Ask a question Report

Unable to boot XP [Solved/Closed]

johnwills 5Posts Wednesday October 8, 2008Registration date October 15, 2008Last seen - Latest answer on Jan 1, 2013 05:39PM
Hello,
My machine has suddenly decided to stop booting, tried booting from safe mode (all options), but it hangs after Mup.sys. Tried booting from CD to get to the recovery console but this hangs after "Setup is starting windows" message.
Machine spec;
Asus P5Q Delux Mainboard
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66
2GB Ram
Sapphire HD3870 512 Graphics card
320Gb harddisk
Aplus Case
Any ideas??
Read more 
Answer
+33
moins plus
im afraid that your windows is corrupted and hence i would recommend you to do a complete clean install of windows or else what you can do is to just try to setup the windows without formatting the drive

Answer
+26
moins plus
Managed to fix this, I removed the hard disk and connected it onto another machine, copied Mup.sys from the machine over the original on the hard disk from the failed computer. Connected back up and and to my surprise it booted OK.

Juanito- Jan 7, 2009 09:41AM
I tried your solution but it did not work for me...
NEU- Oct 19, 2009 05:18PM
The computer you copy the file from MUST HAVE the same configuration of your computer.....
naren- Dec 3, 2009 12:01PM
Hi,

I also have same problem and description as follows

system : laptop make: gateway NV 52,
processor: AMD Athlon-x2 processor.
ram :4 Gig
It originally had windows vista, i downgraded to xp professional and was working fine for couple of months.

This problem has happen,
when i hooked ps2 to USB converter cable along with key board to laptop while booting.
i got error message screen with

*** STOP 0X0000007B (0X0 , 0X00, 0X000,0X000) EROOR MSG

when i try to reboot for safe mode, it was loaded up to MUP.SYS and reboots again

so far things i have tried are
=====================
1. tried to install xp professional with CD,
a. i dont get
- install
- repair
options at all, instead it start loading drivers and all & at the end gives the following message
====================================================================

A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND WINDOWS HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN TO PREVENT DAMAGE
TO YOUR COMPUTER

IF THIS THE FIRST TIME YOU' VE SEEN THIS STOP ERROR SCREE,
RESTART YOUR COMPUTER. IF THIS SCREEN APPEARS AGAIN, FOLLOW
THESE STEPS:

CHECK FOR VIRUSES ON OUR COMPUTER. REMOVE ANY NEWLY INSTALLED
HARD DRIVES OR HARD DRIVE CONTROLLERS. CHECK HARD DRIVE
TO MAKE SURE IT IS PROPERLY CONFIGURED AND TERMINATED.
RUN CHKDISK /F TO CHECK FOR HARD DRIVE CORRUPTION, AND THEN RESTART YOUR COMPUTER.

TECHNICAL INFORMATION
*** STOP: 0X0000007B (0XF78D2524, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

===================================================================
2. But i was able to install linux ubuntu 9.10 version as dual bootable. from linux , i was able to mount windows partition, and replaced the currupted file like, MUP.sys and isapnp.sys files from linux and rebooted. Not able to solve problem again.
Devgutt- Mar 2, 2010 07:44PM
Donīt use active AHCI. Use IDE Mode instead (BIOS Setup).
abdul- Jan 9, 2010 11:42PM
hey buddy u r awesome
Answer
+14
moins plus
Hi there,

I may help you with this, because I have solved similar problem.
I downloaded "Hiren's Boot CD". I burnt the ISO to a CD, booted from it and lunched the Mini XP.
In Mini Windows I went to the C:\Windows\System32\drivers directory and renamed all files that had a size of 0 kB.
I think you may delete them as well. Anyway, after this action I just removed the boot CD from my drive and rebooted as usual. And everything is OK for now...

I hope it helps, I wish you good luck!
Furthermore, I found this solution here...
http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/golden-orbit-blog/windows-xp-hangs-at-isapnpsys-37891

I just still don't know why that error happened.

Best wishes,
Alesh

Jovan- Apr 20, 2010 08:39AM
This worked for me Thanks...
Answer
+11
moins plus
If you are unable to boot up to windows maybe youre windows is corupted. You can try this following method.
1. Insert youre windows instalation disk.
2. Type R in XP instalation disk or select recovery mode in vista instalation disc
3. Select command prompt
4. Type this command -->
cd %windir%
sfc /scannow
5. Now wait untill windows finish inspecting youre instalation. If found any corrupted instalation files windows will perform auto replace of the corrupted files

bryguy22- Nov 6, 2009 05:41PM
We have a dell inspiron 1525 with XP ....when following your directions we do not get a command prompt to be able to type in the command that you state. Any help with this?

On booting our system stop at the same "mups" directory stated in other posts here.

