Ask a question Report

Second Hard Drive not recognized [Solved/Closed]

Sabrina - Latest answer on Oct 12, 2012 11:43PM
Hello,
I had a hard drive failure and bought a new Segate SATA Internal Hard Drive. As you can see it works fine. But I cannot get my second Western Digitial EIDE Hard Drive recognized. It has no oeprating system just ALL my personal files and stuff. I have tried every configuration I can think of with no luck. Any help greatelt appreciated!!
Thanks!
Read more 
Answer
+133
moins plus
go to start > control panel (switch to Classic View) > administrative tools

> computer management > storage : disk management

your second disk will show, but not active(initialized)

need to make active by right clicking on window that represents then drive
then make active partition(drive)
select to create partition (if applicable)
select format (if applicable)

wait and drive will change status to "healthy" at top windows and your drive/data will now be accessible and visible in 'My Computer'

Sorted!

NyteFyre22- Jan 3, 2009 05:20PM
diggleydog
Thank you so much, I was about ready to pull my hair out because I could not figure out how to make windows recognize my new hard drive. Followed your directions and it worked perfectly!
shihadchick- Jan 3, 2009 09:55PM
Just wanted to say thanks a bunch - I'd been going nuts with the same problem and having that laid out clearly helped me figure it out. Cheers!
Ronnie- Dec 13, 2009 09:08AM
Thanks buddy
It's works.........
I like your suggestion..........
crobar- Feb 10, 2010 04:35AM
If you select format this will delete all the data he wants to keep. If you do not do format, this won't solve the problem, so this is not a solution. Does anyone have the solution? I have the same problem.
Moosemunch- Apr 20, 2011 12:29PM
Thanks for the quick fix and easy instructions. Works great :-)
Answer
+9
moins plus
I had the same problem and the following worked for my Hp Pavilion with WinXP

------
go to start > control panel (switch to Classic View) > administrative tools

> computer management > storage : disk management

your second disk will show, but not active(initialized)

need to make active by right clicking on window that represents then drive
then make active partition(drive)
select to create partition (if applicable)
select format (if applicable)

wait and drive will change status to "healthy" at top windows and your drive/data will now be accessible and visible in 'My Computer'
-------
Thanks everyone
Pete

cruzer- Jan 18, 2009 06:43AM
really apreciate it ppl u guys helped a lot and thankx to u guys my hdd is ready
for stuff to fill it :D
HelpSeeker- Jan 9, 2010 03:43PM
Worked great thank you for your help. I had been playing with the all day but your tip fixed the problem.
Lotus- Jun 27, 2010 06:10PM
Glad I kept reading until I saw your fix.
Patrick- Jul 4, 2010 09:36PM
Thanks so much. FIxed in a flash
anal- May 3, 2011 07:43AM
its very useful for me , pls keep this type suggetion.
Answer
+2
moins plus
Okay then what do I do with the CD Rom???

Answer
+2
moins plus
Ahhhh,

I see your quandry. Leave your dvdrom drive out for the time being. Boot your system up, you should be able to then go to my computer, and see your old hard drive. Open it up, copy your old files that you need (songs, pictures, documents...) to your new drive. After your sure that you have all your files, shut down, remove the old drive and hook your dvdrom drive back up, boot as normal and you're good.

Make sense?

Maniac1914- Dec 3, 2008 11:49PM
You need to go into Windows disk management to put the HD online, and select the kind of partition you want it to be on. I have a blank IDE Drive that I installed and it wasn't recognized until I went into disk managememnt, put it online, and formatted. Once you get to disk management it is pretty self explanatory. It will show you all of your drives & sizes. right click on your installed drive and put it online first. This should at least get you started.
cheefdapot- Jan 9, 2009 11:48AM
dude!!!! thanks i really didnt want to have to mess around with dos and fdisk
NickNYC 15Posts Saturday February 14, 2009Registration date February 17, 2009Last seen Maniac1914 - Feb 15, 2009 04:49AM
LEARN TO READ BEFORE YOU POST.

YOU JUST INSTRUCTED THE GUY TO REFORMAT OVER HIS OLD STUFF ON HIS DRIVE.

YOU CALL THAT A TIP? HE GOT A NEW DRIVE AND CANT ACCES THE OLD ONE THAT HAS HIS STUFF ON IT....
crobar- Feb 9, 2010 06:50PM
You're absolutely right, I have the same problem as the original guy, I have an old hard drive. I want to install it as a slave drive in my comp. I want to KEEP the data already on the drive. Therefore I DO NOT WANT TO FORMAT the drive unless this means something other than deleting all the files currently on the disk.

How do I get windows to access the drive???? Can anyone help please??
Answer
+2
moins plus
I think I've solve this problem in the morning =D
try these step hopefully it'll work :

1). Go to Computer Management at Control Panel -> Administrative Tools

2). Click on Disk Management and you will get a shown of partition hardisk on your computer

3). Right Click on Hardisk that doesn't show a partition and choose "Import Foreign Disks"

4). Check the Checklist and Click Ok , , , =D

- Y01-@8I5! -

zzzzzzz- Oct 12, 2012 11:43PM
Thanks for the tip, this worked great! I had the same situation, old drive with important files, righ clicked the import foreign disks, and bam! Family photos are back!
Answer
+1
moins plus
Do you have an IDE CDrom or DVDrom drive?

If you do, use that IDE and power cable and jumper setting.

Take the cdrom drive out.

Look at the back of it, where the ribbon cable and power cable are, there should be a white or black jumper on a couple of pins.

Look at that setting, and set your old hard drive to match it.

Plug your old hard drive into that IDE and power cable, making sure you set the jumper correctly.

Power on and check to see if you can see it now....if not, listen to the drive, is it spinning up, can you hear any odd noises, grinding, ticks...let me know.

TJ

Answer
+1
moins plus
Don't have the dvdrom connected at all, just have the hard drive connected on that cable.

That way, Primary boot will be your sata drive
your old hard drive will take your dvdrom's drive letter (D)

This document entitled « Second Hard Drive not recognized » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.