Ask a question Report

The sound in my HP laptop just stop working [Solved/Closed]

Sandy - Latest answer on Nov 2, 2012 01:33AM
Hello,
I have gone to Sounds in the Control Panel and checked all of the settings and my sound does not work. It is not muted or low - it does not work. Hoever, it does work when you use headphones.
Any ideas as to what is wrong with it? Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Read more 
Answer
+333
moins plus
Check your manual. Do you have a PF key or set of key strokes that deactivates the speakers?

Another problem can be with the headphone jack itself: This is what another person said:

The headphone input jack is stuck, there is a small switch inside the jack which shuts off the speakers when headphones are plugged in. When the headphones are pulled out, the speakers turn on again.

The thing you have to do is figure out which headphone jack you were using when you noticed this(i'm assuming you have 2 like mine).

My problem was that my girlfriend put an iPod video cable into my headphone jack to connect it to our stereo. It fits the hack but instead of a stereo 1/8" plug with 2 sections, it has 3 which makes it slightly longer which is what stuck the internal switch inside the jack and disabled the speakers.

Rather than bringing my computer to get fixed, I just took a pair of headphones and inserted them into the jack repeatedly, at different speeds. Mostly what worked was putting it in and pulling it out rather quickly. have a song playing looped while you do it so that you can tell if it worked or not. It will take some time and patience.

smasjkdsdhasdoi- Oct 24, 2009 05:37PM
thank you so much1!!!
Mo- Oct 9, 2012 04:20PM
You are awesome, thanks!
skittles2622- Oct 12, 2012 11:54AM
Thank you! This worked for my Dell laptop as well. I can finally listen to my playlist while writing again!
xpcman 10988Posts Wednesday October 8, 2008Registration date ModeratorStatus April 17, 2015Last seen - Oct 17, 2012 01:27PM
you can try the Microsoft FixIt web site:

http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/?fi=50362
goregirl 1Posts Friday November 2, 2012Registration date November 2, 2012Last seen - Nov 2, 2012 01:33AM
THANK YOU, xpcman! I've been messing with the sound for weeks! Couldn't figure out what plug I could have used so I used a stir-stik. Fail! Looked around and picked up the cord to my 2nd monitor. Worked the first time I followed your directions.
Answer
+183
moins plus
How do you reinstall the sound driver settings? I am having the same problem the volume on my laptop is not working i will go to listen to something and nether my headphones or my speaker will make noise. This has happened once before and after a few minutes of fiddling it came back on but I can not figure it out this time around.

Answer
+66
moins plus
hey everyone, my HP dv5 has also got a sound problem. but it's quite tricky - either the system and music players sound, or sound from browser doesnt work after running the laptop for a while (sometimes 5 min, sometimes several hours). I always have to restart, then it works again...
does anyone have any idea about this?

Banu- Oct 2, 2009 02:26PM
Hi ,

I m not able to hear the sound in my laptop, its HP dv4-1114nr , whenever its not working I had to restart my laptop and it works fine.I tried to test the sound settings when its not working and that time also I couldnt hear it properly.Please help
Answer
+46
moins plus
this is a common fault with these hp notebook .try squeezing the laptop along near the power button and along towards the volume button but very common near the power the sound will come on and go off when depressed theres a video of this problem on you yube.my laptop has the same problem.there must be a loose connecton near the power button.may need to be opened up and resoldered.i am looking for video on how to open the casing on my laptop.heres the link might solve youre problem , and save time install ad uninstalling drivers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLlDLVXvRA4

Mike0005- Apr 18, 2009 06:05PM
Heres another problem that i'm having. My sound suddenly goes mute. Speakers and headphones do not work. I would go into the sound settings and it would still show it playing and now it doesn't show the driver at all. I've tried the whole thing with uninstalling and reinstalling but nothing has worked.
dv6000-owner- Sep 6, 2009 04:18PM
Thank you! I pressed the laptop plastic above he Esc key and below the Power button and the blue LED of the power button came on and the sound started to come out of the speakers! I'll be taking it apart tonight to solder things back up.

btw, I have a hp pavillion dv6000
Answer
+18
moins plus
Thanks for your advice! Really helpful! I shoved the headphone jack in there really fast and boom, speakers worked again!

Will have to go without using headphones for a while, obviously it's a little damaged....

Answer
+16
moins plus
hi.

can someone help me.

i put new windows xp on my dell inspiron 6400 and now the sound dont work. it just beeps.
can someone help me please.

Answer
+15
moins plus
I had the same problem i reinstall sounds drivers and it's working now

max- May 3, 2009 10:51AM
hi.i did not hear any sound on my laptop.
Answer
+9
moins plus
ohhh thank you soooo much!! the headphone thing was the problem for me. thanks!!!

Answer
+8
moins plus
I was reading through all of your answers, because I was having the same problems. Putting in and taking out my headphones did work, Thank You sooo much for the idea!!!!

Answer
+7
moins plus
thanx,

i had to play with the jack ( no pun intended ) with a song on repeat.

:)

Answer
+7
moins plus
Thank you sooooooooo much! My heaphones were working - sound wasnt. I jiggled around the headphone jack and it worked! Yay!

Answer
moins plus
You need to go to www.Dell.com and click on Support. Then find the correct hardware device drivers for your PC. Download and install the drivers. That should fix your problem.

Good Luck

This document entitled « The sound in my HP laptop just stop working » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.