Kioskea
Recherche
Ask a question Report

Mouse automatically clicks on things? [Solved/Closed]

anthony - Latest answer on Jan 20, 2013 05:55PM
Hello,
my mouse automatically clicks on things such as pages and stuff just by me leaving my mouse over top of it. when my hands arent on it at all. anyone know how to fix this. ty in advanced for any answers
Read more 
Answer
+234
moins plus
By default in Windows 7, when you hover your mouse pointer over the "All Programs" menu or other defined menus in the Start Menu, after a brief moment Windows automatically opens the submenu. This assumes that whenever you hover your mouse pointer over a menu, you mean to expand it.

If you do not like this behavior it can be disabled.

1. Right-click an empty area of the taskbar and choose "Properties".

2. The "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" multi-tabbed dialog box appears. Click the "Start Menu" tab.

3. Click the "Customize" button.

4. The "Customize Start Menu" dialog box appears. Scroll down and uncheck the "Open submenus when I pause on them with the mouse pointer" box.

Disable automatic submenu expansion in the Start Menu upon mouse hover in Windows 7

5. Click "OK" on the dialog boxes to close them.

Good Geo - Aug 12, 2010 01:34PM
GREAT!!!!!!! You should be posted first!!! After many forums and tries you solved it!! Many thanks!
Dr Phil- Oct 29, 2012 05:52AM
FINALLY found the correct answer; THANKS !!!
happichappi- Dec 8, 2012 03:49PM
I thought my usb wireless keyboard and trackpad was knackered until i found this post. Thank you Thank you Thank YOU! are a GURU of 7
Josger- Jan 8, 2013 02:56PM
Thanks.....
Majid- Jan 14, 2013 02:04PM
It looked so simple. Superb!!!
Answer
+45
moins plus
well i had a similar problem that my mouse would automatically select any icon that i hovered over.. and a single click would open it. this option is available to change under folder options: general:

mieleko 2Posts Tuesday June 8, 2010Registration date June 8, 2010Last seen - Jun 8, 2010 02:15AM
please tell me the instruction because everytime i click on one icon everything will be highlighted.
keke- Jun 17, 2010 12:01PM
go to control panel, click on tools menu bar, select folder options
Chris- Jun 18, 2010 02:19PM
Thank you !!! You saved my life!! This auto click feature drove me crazy for months.
mem- Apr 28, 2011 10:19AM
Thank you! I hated this feature.
Dusty- Oct 22, 2012 01:30AM
Oh FINALLY... Thats been pissing me off for weeks. Thanks heaps
Answer
+28
moins plus
I have a laptop and the touch pad mouse and realized i could click and double click on things just from tapping on the track pad, which was very inconvenient because it seemed i would click on stuff constantly and unintentionally... to change it:
1. go to control panel, and to the mouse settings
2. click on device settings, then settings
3. click on tapping
4. Un-check the "enable tapping"

Hope this helps! I am sure glad i found it and changed it on mine!

btw, i am using windows 7 on an acer laptop

Sher- Aug 11, 2010 08:48AM
thanks very much! it worked.
Answer
+20
moins plus
For Windows 7

Click Start
Click Control Panel
Click Task Bar & Start Menu Properties
Click on the Start Menu Tab
Click the Customize Button
Scroll to and un-check "Open submenus when I pause on them with the mouse pointer" near the bottom on the list
Click OK to get out

Answer
+10
moins plus
I found that as I was typing on my laptop my cursor would jump around or the program of the icon under the mouse arrow would engage without my hitting the left touch-pad button.

After closer examination, I noticed during these cursor jumps while I typed the cursor was sent jumping to the location in my desktop window where the mouse arrow was located.

Apparently this is the result of a corrupted driver or a virus designed to annoy.

I'm running XP

Solution:

Right Click on "My Computer" on your desktop
At the top of the window that appears left click on the "Hardware" tab.
Left click on the "Device Manager" button
Look down the tree of Device items and left click on the plus sign (+) to the left of "Mice and other pointing devices"
At this point you, under the "Mice and other pointing devices" heading, you should see one listed item (driver) if you're using just your touch-pad or one mouse.

Right click on that driver name, in my case it's "Snaptics PS/2...".
From the menu that appears when you right click on the mouse driver, choose "Update driver" by left clcking on it.

Follow the update instructions.

