Ask a question Report

DVD/RW will not read anything [Solved/Closed]

nikkij77 - Latest answer on Feb 23, 2013 01:07AM
Hello,
my DVD/RW will not read cds, dvds or data discs. I used it regularly for burning both cds and dvds, up until 2days ago when it suddenly decided to stop working for reasons unknown. I have been to device manager which says there is no problems, I have reinstalled to let the pc find it. I am now at a loss please can someone help me.
It is a Samsung Writemaster Dvd/rw TSST Corp SH-W162C
and i am running Winxp
Read more 
Answer
+238
moins plus
I had the same problem with my both my DVD drives in my desktop and the DVD drive in my laptop. They would play CDs but would not recognize a DVD. I tried the solutions listed but none helped. I finally found a link to a Mirosoft link which solved my problem. I ran the 'Fix It' program and it solved my problem. Here is a link to the site: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060.

deep- Oct 11, 2012 05:39AM
thank you :)
sudhe- Oct 12, 2012 12:10AM
thanku...:)
Ian- Oct 24, 2012 09:43AM
its not working.....
jason999- Nov 3, 2012 10:41AM
I had the same problem but I could read a self burned DVD only once after reboot then I would have to reboot again to read the same dvd if I had ejected it. I tried all the solutions online and none worked. I though back to when the problem started and realize that I had install a new software not long before the problem started, avg pc tune up. I uninstalled it and the problem was solved. Just to test I reinstalled pc tune up and to my surprise, the problem hasn't reappeared. So I'm thinking that it's not the software itself but the install wizard. Maybe it's a glitch that happen some times when installing any software. Anyway, I'm not a tech but that worked for me.
mbm- Feb 23, 2013 01:07AM
try updating your audio drivers if your cd is workind and dvd is not.
Answer
+225
moins plus
If your DVD shows up in device manager, and reports no problems, but sill doesn't read disks, the problem has a simple 1 minute fix.

The problem is simple. Your transport it jammed, likely due to vibration or some shock to the system that you may not even be aware of. The transport for the laser head moves too far toward the centre of the spindle and gets wedged in just far enough that the transport mechanism can't move it back. Here's what you do...

Open the DVD rom bay on your laptop.

Very carefully remove any dust or debris from the area around the laser head with a cue tip or gentle microfibre cloth, like the type used for cleaning monitors or lenses. BE GENTLE! You scratch that lense you are buying a whole new DVD drive.

Once the area is clean, use a small, blunt object like a paperclip or plastic pen tip to gently, but firmly move the transport away from the centre spindle toward the outside. Clean up and more dirt or debris using the method above. If you have anything sticky or gooey, like ciagrette smoke or the like, you can use a mixture of 50% rubbing alcohol and distilled water on the q-tip to help remove junk.

once clean and the transport is moved to the outer limit, place in a dvd and close the tray. next time you boot your computer, the DVD reader will seek the correct centre ring on the DVD, and will then read it properly. The DVD will auto align, and your troubles should be over. If it happens again, you will know what to do.

The culprit is a weak transport that can get stuck on smoke, dust, hair, or even get jammed in the centre if the unit takes a shock or too much vibration. Thankfully, it is a dead simple fix.

AK- Oct 25, 2012 01:51PM
Many Thanks..it was really helpful...:-)
God bless you.
no no- Nov 4, 2012 10:16PM
My laptop dvd/cd drive has had problems for a long time and I can never find the solution. What you said to do worked a little, but not completely. It will read discs now, but I have to pull back that transport almost every time, and there was no dirt or debris in mine. I also tried burning a cd and it didn't work. It was very slow and then in the end I guess it didn't finalize correctly because the cd does not play. It seems that my drive also heats up too easily and makes noise. If you know what else I can do please let me know.
jjj- Dec 4, 2012 09:33PM
Man i can not thank you enough. cant believe this was the problem. wow what a simple fix. guys if you have a similar problem give this a go. honestly.
zim- Dec 12, 2012 05:54PM
Awesome! Didn't expect that to work but it actually did, thanks! Hope I can undo the other silly stuff I tried first...
Pat- Dec 12, 2012 08:01PM
You are a genius thank you so much. I had the same problem and I followed your advice and it worked. yay.
Answer
+83
moins plus
I am running Xp and i get a dialog box that tells me to insert a cd into the drive even when one is already inserted. I cannot play any type of media cd or dvd. Please help me with this problem. anyone that can help please respond.

