Kioskea
Recherche
Ask a question Report

External Hard Drive with no File system [Solved/Closed]

dr.eggman789 2Posts Wednesday November 5, 2008Registration date November 5, 2008Last seen - Latest answer on Jan 24, 2014 08:28PM
Hello,
Hi, I have a Maxtor OneTouch 500GB external hard drive that unfortunately has no File system. The drive registers under Device Manager, but not My Computer or Disk Management, and therefore has to letter assignment.
Does anyone know how to load FAT32 onto this disk? If not, any file system will do.
Thanks so much in advance,
Jake
Read more 
Answer
+199
moins plus
I have a wd1600 bev passport external hard drive. I have a lot of pictures on it of my son. I went to use it today and nothing. It showed up in my computer but everytime i tried to click on it nothing sometimes i would get format message and i clicked no.. i did the management disk thing and it looks like there is nothing on my external hard drive :( is there anything that i can do to get this pics back it is the only copy i have of them. I will need you to really spell it out for me because I am not that great with computer. I would like something free but if i have to pay I have to pay. These pics are priceless.. please help

Answer
+90
moins plus
IF YOUR HARD DRIVE WAS WORKING BEFORE AND ALL OF A SUDDEN IT STOPPED BEING DETECTED... YOU NEED DATA RECOVERY SERVICE LIKE THE ONE LISTED BELOW...

IF THIS IS A NEW HARD DRIVE AND YOU'RE TRYING TO FORMAT IT FOR USE,,,
THEN TRY THIS:

1. RIGHT CLICK ON "MY COMPUTER", AND CLICK ON "MANAGE"

2. WHEN "COMPUTER MANAGEMENT" POPS UP, CLICK ON --> "DISK MANAGEMENT" ON THE LEFT pane.

--->> DO NOT DO THE WIZARD CUZ THAT MIGHT DEFAULT TO NTFS....!!!

3. Right Click on the Disk that's your External Drive (that you want to Partition and Format to FAT32)
-->CAREFULL YOU DONT CHOOSE THE WRONG ONE CUZ THAT WILL DESTROY THE CONTENTS AND YOU'LL HAVE A BIGGER HEAD ACHE ON YOUR HANDS.

4. MARK PARTITION AS ACTIVE

5. FORMAT to FAT32 (BTW, Dont make it a Dynamic Drive, thats for RAID use)

Good luck
-------------
http://www.EpicDataRecovery.com

tigergriz Bill0 - Sep 19, 2009 04:36AM
nice job Billo, the tokiwa fat 32 formatter program worked, i was afraid I would have to crack open the tower and connect as a slave but the formater seems to be working fine and the surpising thing for me was my usb drive did not show up in my comp. but the formatter has a drop down and you sure do want to choose the correct drive as it was defaulted to my "C" drive, this is great no cracking open the case and hooking up as slave just to format a drive, so freakin windows will see it as a drive via USB.
zahijani Bill0 - Feb 26, 2010 08:35AM
Thanks brother
i like it
and appreciating you..........good work man.
subhron 2Posts Sunday December 27, 2009Registration date December 27, 2009Last seen - Dec 27, 2009 09:32PM
I have imac and I am using Maxtor 500GB external harddisk. I had formatted using apple Disk utility and it was working fine. But one day suddenly it stopped showing on the desktop and I am unable to access it now. I can feel the disk rotating and the light is on on the HDD. It used to flicker when it was accessible now the light is just on..

I bought this hard disk through ebay and now I find my self helpless. After seeing your post, I am hopeful of getting it back..
Pls help me in getting disk accessible to me.. I am using OS 10.6 (Snow leopard)

Pls help me
Thanks in anticipation

regards

Subhron
Raj- Oct 12, 2012 08:06PM
Dear sir, thanks so very much for your wise suggestion.I have successfully followed your steps and i would like to say from the bottom of my heart.......you are a saviour......your Indian friend.
zapot- Nov 4, 2012 09:41PM
THANK YOU!!! My Snuggy (my external drive's nickname) is now working properly.

