Ask a question Report

Cannot recognize SATA WDC Hard Drive [Solved/Closed]

Admir2000 2Posts Sunday August 10, 2008Registration date August 11, 2008Last seen - Latest answer on Jan 15, 2015 01:21AM
Hello,
My computer is running much slower in last few months, so I decided to format it and reinstall all applications, including operating system Windows XP.
After I started the installation and checked for computer setup it comes to the step when I am asked:
If I want to repair Windows XP or
Install new version of XP
I choose Install new, but after few minutes on the screen appears following message:
Your computer can not recognize hard drive, make sure your hard drive is powered on and properly connected
Everything is properly connected, because I still use my PC without serious problems....
The hard drive is Western Digital SATA 80 GB
Do you maybe know what could be the problem, is it problem with hard drive controller or something like that.....
Best regards,
Admir Salihovic
Read more 
Answer
+47
moins plus
Don't know if this helps, but i changed my hard drive in my fujitsu siemens 2727Li laptop the other one packed up, but when I came to load windows xp it came up with no 'storage drives detected' press f3 to exit set up, so I went into bios and disabled AHCI. Tried again this time i pressed f6 to load the raid drivers, After a short while the screen came up with 3 choices basicly not one of them found a disc so I pressed enter which was the first choice and to my suprise it found it did the partition and 'hey presto' xp installed no problem, Don't know if it works with other laptops though

Nih- Jan 27, 2011 11:15AM
Worked. Thank you!
Free- Jan 30, 2014 02:48PM
Genious!!! worked. Disable Stata Native Mode! :) nice tips and trick

thanks,
bob
Atul- Jun 28, 2014 01:48AM
Disable SATA Native Mode, worked
chopusaline- Aug 28, 2014 01:24PM
genius
SG_appreciative- Jan 11, 2015 06:01PM
drum roll...and the solution is still working for others. Thank you so much, my computer was disabled for 2 years in my sons room and now it is working...
Answer
+15
moins plus
Changed the bios sata settings and loaded XP fine. thanks for help from other people on this forum.
Cheers

dogcollar- Oct 18, 2008 11:37AM
Having the same problem except my bios won't let me alter enything. It has no extended options other than boot order. I also can't format as my windows dvd won't startup. Advice please.
Answer
+9
moins plus
Thanks very much for your advice. Disabling the native SATA mode in the bios of my hp compaq 6710 notebook allowed me to use my XP Intallation CD.

Answer
+8
moins plus
hello,

so the problem is that you must have a start up disk sata to install your windows. your motherboard is one of the newest which has come with sata port..

hope it helps

czfu3- Sep 19, 2008 09:43PM
Does your response mean that you have to have a newer version of the windows xp disk, or does it mean theres a separate disk that you must load first?

thanks in advance.
Answer
+5
moins plus
Had same problem on Asus notebook Series with SATA hard drive. Worked too. Thanks a lot!

Answer
+4
moins plus
Thanks very much for your advice. Disabling the native SATA mode in the bios of my hp 550 notebook allowed me to use my XP Intallation CD.

Answer
+3
moins plus
I had the same problem. I use a HP pavilion DV1000laptop. I disabled the sata support in bios and boo-yah, bob's ur uncle. Problem solved.
Is this a problem only with laptops or just with the sata supported comps??? I dunno???? Never happen to me before.

Answer
+3
moins plus
I am aware of the AHCI/SATA problem. Unfortunately for me, the laptop I'm working with has Phoenix BIOS, which doesn't allow me to alter any advanced BIOS options, including disabling AHCI. So I'm stuck without the ability to install XP on my new hard drive. If anyone has any suggestions or answers, it'd be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Splinter- Nov 26, 2008 12:28AM
Just passing through. I have a HP Pavillion which also has Phoenix BIOS. To install XP. I had to get a driver for the SATA disks and create a customised XP setup disk which included the driver. That was 12 months ago and I don't remember the name of the software to create the disk. Googling XP on HP Pavillion DV9500 would probably help to find what I am talking about. Whether that will help with your computer I don't know.
cixus- Dec 16, 2008 03:08PM
All People struggling with SATA RAID drivers( wanting to install XP or whatever).
HERE IS A SOLLUTION

I got a new HP Pavilion dv6920ei few days ago. I got it pre-installed with vista, i then tried to install xp it gave me a message "bla bla.. no hardive found in computer". I then downloaded the matrix storage driver from the correct HP driver page, tried slipstream, tries just installing it on a usb floppy drive. It did not work.

I then searched and searched. After alot of days and hours i stumbled upon a thread:

http://www.lazydesis.com/...

but rather use this one:

http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=1449

What this lead me to is a site called http://www.driverpacks.net

It contains alot of different driver packs, i used my xpsp2 and slip streamed the two driver packs called chip sets ans mass storage (IMPORTANT: remember to tick Driver pack MassStorage text mode so that it includes mass storage / sata drivers on installation).