Rush- Jun 7, 2009 02:24PM
My dvd rw is not showng content in cd/dvd. I have win xp. Pls help me
Ken83- Dec 23, 2009 10:56AM
I have a windows xp., How do I get my dvd burner to work in this computer mine stopped working , Help me to fix mine , I saw where you go to the registry thing called
regedit so tell me how to fix mine so I can get it to work as well .,,. Much help is needed and thanks for the help.
tom101- Jun 18, 2010 09:35AM
Update the drivers and check this site out they normally have usefull information for these type of issue http://www.lucidica.com
Answer
+35
moins plus
Try to turn off the vista's burning feature.

It's not yours or anyones burners....just an update in vista which buggered the policies up

Go to your run command and type (start.....Run.....)
type gpedit.msc
Go to User configuration/Administrative templates/Windows components/Windows explorer
On the right pane, double click on "Remove CD burning features" tick the enabled button, then OK.
Reboot or logoff/logon to apply.

If your vista version does not have the gpedit function, do the following.
Open regedit, go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

In the right pane, if it does not already exist, create a new 32-bit DWORD value. Name the new value as NoCDBurning, and assign the value data to 1.
Reboot or logoff/logon to apply.

This should fix the problem
it worked for me
pass this round

Vika- Jan 28, 2010 04:30PM
Hey,
i have the same problem and i have Vista. I tried doing what you explained but it didn't work. Can you explain it to me again, please?
the genius- Mar 22, 2010 09:31AM
hey man it worked for me,so tanks alot.keep it up and bring those solutions more often.thnx
dkkpollock- Jun 15, 2010 07:34PM
For Win 7 it is already not configured, and this is correct to allow the dvd/cd rom to operate correctly. Enabling it disables all feature via Windows, but not 3rd party vendor software. I am coming to the conclusion the cd reader on mine is bad. Searching for the whole word gpedit.msc found the console for me in Win 7.
tary- May 6, 2011 05:33AM
thks jason, it worked for my laptop, thank you so mach
Annie- May 7, 2011 09:23AM
thankies sir jason. now, i'm able to view animes. too bad..>.> my dvd's were kept way back since that feature was not working but thanks a lot. it's perfectly fine now. :P
Answer
+27
moins plus
i have a dvdrw drive that burns dvds perfectly. only problem is once i pop a non blank dvd into the drive it reads it as a blank. i have tested the burned dvds in other pc's and it works. Any dvd in that drive is read as blank.....any suggestions as to what could cause this?

Answer
+27
moins plus
Just delete the upper lower filter key from registry.

The address is --->
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Then go to the device manager and uninstall the cd/dvd drive if the showing the yellow exclamation mark with them. and then restart the computer.

It will definetly work.

Manish Dev

Answer
+24
moins plus
i just had this same problem after windows 7 upgrade. After trial and error to fix this issue i opened divice manager uninstalled the the device and then restarted the computer. when restart windows found new hardware and installed the device and drivers. this fixed my issue. Hope this helps

Answer
+15
moins plus
my dvd/rw is a samsung writemaster it suddenly stop reading all types of cds and dvds plzz help
my os is win xp..

