Windows 7 doesn't read my Camera file system

Closed
Sanman - Aug 9, 2010 at 01:06 PM
 dan d - Mar 3, 2016 at 05:46 PM
Hello,

I have an old laptop which I upgraded from XP MCE to Windows 7. Since the upgrade I've noticed that Windows 7 OS no longer recognizes my SD cards from a Nikon D40X DSLR camera or the Micro SD card my LG Shine Phone. A message pops up requesting that windows doesn't recognize the file system and that I format the disk. These cards are also not readable on my brother's computer which he also upgraded to Windows 7 - 64 bit. However if I put either of the cards into my dad's computer with Windows 7 they both read just fine. I checked the file system of the card while in my dad's computer and it says it is FAT 32 file system. Now if I put the cards back in to the phone or the camera and connect them to the computer the cards are readable on my computer. Also in the past when running XP MCE, these cards were readable by my computer if I were to plug them in directly. Is there a setting in Windows 7 I need to turn on? The only difference between my dad's system and my brother and mine are that we have the professional version and our dad has Windows Home premium. My dad's computer is also a SONY Viao touchscreen that was configured by SONY. My brother and I installed the OS ourselves using the Upgrade version from XP. Any advice?

Related:

3 responses

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Aug 9, 2010 at 02:25 PM
Hello,

Try this 1.

Click on Start --> In search box, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.

"Device Manager" will be opened. If you notice any yellow mark, then install

the drivers. You can download the drivers from the manufacture website.

Good Luck.
Everything is installed fine. There are no Yellow triangles or apostrophies indicating a driver error. The multi card reader shows fine. Just the media is not recognized by Windows. As though I have an unformated media in the drive.
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Aug 9, 2010 at 03:17 PM
Hello,
Are you using card reader ? Let me know the brand name and model number.
There is a built in SD card reader on my laptop, but there is no driver for Windows 7 and the OS doesn't recognize the drive.

I am using a card reader. Model might be called "USB-Card Reader", as there is no other name listed. Model No: UCR-61. It is likely generic as it was pretty cheap when I bought it.

The card reader appears to be working fine. It reads the data from my Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo which I use for my Sony T200 Camera and it also reads the data from a Scan Disk "SD card" from my Casion Exilim camera. Each opens using Auto Play in Windows 7. And I can also drag and drop in My Computer.

The strange thing is that when I put in the SD card formatted in a Nikon camera and a Micro SD card formatted in my LG phone, I get the message "You need to format the disk before you can use it". These cards do contain data which can be accessed trough the my dad's Viao with Windows 7. I can also read the data if I connect camera or phone directly to my computer. I don't know if my dad's computer has a multimedia software installed or something enabled in Windows 7 since it came configured from Sony. These cards did read properly on my laptop when I had Widows XP installed.
Go to your install DVD and unpack boot.wim somewhere, than pick the file FASTFAT.SYS inside the unpacked Windows\System32\drivers folder.
Now go to your system folder (c:\windows), system32\drivers, manage the security of fastfat.sys in order for you to be able to delete the file and replace with the fasftat.sys provided from your DVD.
Restart your computer.
change usb setting on your camera to mass storage.