Trouble with Linksys router WRT54GS

Solved/Closed
johnkwit Posts 4 Registration date Monday June 16, 2008 Status Member Last seen June 17, 2008 - Jun 17, 2008 at 06:17 PM
 fatawu - Jan 8, 2014 at 11:44 AM
Hello,
I have a new Linksys router WRT54gs and a new Dell laptop.
The router works well with the cable attached but when I go to wireless
I get a strong signal but unable to get on the internet with WEP security.
With security disabled the wireless works fine. But will not connect to the
internet with WEP security on. I tried to use the CD install disk that comes
with the router but ir does not help.
Any help would be apreciated

49 responses

hi please I need help
i cant connect through lynksys and I have a hp windows vista home premium
i dont know if I have to fix the router it appears when I try to connect to lynksys " get arrange with lynksys and the network is mark as hidden"
please help
all your settings can be found at this address.... for linksys default router ip 192.168.1.1 in your adress bar...defalt password will be "admin" .. be carefull wat u change if u need more help email me at truunderground@gmail.com
also u could try going to the adress in my last post and go to mac adress clone ... u can fix ur wireless settings and ur wireless firewall, port,ip adress, and any settings u ever need email me truunderground@gmail.com
To get through the username & password problem, I just used "admin" (without the quotes) for both and it logged me in so I could change my router settings.
claos.serrano
Nov 13, 2009 at 02:40 PM
Hello Shashank!

My warranty with Linksys has expired and Im trying to re-setup my router through my Mac laptop with the web based setup page and when I change the SSID name and click save settings it says: "Safari can’t open the page “http://192.168.1.1/WBasic.tri” because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection. This sometimes occurs when the server is busy. Wait for a few minutes, and then try again."

I've tried numerous times and also tried to change the password and nothing. Please I need some help because my neighbors are using my network and the signal strength is very slow.

Your help would be so much appreciated! :(

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
It ask for the password when I get tl
o the page and none of the defaults wok
Hi Shashank,

A friend lend me to use their WRT54GS version 1... downloaded the files need as per your instructions... problem is, at the end part on the set up... It says that.. "I have to turn off and on again the modem then click yes" coz it says that there were ni internet connection... but when I plug directly the cable to the desktop... it has an internet connection...

Hope you could help me out to this simple problem... Thank you!
at then of the set up... It says that "the router cannot connect to the internet, try to turn OFF and ON the Modem"

please help me...
i successfully set up the router, and I can use it now.. but I do have a new problem now... by the time I set up it, the SSID is "linksys", then I changed the SSID to "GodIsGood" now when I view the wireless connections it has shows 2 now, the linksys and the GodIsGood...

How can I remove the godisgood SSID? so that I may use only one.... Pls help me out.. THank you
I just fixed one.

OLD firmware is not compatible with Vista.

updated firmware and everything is fine.

Do a back to default reset - hold reset button in for at least 30 sec.

Connect to it wired

Point to new firmware file and go.

reconfigure with security

good to go.
I resently had a virus in my computer so I erased everything and reloaded, but my router will not hook up for me, what am I doing wrong.
tcd rider is broke is there another way trying to connect wireless adaptor to computer cannont use in stallation disc as
ok heres what you do go to your main pc if you have one and open internet then type in 192.168.1.1 ON YOUR ADDRESS BAR a window should pop up then put in admin on both lines it should redirect you to a wesite click on wireless then security your wep pass should be right there and enter it on your laptop connection
"type in 192.168.1.1 ON YOUR ADDRESS BAR a window should pop up then put in admin on both lines"

This doesn't work for me. I try to type admin for both lines and it keeps rejecting it. I've tried a whole bunch of other possible things too. I'm really stuck on this part.
Linksys problem
Apr 27, 2010 at 12:20 PM
This is exactely where I am stuck too. I have tried admin in both user name and password and just password. Neither work. I try several attempts then receive an error. I can't get to the Linksys setup screen. Is there a reason for this or some way to get around the problem?
use a wpa password instead of a wep password it is more secure anyways hope I could help
I have forgotten my password and portal id
having problems activating my access point on my toshiba taptop to connect to my canon printer?
How can make linksys router password in windows 7 after that it will be don't show in wirless mannege password key .
I Use Prolink internal modem. When I dial user name & password appear but not connected the internet. What can I do and how to solve the problem.
1 both wireless devices security settings a have to share a common password and security key try this sitehttp://www.linkwaves.com/networkinfo/
Go to configure your router by this link
http://www.linksysrouterwireless.com/article/Set-up-Linksys-router-wireless.php
you can configure WEP key for security in this site.
try to take off the wep and also see if your computer is blocking internet use
explain any seven working modes of a router