Tybaltkilla08- Feb 26, 2010 01:34PM
I opened mine up and cleaned the lens and also used a manual extraction tool. (lol) a paperclip to up in the small slot and pushed back on one of the 2 holes that are on the sides of the lens. I noticed it moved a lot faster than before. of course I used a Q-tip to clean out he dust my lil cousin who did what u did and burned a lot of cd's in it out. It was a mess. After letting it slide a bunch of times one way I did the other way pushing it to the tape inside the unit. There is tape on 1 side and not the other. Give it a shot, but be careful about that lens scratch it and u just bought a new one.
logik- Mar 26, 2010 07:33PM
Interestingly enough, that was what fixed mine too. I tried the registry hacks, updating drivers, etc. I finally decided that I had nothing to loose and forced the transport mechanism back and forth a few times (without touching the lens of course) and voila! The next time I put a DVD in, it worked like new. Burning works too.

I think in the case of DVD R/W from Samsung and TSST Corp, that the transport can get jammed if the system takes a shock or maybe over time due to vibration. In any case, this is how I fixed mine. Works like a charm
punx- Apr 6, 2010 11:35PM
Lmao i had the same problem for like a few months never really use the drive unless i'm playing a game( which i havent been cause i love my PS3) so i went to open it and do what you guys suggest lmao.. turns out my kid stuck a clothing tag in there so problem solved least for me :)
raja- Apr 20, 2010 07:42AM
Great. problem solved in couple of seconds. Thanks again.
Dominik Ras- Apr 24, 2010 11:38PM
Quick cleaning of the lens helped in my case as well. I also have Samsung Writemaster Dvd/rw TSST Corp SH-W162C. It takes some effort to pull your drive out, take the cover apart, get the tray out of the way to finally get to the tiny little lens, but it's worth the hassle - couple of delicate que tip moves and you're done.

That might sound trivial, but try to clean any signs of visible dust particles from any other part of the drive - that might minimize your chances of this issue recurring in near future.
Answer
+13
moins plus
I can not find HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\­Policies\Explorer also. I am running windows Vista.

When I go to registry this is what I have:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\­Policies.
Policies does not have a values.

Please help. I believe I am getting closer to resolving my issue with your forum.

Thank you

Answer
+11
moins plus
Hello Guys: Its Quite Informative Thread for me.

I had a very strange Problem with my CD/DVD. I tried almost every solution given on net, but at last I am not sure what made it working.. Here's my understanding experience

Dell Inspiron 1420
Windows Vista Business Edition
PBDS DS-8W1P Slim 8x DVD+/-RW

I tried working with Registry/ Drivers/ BIOS/ Dell Support Guys almost everything. Nothing came out Positive.. In my case it was working for few CDs/ DVDs but not all Cds/ DVDs esp never for '-R' CDs/ DVDs

At one point of time, I thought my CD/DVD rom does'nt support this -R type.. Even tough bought which supports +-RW which means +R -R +RW -RW all should be supported. It was disappointing with strange problem where only a few DVDs are accepted

One day after reading this thread (The first answer of cleaning the lense by Tybaltkilla08) strike to mind and I started cleaning the DVD lens with an ear bud.

When I pressed the lens it was moving in to/fro motion, i moved it left/right couple of time rotated the bud to clean the lens.... and that's it..Life was never the same again ..

All the DVDs/ CDs worked perfectly after that..

Hope this Helps

Answer
+8
moins plus
I Use DvdCloner with this you can clone the whole dvd like the main menu all the stuff a dvd has it will copy and you can also remove or add but yea ive been having a problem with RW DVD + R Blank Dvds it only plays on my pc or x-box360 But i got a copy from a friend that worked on my dvd player its a RW Dvd - R i guess i try that.

Answer
+7
moins plus
I can't plat video in dvd

Answer
+7
moins plus
You should delete your upper and lower filters in registry hkey local machine-->system--> currentcontrolset -->control --> class-->highlight the first map that starts with 4d --> on the right side u see the upper and lower filters.
reinstall the dvd player in device managerm--> fixed

Answer
+6
moins plus
I have the same problem as micro01. There are no subfolders in "Policies."

