signal on monitor!!!!

Closed
rusery Posts 3 Registration date Saturday August 14, 2010 Status Member Last seen August 15, 2010 - Aug 14, 2010 at 03:11 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Aug 16, 2010 at 12:47 AM
Hey guys I am sorry if this is a repetitive question!

I built a system about a year ago and everything has been great until today when I was surfing the net. The computer crashed and sent me to a blue screen with a bunch of diagnostics that didn't mean much to me so I turned the computer off to reboot. As the computer turned on everything was fine. The computer made no odd noises but the monitor has no signal. The computer seems to be normal other than that.

I'm thinking it is my video card but a lot of forums say it is possible my PSU (for w/e reason) and some say its my Mobo. I'm thinking it cant be my PSU or mobo because I have all the normal lights and behavior with all my fans running.
I also unplugged my DVD drive and most of my fans so its not my all of the sudden my build is sucking too much power.

I have also reset most of my major components like my video card, ram and checked all my plugs to see if something came loose and no luck.

so right now im thinkin its my Vcard but I really want some tech input on this!!

thanks a lot guys!

Related:

3 responses

rusery Posts 3 Registration date Saturday August 14, 2010 Status Member Last seen August 15, 2010 1
Aug 15, 2010 at 09:13 PM
Hey there ok so heres what I have done thus far in regards to Xpcman.

took out both sticks of ram, started it up got 3 beeps

took out video card and put 1 stick of ram in and go NO beeps

took out both the video card and ram and got 3 beeps (probably because of the ram)

no power to the mouse or keyboard with any of these tries and no signal to the monitor.
rusery Posts 3 Registration date Saturday August 14, 2010 Status Member Last seen August 15, 2010 1
Aug 15, 2010 at 09:21 PM
I also went out and bought a corsair 550W PSU and swapped it in and took out my coolermaster 500W. I got the same results. Im guessing this means I can scratch the PSU off the fried list?
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Aug 14, 2010 at 06:52 PM
Does the computer play the Windows start-up sound? That's the only way for you to determine if Windows in booting and you have a problem with the video card.

Fans running, hard drives spinning and DVD drives lighting up have little to do with the functioning of the motherboard.

You can remove the videocard and the MB should beep.
You can remove the memory and you should get a different beep code.

Report back after you try these.

Good Luck
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Aug 16, 2010 at 12:47 AM
No power to the keyboard/mouse might indicate a bad Motherboard. I would first try another videocard before I would replace the MB.

Good Luck