Internet connected but cannot browse?

Closed
Anonymous User - May 15, 2010 at 03:24 AM
mrrigga Posts 196 Registration date Wednesday May 5, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen July 14, 2010 - May 15, 2010 at 12:58 PM
Hello,
well here's the background to my problem:
I'm running xp sp3 on a dell inspiron 1300 and 4 years old, and yesterday it updated and ran a windows malware removal tool. I checked on the net and it seemed to be genuine. It said it had a virus (can't remember what called but had a short file path and possibly had h2 in there somewhere?) and I let it remove it. moments after, my Internet would not work. I am writing this on my iPod touch. at first I feared it could be an antivirus or firewall. I deleted my free trial of norton and (expired) mcafee. no help. I'm very amateur with computers and genuinely have no idea what the problem is! Internet works fine everywhere else on wireless network, and i'm suspicious of the windows malicious software removal thing. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

3 responses

mrrigga Posts 196 Registration date Wednesday May 5, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen July 14, 2010 119
May 15, 2010 at 04:18 AM
Hi
Without the name of the virus program it might be a bit hit and miss However the virus that the Malware tool detected should be in the programs virus vault or scan results.
It sounds to me like you picked up security centre virus which is a fake anti-virus removal program so follow these steps even if it is not Security Centre it wont do any harm and could solve your problem.
The way to clear security centre is to open your computer in safe mode. To do this start your computer and hit F8 select safe mode with networking. You need to download a malware/spyware program you could try Malwarebytes you can download this for free on this site in downloads section or en.kioskea.net/.../telecharger-105-malwarebytes-anti-malware. When you have downloaded you need to run an update which you will find at the top of the page then run a scan and follow all the instructions given This should clear all the files left by security centre and any other malware/spyware that is in your system. You need to download a good anti-virus I use AVG9 Free edition you must update your anti-virus regularly. This problem often happens when your anti-virus program has expired. Turn off your computer and start normally
Anonymous User
May 15, 2010 at 04:52 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Malicious_Software_Removal_Tool

genuine? Apprently there are reports that there are fake versions
Anonymous User
May 15, 2010 at 05:21 AM
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/threats/malware-encyclopedia-description?name=Virus%3aWin32%2fAlureon.H

the program removed a virus called alureon.h which apprantly messes with DNS. the virus nay be gone now but it has messed with my Internet and now I can't browse the Internet!
mrrigga Posts 196 Registration date Wednesday May 5, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen July 14, 2010 119
May 15, 2010 at 12:58 PM
That good news now let's see if we can get your internet working. Can I assume you are on a wireless network. If so right click wireless connection in your task bar and click repair.
If this does not work go into Devise Manager and open network adapters then right click on your adapter and choose uninstall switch off computer restart and reinstall your adapter. If your internet settings are security enabled you will have to re-enter your password.
If you are connecting through an Ethernet cable you may have to reload the drivers which you can get from the dell support web site.
I suggest you do a windows update as well.
Hope this works for you