About hosting, forum and advertising

Closed
bob666 Posts 6 Registration date Tuesday January 8, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 4, 2008 - Feb 19, 2008 at 08:14 AM
nerds Posts 4 Registration date Tuesday January 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen February 27, 2008 - Feb 19, 2008 at 12:02 PM
I'd like to find out what is the best Web hosting company to use for two different web project:

1- A website with a forum on it
2- A standalone (simple) forum

Another question: what is the best overall and the simplest software/techniques for building up a forum and managing it easily?

Also, I would like to find out some of the most reliable ways to advertise...

Thanks a lot.

1 response

nerds Posts 4 Registration date Tuesday January 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen February 27, 2008
Feb 19, 2008 at 12:02 PM
There are lots of good hosts. You should just search around on Google for top 10 hosts or something and mainly look at the prices - cause services are usually pretty much the same. Make sure you research each one to make sure they have all the features that you are looking for.

Personally, I'm with Host Monster now and so far they are great. The support and customer service are very good and the rates pretty cheap. Installing a forum was very easy too. I just opened up the control panel and had a choice of installing 3 different kind of forum. Just clicked on install and everything was setup. Not more difficult!

As for forums, there are a few choices for that. PHPBB, PunBB, SMF, are all good in my opinion and free.

Invision Power Boards, and vBulletin are excellent, but both of them do cost money.

About your last question, a great way to advertise is to pay the various search engines (Yahoo, Google, Microsoft) for their advertising programs. You'll also need some good knowledge in Search Engine Optimization (SEO) to find out how to properly setup your site for the most hits from search engines.

Hope that'll help.