Ask a question Report

Laptop shut off, will not turn back on [Solved/Closed]

tresdave - Latest answer on Oct 30, 2012 08:36PM
Hello,
I have a gateway laptop,it was plugged in and charging and on, and it sudddenly just shut off and now will not turn back on. I dont know if this has anything to do with it, but i will mention that i mistakenly tried to put my cellphone charger in the USB port (haha it was dark) right around the time it shut off. Can someone please tell me what is wrong and how to fix it?
Read more 
Answer
+2482
moins plus
*Take out the battery,
*Remove main supply,
*Hold power button down for 30 secs,
*Put only power supply in, do not put battery in
*Turn laptop on
*Put the battery in.

Trilly- Oct 17, 2012 12:27PM
Have tried did not work
anna- Oct 20, 2012 06:07AM
Thank you so so much!
Gawfshot- Oct 20, 2012 02:17PM
It worked for me, only putting the battery in first after the reset
UNTIL
I disabled the Automatic Restart to get the Stop Code from the BSOD.
Now I can't re-boot. No lights, no nothing...
Gman Web- Oct 25, 2012 03:16PM
Working fine now, Thanks tictactoe.
dhaeyeraserheads 1Posts Tuesday October 30, 2012Registration date October 30, 2012Last seen - Oct 30, 2012 08:36PM
AWSOME!!! THANKS!!!
Answer
+431
moins plus
My HP desktop has the similar problem as the laptops. I left the computer on for a few hours, it was working fine, when I returned it had powered down and would not power on at all. Power source is good to the computer, it acts as though it has no power at all.
Any help is most appreciated.
Thank you.

Answer
+147
moins plus
i have a gateway laptop and it will not turn on and there is no light flashing on the computer i tried taking out the battery and the charge and then held the power button for 30 seconds it still wouldnt turn on.

yv- Jun 16, 2009 07:01PM
did you ever get your laptop to turn on? Mine has done the same thing and the holding for 30 sec didn't work for me either
Peggy- Nov 9, 2009 09:11PM
did you ever get your laptop to work?
BryanSanchez- Dec 24, 2009 06:27AM
Jackyn,

I had same problem too. And it didnot work for me either. i got gateway laptop too. Pls send me if you have a solution i'm totally dead in my dad. thank you in advance merry christmas..
eric- Apr 23, 2010 07:03AM
try holding it up side down while doing this i got mine working and i also got my other one working which hading worked in about a year or so
Answer
+141
moins plus
Hey there, I saw that this solution helped a lot of people, so I was wondering if you could help me. I have a toshiba satellite pro A200, it's currently refusing to turn on. I tried the method you suggested for the gateway, and it didn't work for me. I was wondering if you know anything else for me to try; and if not can you tell me what I need to know when looking to buy a new battery. Thanks in advance.

Answer
+121
moins plus
hey .... i hav a hp laptop thats about a 18 mth old ( vista )
it worked fine, i shut it down as normal .... when i tried to turn it bak on in the mornin it wouldnt cum on ....... the lights around the the lappy cum on ( not screen ) and go straight back of like it does when the battery is dead .... ive tried a new battery & new charger incase it was one of them that had broke, but its still doin the same thing !!!
i arnt rite botherd about the lappy just need sum of the stuff off it ... once ive got wot i need it can go in the bin 4 all i care as its really annoyed me .... so if any1 can help it wud b really appreciated :)) thx x

Answer
+99
moins plus
HP dv5220us, tried the power off, hold button, insert power cord then battery trick

didn't work

The power on button does not light. The quickplay blue buttons do. I've tried everything, opened it up and reseated the hard drive, dvd rom, and the memory sticks. No change.

Should I get a new battery and try the process?

I'm desperate.

Answer
+93
moins plus
My Gateway suddenly decided it didn't want to work. When I try to start it up it does nothing. I removed the battery and plugged in the A/C power and it automatically began to start up, after like 3-5 seconds it shut back down and will not start back. The same occurs if I remove the A/C power cord and put the battery in it auto starts and shuts down after a few seconds. I tried tictactoe's method but to no avail. Any help would be really appreciated.

Answer
+69
moins plus
I have a Dell Latitude D630 and despite several attempts with this solution, it's still not doing anything.. no lights, nothing. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Answer
+63
moins plus
This may seem odd, but i had a problem wherein the laptop intermittantly shut down for no reason. Finally one day it shut down and wouldn't power back up at all.
Turns out it was the little soft rubber nipple near the hinge. This actually goes to a switch that shuts down the machine when you close the cover (screen). It got pushed down below the plastic in the little hole where it resides. It held the switch down all the time. I got some very small tweezers and phished it out of there. Made sure it was not ripped and it is working fine. I will be keeping an eye on it,though.

Answer
+59
moins plus
hey there,

i dont think that your cellphone charger caused damage to your pc but i need more information in order to help you out with this question. i will just try to take a guess and can you tell me if it is starting up at least i mean can you see the lignts on?

if no then may be error coming form the battery but i would recommend you not to try to repair it by yourself if you arent sure of how to do that and also laptops reparations are much expensive but let an IT pro have a look at it

one thousand night- Sep 10, 2009 04:41PM
hi!!!!!!
Please help me. i don't know what my baby daughter press on the laptop key board, but it completely turn off the power and can not turn it back on. what should i do?
Answer
+55
moins plus
what was suggested here worked for me- but what does it mean if it does that? will it do this again in the future? is there something we could do to prevent it from happening again?