Cheers!
Answer
+63
moins plus
I have a seagate 250g external drive that i was extracting info from and then it stopped, and was not recognized by any computers, it shows up empty and only appears on disc managers, don't want to lose my info what can i do

Answer
+33
moins plus
Same problem. New hard drive in usb enclosure does not show up in My Computer. Followed Nick's procedure and fixed the problem. Thanks Nick

Answer
+18
moins plus
Hey guys need help, I have 3 TB running and everything was fine until I restarted and then they are detected and accessible but they the reading and transfer of the files is extremely slow like I mean 1-3kb a sec. instead of MBs so they are virtually useless, and I don't have any idea what the problem is? please help these drives are less than a month

Answer
+16
moins plus
Thanks Billo!!!!!!!! You saved me money! My external HD was bricked and this saved it!

Answer
+12
moins plus
Plug it into your computer, then go to my computer. under devices with removable storage. right click on your external hard drive and go to format then under file system scroll down to fat32 and put it the name of your hard drive and hit start. good luck!

Cheryl LordMorpheus - Feb 19, 2010 10:22PM
hello there. I would like to restore the items in my harddisk. im using MAXTOR 500GB.
Desperately need the many data stored. Please help me out.
Everytime i plug in my hard disk, the computer doesnt seem to detect it.

thankyou!!! :)
boogie LordMorpheus - Feb 22, 2010 12:53PM
Hellp i had external hard drive that just went out on me i orderd a device that lets you hook it up to the computer but the computer still does not read it its asking me to format i dont want to lose the data thats on my drive do you know a way that i can retrieve my things?
stilly LordMorpheus - Mar 4, 2010 09:19AM
Hello.

I saw your post and I thought I would start with what you know.

I have a drive that was given to me for data recovery and it shows up under disk management as 73GB with NTFS file system and as healthy, but it does not give any drive letters assigned or allow me to access it through usb connection. I need to pull off a bunch of photos and then it can be tossed, but do you know of any disk program that might allow me to access it? I have just started looking for answers. THanks if you can answer this.
sadhu Jake - Nov 19, 2009 11:47PM
FAT32 has an upper limit of 32,767 GB. Cannot have a larger drive. If you need larger, you must go to NTFS or else instal Linux.
john- Jan 24, 2014 08:28PM
how would you know if its done?
Answer
+10
moins plus
But I'm not using it for my xbox or computer, so like I said, I need to get it in FAT32...

Answer
+10
moins plus
i have two harddrives i was installing os's on for my brother. i was putting xp pro on one and ubuntu on another. and both worked at one point. but i formatted them and tried installing these and it says not harddrive is inserted.... wtf do i do? and whats wrong?

jstme- Dec 31, 2009 02:39AM
Hey I just ran into this thread looking for a way to fix my issue of windows not seeing my hdd with no drive letter assigned.
I have " EASEUS partition manager" installed .free version
It allowed me to assign a drive letter without reformatting.
Hope that helps someone else.

have a blessed new year everyone
Answer
+8
moins plus
WOW, nice job Billo the tokiwa fat 32 formater program worked, i was afraid I would have to crack open the tower and connect as a slave but the formater seems to be working fine and the surpising thing for me was my usb drive did not show up in my comp. but the formatter has a drop down and you sure do want to choose the correct drive as it was defaulted to my "C" drive, this is great no cracking open the case and hooking up as slave just to format a drive, so freakin windows will see it as a drive via USB.

thanks all.

Answer
+5
moins plus
Hi,

I have problem i reinstalled Windows and now i use NTFS, but my old HD(MAXTOR) is on FAT32
and there are files what i need, so formating isn't the right choice, what to do then?

justlooking- Feb 20, 2010 11:43AM
From what i remember, Windows XP can still access HDD with Fat32 partition. Try connecting it first see if it will be detected. Cheers!
Answer
+5
moins plus
My FAT 32 USB storage device has many files but refusing to open. What to do?