That's it. After you've updated your driver, reboot.

hm.- Aug 18, 2009 09:10PM
thx~ worked like a charm
crsi- Apr 15, 2010 09:19PM
smart! :)
dennison- Apr 29, 2010 01:13AM
Seems to be the most logical solution. Trying this out. Cheers.
2820Jazz- Jun 16, 2010 09:48PM
Well, bought a used laptop (IBM T40) as a Mac user I thought it was a windows setting but could not find the setting! Only used it for stuff from work and remote access to work, living with the problem but all the time but annoyed. Than we started using it more for surfing the web and email and it became too annoying. This "Update driver" was a perfect fix. Can't believe 2 yrs passed.

Thanks
Answer
+6
moins plus
What stopped my annoying automatic mouse selection that ended up repeatedly deleting emails, or making me type in the middle of paragraphs on my new dell laptop was to select: start menu > control panel > printers and other hardware > mouse > hardware > properties > advanced settings > and deselecting "Fast Initialization"

Answer
+5
moins plus
I've had the same problem for several months now. Incredibly irritating. Ready to throw my laptop through the wall. The fix that worked for me - multiple pointing devices installed. Uninstalled the incorrect one, and now I'm good to go. It happened when I first plugged my Kensington optical trackball in. It was initially installed as a Kensington PS/2 Mouse, after which I downloaded and installed the correct driver from Kensington's website. But the initial incorrect installation remained on my computer.

Thanks a ton for the fix!

Answer
+3
moins plus
Finally! I found it. It's in HKEY_CURRENT_USER / Control Panel / Mouse

Set MouseHoverWidth and MouseHoverHeight to 0.

Answer
+1
moins plus
Thanks to jfr34k I had two mice in my System > Device Manager I had already tried deleting the first one (which stopped my mouse from working) quick restart and i was back to the same problem... But i never thought about deleting the second first. After that my mouse and I were fine, I couldn't use my computer it would open stuff and right click all sorts of junk I left it alone to get a drink and by the time i'd come back it'd opened 111tabs on FireFox. Thank you for the help, the problem was caused by OneCare safty scanners Registry Cleaner by-the-way. It started right as that finished and i did it again hoping it would correct the problem... and it made it worse. That being said that's the first problems I've had with Safety Scanner but it is Microsoft

Answer
+1
moins plus
Common problem on older model computers. Try Ctrl Panel, Mouse, then Control Settings. Look at the 'Sticky Panel' feature. Takes a little getting usd to, but also helps to control your mouse.

Answer
+0
moins plus
ok I had this and I just fixed it. tweakui - mouse- xmouse. fixed it for me.

Answer
+0
moins plus
I was beyond frustrated with the automatic clicking issue and called Microsoft. I was instructed to install the proper software for my specific mouse. (The mouse can do funky things if the correct software is not installed.) Simple fix that worked like a charm!

Pikangie- Mar 14, 2010 10:58AM
Ah, I was having this same problem just now, but as I was reading, I realized I had a bag of donuts on my tablet, so that may be what caused mine... If you have other mouses/tablets connected, have you checked to see if anything is maybe physically on their right click function?
Answer
+0
moins plus
I had the problem of my mouse going crazy automatically going back on pages, opening stuff by itself, and opening new windows just by right clicking...it would automatically select. I am using XP. I went to control panel and right clicked mouse and open and then found that somehow my right click for my mouse was set to macro 0005....so I set it back to right click default. Check your mouse settings to see what right click is set to. I dunno how it happened if a virus made it macro 0005 or if someone on my pc did it accidentally or what. Fixed my mouse by setting right click button back to default, it fixed my mouse so I thought I would post this, Hope this helps someone.

eachmorning- Jul 15, 2010 06:24PM
This is a common problem on many computers, especially when on the internet. Try Ctrl Panel, Mouse, then Mouse Settings. Look for something called 'Sticky Panel' feature. Read the description, then try it out. Takes a little geting used to, but helps to control the mouse pointer.
Answer
+0
moins plus
I had the same problem and I believe I just fixed it. I went into the Device Manager, clicked the + sign next to "Mice and other pointing devices" and then double clicked on my Touchpad listing below that. Yours will possibly say something different than mine but double click on whatever comes up after hitting that + sign next to "Mice and other pointing devices". I then clicked on Advanced Settings and unchecked the box which reads "Fast Initialization". My computer needed to restart for the changes to take effect and since then I've had no problems. I sure hope this helps because I've been going out of my mind trying to solve this.

Rolland B. Heiss

Answer
+0
moins plus
Had same issue with HP laptop. Spray lubricant and cleaner spray which can be purchased at radio shack into the buttons. Click a few times to work the spray in and should fix problem.

This document entitled « mouse automatically clicks on things? » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.