I didn't even realize my DVD Driver was acting up until I tried to install Sims 2 Double Deluxe, which is a "DVD-ROM." I paid extra money on my customizable VAIO to have a CD-ROM drive that also plays and burns DVDs. So I think whatever is wrong is just bunk and Microsoft needs to be able to finally resolve this problem. I realized something might be wrong with the driver when looked at its properties and saw the Drive H capacity is all used space. Although it all only has 0 bytes.

I uninstalled iTunes and all the other apple components which allowed my computer to realize that there WAS something wrong with the driver. I deleted the high and low filters and still can't get Sims to work.

I have a customized VAIO CR running with Vista and a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K17 ATA Device, but it looks like people are having problems with other drivers and computers, so I'm assuming the problem lies with Windows.

So am I able to disable the cd burning even without the "Explorer" subfolder?

Answer
+6
moins plus
POTENTIAL EASY SOLUTION

I just spent the last several days scouring the internet because my laptop's CD/DVD drive would no longer read anything...kept saying that I had inserted a blank disk when I clearly hadn't. The laptop is less than a year old and I have played maybe 2 CDs...how on earth can it already be busted?

I tried all of these random fixes everyone is talking about...all of the regedit stuff, deleting high/low filters, updating the driver, uninstalling the driver, using Microsoft "Fix It", rebooting the computer a bazillion times. Nothing worked and I was hatching a grand scheme to somehow get my computer back to the states (I live abroad) in time to use the warranty...

Then I cleaned the DVD drive's little lens thingy (I believe that's the technical name for it) underneath where you put the DVD or CD itself and it magically started reading audio CDs and DVDs again. I just gently wiped it with a clean cloth (like the kind you use to clean eye glasses)

Sounds silly, but even if you rarely use the drive, give it a shot if you haven't yet. Here's hoping it will work for someone else out there!!

Answer
+5
moins plus
What about people using windows XP; I have the same issue. Suddenly my Samsung DVDRW cannot read anything that is not commercial. I can put a CD such as windows or Driver DVD but I cannot play anything that I burned or ripped. I see that for people using vista they already have an answer. How can I fix the problem in XP.

trigel- Feb 13, 2009 05:38PM
I have been told it is probably the higfh and low filters I need to fix....I can get there but do not know what to do.
I have an HP touchsmart with Windows 7 which after installing 7 i cannot burn or even play a DVD in drive. It doesn't recognize it even after u put one in and PC told u too.
I have 64 bit. I probably should not have have put 7 on PC as I'm not really qualified or expert enough to troubleshoot. I did easily get to filters and administrative stuff.
any help is appreciated
Thanks, George
Answer
+5
moins plus
hELLo,

My cd rom is new i connect it in power supply i connect power connector then i test it i entered my dvd in my cd rom i wait few minutes but i cant read any cd please help me just add me in ym:Email Id removed for security if u hav answer in my question..........

Cd rom brnd:Lg
Model:GH22LP20

Answer
+5
moins plus
hi
Try this - Control Panel - Device Manager - CD/DVD - double click the device - Driver's Tab - click
Update Drivers (this will likely do nothing) - then RIGHT CLICK the drive - UNINSTALL - REBOOT
this will refresh the default driver stack.

Normally the above will fix that issue if not work your way down through these even if you have done
them before. thanks lee

kath- Oct 7, 2012 08:56AM
works well for me.. thanks!
Answer
+4
moins plus
have you found a solution to your problem yet???

The Iceman- Nov 5, 2008 07:35AM
Same problem here. Drive suddenly won't read/write any media. Was working fine 2 days ago. Replaced with same model but still same problem so it's in my pc or OS. Need solution urgently. Can't reinstall OS due too much data and software on it.
Answer
+4
moins plus
Ive had endless problems with most of them! Thay cheap, go and buy another! They not built to last!etlw

1 2 3 4 Next
This document entitled « DVD/RW will not read anything » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.