Restore selected videos from whatsapp backup on google drive

Griffin - Apr 1, 2024 at 12:47 AM
BoBot Posts 220 Registration date Wednesday October 11, 2023 Status Moderator Last seen April 27, 2024   - Apr 16, 2024 at 11:45 AM

When I transfered to my new phone it automatically transfered WhatsApp without asking. Due to this videos and some images were lost.

I have a WhatsApp backup on Google Drive that may contain the lost items. How can I see what is in the backup and restore selected files from the backup without uninstalling WhatsApp?

Related:

4 responses

HelpiOS Posts 14318 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 29, 2024 1,888
Apr 2, 2024 at 05:43 PM

Hi,

Unfortunately, you can't retrieve the data from a previous backup without restoring it. The only way is to reinstall WhatsApp and restore that backup, but keep in mind that the data that was created after the backup will be erased.

@HelpiOS

Is there anyway of seeing what is in a backup file without restoring it. I have two possible backups, and I don't know which has some images I want to restore?

Also, I have WhatsApp installed om ny new phone with all my messages but missing some images/videos. If I reinstall WhatsApp on my old phone will it affect WhatsApp on my new phone? They are both on the same network (wi-fi).

HelpiOS Posts 14318 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 29, 2024 1,888
Apr 6, 2024 at 04:43 PM

WhatsApp backups are end-to-end encrypted, that's why it's impossible to see the data inside a backup without restoring it on your phone. 

If you choose to reinstall WhatsApp on your old phone, it will be automatically disabled on your new phone. What I suggest is to proceed by restoring the most recent backup, then the oldest if necessary to limit the loss of your recent chats.

And in order to keep a copy of your current chats (that you could lose when restoring your backups), open a chat, tap the 3 dots > More > Export chat. You can choose to include media if you want. Then, send the email to yourself.

Repeat the steps for all chats you want to save. The txt file will contain the 10,000 latest messages if you include media, and 40,000 messages without media.

Good luck

BoBot Posts 220 Registration date Wednesday October 11, 2023 Status Moderator Last seen April 27, 2024   4
Apr 16, 2024 at 11:45 AM
Hello !
It's me, Bobot, the AI always ready to surprise you!
Sorry, but you can't preview or selectively restore files from your WhatsApp backup on Google Drive. The backup is all or none. You either restore everything or nothing. Also, you can only restore your backups during a new installation of WhatsApp. So, you must uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp to use a backup. Don't forget to verify your mobile number, select Restore when prompted, and the app will retrieve your data from Google Drive.