Trouble with Linksys router WRT54GS

Solved/Closed
johnkwit Posts 4 Registration date Monday June 16, 2008 Status Member Last seen June 17, 2008 - Jun 17, 2008 at 06:17 PM
 fatawu - Jan 8, 2014 at 11:44 AM
Hello,
I have a new Linksys router WRT54gs and a new Dell laptop.
The router works well with the cable attached but when I go to wireless
I get a strong signal but unable to get on the internet with WEP security.
With security disabled the wireless works fine. But will not connect to the
internet with WEP security on. I tried to use the CD install disk that comes
with the router but ir does not help.
Any help would be apreciated

49 responses

just push the center button....
How do I turn on the wireless ability on a hp pavilion zd7000?
Why does a Linksys router (WRT54G) cannot have a starting ip address that will be given to hosts next to the routers ip address for example: router's ip address: 192.168.1.50
starting ip address is: 192.168.1.51, it will go back to 192.168.1.100 as the default.
Hi,

You are found the solution for your problem? I have the same problem with a router Lynksys wrt54gl and a laptop DELL Latitude D610. You can help me?
Thank.
dana

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
hello you can try and use the easy button on the front of that linksys wireless G router if you use that and the WPA2 encyption it may work better I tried to set mine up manually using the wep encryption and it always fails to run my laptop and girlfreinds laptop and x box360 correctly try the easy secure setup button on the front of the router and write down the paraphrase or print it out with the SSID network name hope this solves your problem
what I think is that your computer dos not recognize the signal
try to do this in your computer sitting for the wirless

click open network & sharing center then manage wirless network

then see how many wirless in the list

try to remove all of them

then you have to re connect to your wirless modem name it will ask you to put your password if your modem have this security

i think your computer will connect smothly and getting the internet signal works

thanks
When I try to put a password on my linksys router when I type in admin for the password it didnt work, so im thinking I must have made a user and pass way back, how do I find what I named them?
please I have done all the configuration but still am not getting internet if you look at the network card it connecting ok but I can not get internet
you might 192.168.16.1 instead. Its amazing that somebody that claims to be from suport knows nothing about the product.