Router will not connect wrt160n

Closed
helpme - Apr 11, 2010 at 11:09 AM
BradMcKinley Posts 7 Registration date Tuesday April 20, 2010 Status Member Last seen April 27, 2010 - Apr 20, 2010 at 06:49 PM
I've tried resetting to factory settings
I've unplugged everything and started anew

I'm able to ping the router when it is hooked to the pc and I get the IP address 192.168.0.1

I'm able to connect to the internet when the modem is hooked into the pc.

When I hook the modem into the router I get a "remote computer is unavailable"

I also cannot connect to 192.168.0.1 when the router is hooked up to the pc to manually change any settings.

It was working fine until someone was convinced that the router was the reason he couldn't access mcafee (it was a virus) and he messed around with the network connections and now nothing works and I'm going insane.
Related:

1 response

BradMcKinley Posts 7 Registration date Tuesday April 20, 2010 Status Member Last seen April 27, 2010 1
Apr 20, 2010 at 06:49 PM
I believe you may not have reset that router completely. The default IP address for Linksys Routers is 192.168.1.1

When you hold down the reset button with a pen for 30 seconds the router should have that as its default IP address which you can type into your browser to access.

If you still have trouble, make sure you do not have an static IP on your computer. It needs to be setup to aquire an IP address automatically instead of static IP.

Press the start menu and type network to get to the network settings page - or find it under control panel. Then view the status of your network connection - or double click it. You'll need to see the properties of the tcp/ip connection inside that menu. If it is set to automatically obtain IP address and DNS - then you are fine and should cancel out of all menus.