Answer
+55
moins plus
THANKS TICTACTOE! i have a hp laptop and i can't believe it worked.

Answer
+51
moins plus
Hey my mom has a Compaq Perario 762NR and it shut down last night will not turn on when you press the power button a light will come on like it is going to turn on but it goes back to a blank black screen i have already tried every thing people have listed above but it hasn't worked at all someone PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!

Answer
+43
moins plus
Hi,
I m also facing turning off problem with my Sony Vaio VGN CR3 laptop(OS: Vista Home premium). It suddenly turns off for no reason. and when i press on button it starts normally. It happens every day 3-4 times. Also it's not facing heating problem. I formated the whole PC but problem is not solved yet. Please give me some solution. Thanks

JDmaX- Apr 14, 2010 01:12PM
my dell insp 6000 did likelwise a few times and now it wont power-on at all! So we need to discover exactly WHAT causes this condition in the first place. Prevention is better than cure! I have 2x identicle Dell's so I can swap everything. I cant fathom what it is, guess the MB must be damaged cuz that's the only part I cant swap! although I cant see anything wrong with it. If anybody KNOWS what causes this.. .Please share the info
ps it's not the lid switch either! 10 yrs ago I would simply replace the largest capacitor! Sadly modern electronics are microscopic and very sensitive with built in life-span of 2-3 yrs (if your lucky)
Answer
+33
moins plus
i had some guy give me his laptop he said the power cord had a cut in it and his son steped on it and ripped the power cord in to then the computer shut off and will not turn on does anyone no whats wrong with it i tried with the batt. and nothing and i tried with a new power cord and stil nothing someone please help me

Answer
+32
moins plus
same with my hp.. turned off wont turn back on.. but i think the screen is just black cause the other lights keep turning on.. how the heck do i get the screen to turn on? obviously not the same way you would get a gateway too

Answer
+29
moins plus
I have a Gateway laptop. It suddenly shut off and won't turn back on. I tried the above and it didn't work for me either. What would your next step be?

Bob- Mar 16, 2009 08:07PM
I have the same problem with a Gateway laptop; an m-Series; an M-6750. When I pull the battery; hold the power-on button down for 30+ seconds, then plug in the power supply and release the power-on buton, the power-on button light comes on; as do lights at the base of the laptop and the internal fa starts up. Those light and fan only stay on for maybe 2 seconds and then they shut off. If you here of a solution, please send me an e-mail.
ThaDoctah- Dec 29, 2009 02:10AM
Hey Bob! I have a gateway MT-6821 with the EXACT same problem you described. I took your advice specifically as stated, and it worked. For those of you are still having trouble, with tictactoe's advice, here is what I did after multiple failed attempts until I found Bob's advice.

1. Remove power supply and battery.
2. Hold power button down for 30 seconds.
3. WHILE STILL HOLDING DOWN POWER BUTTON, INSERT POWER SUPPLY (that's what she said), THEN INSERT BATTERY. *THE POWER BUTTON SHOULD BE HELD, THROUGHOUT THIS ENTIRE STEP.
4. At this point, the blue light and the charging light both came on, and the computer started properly.
Everything Ran normally after that!

Thank you to everyone who posted on this blog. It seems that Gateways have trouble following tictactoes's original advice but this, slightly modified technique, worked perfectly for me!

Sincerely,
MD
lducampeon Bob - Jan 17, 2010 09:31AM
Hi,
I have the same problem that you are saying. the computer doesn't turn on. Please give me some steps so I can fix the problem.
lducampeon Bob - Jan 17, 2010 09:32AM
me again, wrong email last time.
thanks
rj- Mar 28, 2010 05:32PM
Wow the doctahs advise worked for me! Thank u!
Answer
+28
moins plus
Thank you so much TicTacToe, my computer suddenly turned off, and removing the power supplies, holding the power button for 30 seconds, then plugging it back in worked like a charm!!

thanks, you made my day!!!! thank you so much!

Answer
+28
moins plus
You are a genius...thank you!

Answer
+25
moins plus
tictactoe, that actually didnt help me at all... and it most definately didnt work...

keeeeruh- Sep 7, 2009 09:32AM
it didnt work for me either...i dont know whatt to do anymore ive tried everything and im broke i cant afford like 300 bucks to fix it
angelo- Apr 21, 2010 07:22PM
i can fix that.....for only 100 bucks
ACER V3- 771G- Oct 9, 2012 02:30PM
Hello, please help me out ! I have acer aspire v3-771g (already feel sorry for it) , I always put it on sleep when i dont use it, so i came back home, turned it on and after 10 mins it went to sleep mode by itself, i started it again and the process repeated several times..Then I shut it down totally, and now it doesnt turn on.. Fan is alright, no electricity or power problem.. I tried the way above - didnt work.. Please help !! P.s. No viruses, or spyware - I have good firewalls and programs, ( didnt download anything ).. :(
1 2 3 4 5 Next
This document entitled « Laptop shut off, will not turn back on » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.