Thank you!
reya- Dec 17, 2009 10:12AM
Mups.sys is not the culprit, it's simply the last driver used. Usually the culprit is any recently added devices. There is no BIOS error and the hard drive is not fried, good news for most. One thing you can do to save files is boot with a linux live CD (ubtunu) and copy them off over a network/usbdrive/burn disks. Then check out this site (go to System Boots -- Then Hangs) for a step by step process in trying to fix the problem yourself.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.01.desktopfiles.aspx?pr=blog

A total system wipe should be the last option.
Boom- Dec 29, 2009 04:02PM
Try the disable reboot on error in the F8 start up menu. I got around this problem and was able to trace it to issues with devices not playing nice with AVG 9. I at first continued to get errors even in safe mode. You might try unplugging all devices and resetting the BIOS to default settings.
abdul- Jan 9, 2010 11:38PM
all these answers really help me out
Brunod- Apr 20, 2010 12:03AM
Mups.sys hangs because of power supply problem of system drive (C:)

Sometimes the power supply is about to give up or can't supply enough power to the main drive: I had this problem once.
To resolve the issue try to unplug external devices or if possible leave only the main drive plugged into the power supply (where xp is installed) . Ex. Unplug dvd drives, floppy drive or any other hard drives.

If Windows starts, you need a new Power Supply!!
Answer
+4
moins plus
I have another problem,

after trying to boot with Dos floppy he can't see the external Hard drive.
And the ghost is on the Hard drive.

Answer
+4
moins plus
- if windows hangs on boot process and doesnt show the starting windows screen , try safemode. It will show all the files that are succesfully loaded and hang at the last one.
if Mup.sys is the last one, then you might have hardware issues.
First run the recovery console using the WinXp istallation disk press R, logon to your partion and run scandisk or chekdisk maybe using the repair parameter.
if it founds errors you should run fixboot to make shure the boot sector is ok.
if any of the files are mising or corrupted you have to recopy them from the istallation disk or an existing windows os that is knonw to work.
i also recomend reseting the BIOS and make sure the acpi and anyting else related to power management is enabled. you can also try takin out 1 memory module and the video card if present or just swap the memory from their dimms. this will force the bios to update the configuration.

cm515935 4Posts Tuesday May 11, 2010Registration date May 13, 2010Last seen - May 11, 2010 11:36AM
I have this same mup.sys issue.

When i boot from the XP disc, and option R, it hangs while checking the HD. I don't think the HD is bad because I ran the boot diagnostics and it recognized the HD. I think it might be the power supply. Any ideas?
cm515935 4Posts Tuesday May 11, 2010Registration date May 13, 2010Last seen - May 13, 2010 11:09AM
My situation did end up being caused by a faulty hard drive. Replace the drive, reload XP, back up and running.
russ- Jan 1, 2013 05:39PM
I had ther same mup.sys i unplugged slave hd and 2 cd drives and it fired up. guess its a new power supply needed.
Answer
+4
moins plus
I had a similar issue with my ThinkPad T61.
I changed the SATA controller mode option to "Compatibility" and it started working.

Answer
+3
moins plus
You can try this following method.
1. Insert youre windows instalation disk.
2. Type R in XP instalation disk or select recovery mode in vista instalation disc
3. Select command prompt
4. Type this command -->
cd %windir%
sfc /scannow
5. Now wait untill windows finish inspecting youre instalation. If found any corrupted instalation files windows will perform auto replace of the corrupted files

Answer
+0
moins plus
I have had a similiar problem. I was trying to get a game Company of Heroes running after i tried to update the game. In anycase I looked up the solution on the net and it sadi you should update your drivers. Well I went to Microsft website and it ran a program on it to see what I needed. It then loaded updates and said to restart the computer. I did this and it gve me the BSOD. I tried booting into Safe Mode but the same thing happened: I got a series of gibbersih stopping at MUPS. Then the computer busy lite went crazy. I have tried to re boot same thing happens BSOD or if trining to get to Safe Mode, I gt MUPS and xmas lites. I have a Dell Inspiron 1.66 GZ Win xp sp2. And to top it off I can't find the installation disk! Any advice?

Answer
+0
moins plus
Hi Friends!!:

I had the following problem:
I have installed XP sp3 on a PC then I have tried to install linux, I don't know why but LILO and Grub does not worked for me, then I decided to leave XP alone.

When I tried to make a fixmbr from XP CD it hangs at "Setup is inspecting your hardware configuration".

I have tried the next:
-Reset BIOS
-Swap master and slaves
-Super grub
-fdisk /mbr (from old DOS)

nothing worked for me except one thing:

I had to delete the extended partition using fdisk from a DOS floppy,( but only the extended partition ), And make primary partition as "active", then when I restart the PC using XP CD it runs well, then I used recovery function to do a "fixmbr", now XP is running again.

I expect this post to be useful.

Thanks!!!

Answer
+0
moins plus
you have some hardware problem check you ram

This document entitled « Unable to boot XP » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.