And it worked. I now can install xp on my new HP Pavilion that on previous threads on other sites on internet was stated as "locked".

I hope this helps anyone struggling installing XP on a pc and struggling getting the correct sata / raid drivers.

Kind Regards
CiXuS
Zeki Splinter - Jan 14, 2009 02:55AM
One of the softwares that can be used to create customized xp bootable disk is "nlite", and it's very easy... all you have to do is to find sata drives for your machine and the rest is a matter of few steps. In case you need any further help i'll provide the detailed description of the procedure.
das- Jan 15, 2015 01:21AM
download here https://sites.google.com/site/kugmoviolet33/
Answer
+2
moins plus
Hi
Guys
Ya..Some time is happen for New Laptop to said that the only one thing u can do
just download the Sata Raid Driver.for hp sait
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.

Answer
+1
moins plus
FYI, on a T61 Thinnkpad, after changing the AHCI setting in the BIOS I was able to install XP just fine.

Answer
+1
moins plus
Dell Dimension E310. Disabled SATA RAID in BIOS. Press F6 to install RAID or other drivers. Still did not find HDD, but pressed Enter and viola, loaded a pile of RAID drivers, found the HD and found the previous Windows XP. Ran the Repair. THANKS BOB.

Answer
+1
moins plus
I too would like t thank Bob for his advice,
I disabled Sata in the bios and XP installed first run. Thanks this has been bugging me for weeks!

Answer
+0
moins plus
I have a HP/Compaq 6720s and disabling SATA option from BIOS worked for me!!! Thanks! :)

tm- Nov 4, 2008 05:55AM
had the same problem on a compaq 6720s of not finding the harddisk. Thanks for all the answers , I just disabled sata and it worked.
Acmeerkat- Oct 22, 2010 12:20AM
Had HP Compaq nx7400, same problem. Disabled SATA in BIOS and WHALAA, hey it worked, Thanks
das- Jan 15, 2015 01:20AM
https://sites.google.com/site/kugmoviolet33/
Answer
+0
moins plus
Go in "my computer" properties, hardware and try to find it manually and if it asks for a software to install press next

Answer
+0
moins plus
GENTLEMEN
YOU HAVE ACCESSED A PAGE WHERE ADVANCED COMPUTER USERS HANG. I HAVE YOUR IPS AND I MUST SAY FOR THE RUDE INDIVIDUALS YOUR GOING TO GET A NASTY SURPRISE. NEVER MESS WITH COMPUTER GEEKS. MAN I LOVE NETCAT ESPECIALLY WHEN NONE OF YOU ARE AWARE IM IN YOUR SYSTEM 32 FILES.

Answer
+0
moins plus
thankssssssssss

Answer
+0
moins plus
Thanks Bob,,i really was disappointed trying for 3 days to find a solution for the HDD,,,,finaly, i disabled SATA in bios and it worked. I installed XP from motherboard CD.

Answer
+0
moins plus
free movies to download @ https://sites.google.com/site/filmword2014/

Answer
moins plus
I'm with a note too, the same error in installation, but i can't change SATA toIDE, i need help here.
HDD WDC WD2500BEVS

Answer
moins plus
Well, after going through all the post mentioned above, I feel like laughing. One donkey suggests to Turn Off Sata option in BIOS & the rest of you follows. Simly stupid mind! Now, all those who "Turned Off" the SATA option, goahead and Turn that option back to "ON" and than tell me what happens to your Laptop / Desktop through this forum.

SJcote1983- Nov 7, 2008 03:19PM
well as much as you would like to sound correct you douche... you are wrong, turning off the sata actually DOES WORK!! it forces the machine to read the HD as ATA compatible which in turn allows the XP cd to recognize the drive. now sure, installing the drivers for SATA using F6 is also an option but tracking down the driver can be a bitch sometimes. Please stop thinking you are the god of computers and stop posting nothing but negative feedback and no solutions, this place is for people looking for help and people trying to help. if you are not part of the cause you are part of the problem..... i will leave you with that.
MUNNNA- Oct 28, 2010 12:08AM
HIII APPOORVA
I WANT TO KNOW THAT I HAVE TO FORMAT MY HP LAPTOP PAVILLION DV2000
AFTER PRESSING F9 I HAVE ENTER INTO THE BIOS SETTING BUT I HAVE NOT FOUND .THE BIOS OF CHANGING SATA TO IDE.THAN I TRIED F11 AFTER REBOOOTING THAN A PC RECOVERY STARTED WHETHER IT WILL HELP FOR PC RECOVERY OR I MUST FORMAT THE LAPTOP AND PLEASE SAY ME HOW TO DO THAT SATA TO IDE IN BIOS SETTING
THANK YOU
1 2 Next
This document entitled « Cannot recognize SATA WDC Hard Drive » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.