Which Linux?

Closed
BossOnLine - Jan 9, 2008 at 01:11 PM
crazy_phoebe Posts 98 Registration date Wednesday February 20, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 6, 2009 - Jul 12, 2008 at 05:53 AM
Hi!
My computer is somewhat unstable and pretty old and I’m looking for a Linux version to use until I get a new one. Mainly looking for a live cd.

Specs:
Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows 98 SE
OS Service Pack
Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium IIIE, 550 MHz (5.5 x 100)
System Memory 128 MB (PC100 SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award Modular (10/20/98)
Partitions:
C: (FAT32) 12953 MB (3292 MB free)
And just for a lol at how old this is graphics card:
RAGE PRO TURBO AGP 2X (English) (8 MB)

If you need anything else please tell me.
Related:

6 responses

Xubuntu is for U
Hey, Boss!

I guess any Linux should be ready to go...

It just depends on what you want/need for the os. If you switch from Gnome/KDE to say fluxbox that will save you lots of resources. Just shutdown services/daemons that you aren't using on boot and treat it like any other computer.

Anyway, for old systems I would recommend Ubuntux because it’s easier if you’re new to Linux. But my personal favorite distro is Slackware. If you’re looking for a little webserver, DNS server something that you can run headless check out Centos.
Say Boss,
I know there is always a temptation to promote the most popular Linux but seeing your hardware you might want to go just a bit leaner. Ubuntu is a great choice and then there is Xubuntu. Xubuntu has the Xfce desktop, a light weight compared to KDE or Gnome.

Now if you want the best live-CD Linux I can think of it's Wolvix 1.1.0. Wolvix is Slackware based, has a good assortment of apps and tools and is only 483MB in size. Wolvix has Xfce desktop and Fluxbox, both light, fast and easy on hardware.
teebo Posts 33491 Registration date Wednesday October 13, 2004 Status Moderator Last seen February 24, 2011 2
Jan 25, 2008 at 07:14 AM
Hi,

I quite agree with rnojonson concerning Xubuntu. XFce is still easy to configure and use coming from Windows (which Fluxbox is not, even if it is definitely lighter on the system).
Anyway, I would probably try to go for an older release (one from 2005 or 6)

As for liveCD, I don't see it as a good idea seeing how slow it is on a high end PC...

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
[Dal] Posts 6180 Registration date Tuesday September 14, 2004 Status Contributor Last seen May 15, 2024 31
Feb 7, 2008 at 09:28 AM
Hello BossOnLine, teebo and all,

To complement teebo's answer about "As for liveCD, I don't see it as a good idea seeing how slow it is on a high end PC...", you can indeed expect difficulties using "Xubuntu desktop" if you try to run it only with 128 Mb of memory, as this version of Xubuntu is, in fact, a live CD itself (allowing laster installation) and loads plenty of things to memory.

If you find it too slow (or can't boot with such a small amount of RAM), and you want to try an installation of Linux, you should go for "Xubuntu alternate" which is a distribution meant for installation (thanks to Jeanbi for pointing that out to me a few days back).

http://www.xubuntu.org/get

Also, if you can, adding some more memory to your computer would definitely improve things.

Finally, I am not sure that going for an older release is a good idea, as old releases might contain old security issues corrected in current versions.

Dal
crazy_phoebe Posts 98 Registration date Wednesday February 20, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 6, 2009 2
Jul 12, 2008 at 05:53 AM
hey there bossonline,
how come the boss is not working????;-)so just try in this link and you will get your stuff and get just what you need dear.......bybye https://livecdlist.com/