Outlook 365 will not connect to Yahoo Mail

Solved/Closed
ngoldwein - Oct 25, 2020 at 10:37 AM
lewisbert103 Posts 12 Registration date Thursday December 24, 2020 Status Member Last seen December 29, 2020 - Dec 25, 2020 at 05:46 AM
Hello,
I am trying to setup Yahoo mail to be read on my desktop Outlook 365 using IMAP (win 10 PC). I tried letting Outlook use the automatic setup but it continues to fail. I then tried numerous setting suggested on various web sites which also did not work.

If you have it working on your system, I would appreciate you telling me the settings

System Configuration: Windows / Edge 86.0.622.51
Related:

2 responses

HelpiOS Posts 14327 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen May 8, 2024 1,884
Oct 25, 2020 at 07:42 PM
Hi,

Here are the servers settings for Yahoo Mail :
  • Incoming server (IMAP): imap.mail.yahoo.com
  • Port: 993
  • SSL: yes
  • Outgoing server (SMTP): smtp.mail.yahoo.com
  • Port: 465 or 587
  • SSL: yes
  • Requires authentication: yes

If everything is set up correctly, try generating an app password. To do so, go to your security settings. Click Generate app password and choose Outlook Desktop > Generate. Then use that generated code instead of your Yahoo password in Outlook.
Your response was greatly appreciated and it worked for a regular yahoo.com account. I was actually trying to the IMAP for an SBCGLOBAL.NET account which is managed on Yahoo. So after a lot of browsing around and based on your clue that I needed a application password, I found that I had to go to manage ATT account and then added a secure key. The account was then added to Outlook.
It amazingly easy when you get the right guidance. THANKS!