John Daly- Jul 28, 2010 06:23AM
You must have a valid backup of your drive which is the backbone of every hard drive owner incase of any data loss disaster.I think you should check your backup data first..
Answer
+4
moins plus
NickNYC & Dr Morpheus,

Thank you for helping *me* (a nameless lurker) with this same problem. I bought a 500GB SATA drive and PCI host card to add on to my 6-y/o computer, and though I was able to successfully install the thing (and see it in the device manager), it had no letter and therefore was useless.

It's currently formatting (59% done - golly but 500GB takes a long time to format!!) so I don't know for sure if it's going to work, but at least it's Drive F: now. Yay!!!

I have spent lterally weeks on this, learning how to FLASH my BIOS, mucking around with Driver Detective, installing, unistalling and re-installing the PCI card & drive over and over. Ugh! I was pretty sure I needed to format the new disk, but didn't know how to do it w/o a drive letter.

Thanks!!!!

Phil

(Now I can try installing the other 500GB drive into my wife's old Dell........)

Answer
+4
moins plus
I hope this helps you out i have just done my hard drive and this will work?

To create a new FAT32 partition or logical drive in Windows XP, follow these steps:
1. Log on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
2. Click Start, then right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
3. In the console tree, click Disk Management.
4. In the Disk Management window, do one of the following:
o To create a new partition, right-click unallocated space on the basic disk where you want to create the partition, and then click New Partition.

-or-
o To create a new logical drive in an extended partition, right-click free space on an extended partition where you want to create the logical drive, and then click New Logical Drive.
5. In the New Partition Wizard, click Next.
6. Click the type of partition that you want to create (Primary partition, Extended partition, or Logical drive), and then click Next.
7. Specify the size of the partition in the Partition size in MB box, and then click Next.
8. Assign a drive letter or drive path to your new partition or logical drive, and then click Next.
9. Click Format this partition with the following settings, and then do the following:
o Click FAT32 in the File system box.
o Type a name for the volume in the Volume label box.

If you want, you can also change the disk allocation unit size, or specify whether you want to perform a quick format.
10. Click Next.
11. Confirm that the options that you selected are correct, and then click Finish.
The new partition or logical drive is created and appears in the appropriate basic disk in the Disk Management window.

Answer
+3
moins plus
hey there,

just try to get a software called stellar phoenix fat32 ntfs creator and just run the software on your pc and after that your hard drive should be working fine.

but all depends on the degree on how much the hard drive file sytem has been damaged and sometimes you dont have any choice except than to reformat the drive.

Answer
+3
moins plus
I have a 320GB SATA external hard drive. My friend installed Ubuntu OS in it. Now all of my files are gone. But that's not my prob. My problem is that, it can be detected by Windows but I can't see it on My Computer. It is also listed in the device manager. I can safely remove it, but there's no way I can't access it. Please help me with this.

jaomain- Dec 2, 2009 12:03PM
sakura-

Use explore2fs in Windows to explore your ubuntu files on linux partition. By default Windows
can't read linux partitions, so you can use that program I recomended above and you will have
access to your linux partition/drive.
Khiang- Jun 6, 2010 08:37AM
HI sakura
i have a problem with my usb flash , i cant format it
Answer
+3
moins plus
I was able to reformat an HITACHI 500 gig external drive from my Bell 9242 PVR using disk manager by first deleting the existing partition and creating a new NTFS partition. It would seem I could have used Fat32formatter in the first place. It's formatting now. Thank You

Answer
+2
moins plus
gman...There must be some hardware problem in your external drive either you may use any Boot DVD cd to fetch your data or use a data recovery software so that you can atleast save your precious data.I used Stellar Phoenix Macintosh Data Recovery program could atleast save your data.But you have not mentioned which OS the drive was..Stellar Phoenix Mac is meant for Mac OS X hard drives..

Answer
+1
moins plus
you could try using a pc running xp and use a program called swissknife, that might help !

Answer
+0
moins plus
Hi,

I have a lenova laptop. I have format my C drive and install windows xp os with NTFS (full formated).
Unfortuantlly i am unable to access my D Drive as this is not having any file system. I am unable to access this from disk management. I have very important data in it can some one know any solution about this problem.

Thanks in advance

Pankaj

1 2 Next
This document entitled « External Hard Drive with no File system » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.