Computer shutting down while viewing video

Closed
justafrog21 Posts 6 Registration date Thursday July 26, 2018 Status Member Last seen July 30, 2018 - Updated on Jul 26, 2018 at 05:27 PM
 Blocked Profile - Jul 30, 2018 at 02:17 PM
everytime i render a video my pc shuts down while rendering after about 3 minutes in, when i check task manager before it shuts down: disk is at 0% - 2%, gpu is stable (i forgot the number but nothing special, maybe 13%), cpu is stable at 43%.

i tried to boot the system in power saving mode, i tried to render with the pc uncovered, i tried changing affinity in sony vegas. i do not know why it shuts down, i changed cpu not a while ago and with the old one i could render without issues, it might be because i put too much of that cool paste so the cpu does not heat? or because there is dust in the ventilator?

specs:
gpu: gtx 1060 6gb gibabyte
cpu: ryzen 5 1600x
psu: a good, new one, i forgot the name
motherboard: asus prime b350m
hard drive: a old one, maybe 4 year old, it came with my old pc

note: it does not shut down if the video takes 10 seconds to render
Related:

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Jul 26, 2018 at 04:37 PM
How many fans do you have in the case? Is there a fan on the CPU?
justafrog21 Posts 6 Registration date Thursday July 26, 2018 Status Member Last seen July 30, 2018
Jul 26, 2018 at 04:45 PM
i have 1 additional and yes
Blocked Profile
Jul 26, 2018 at 05:05 PM
OK, so you are doing video editing, with one case fan? It is heat. What is the size of your Power Supply?
justafrog21 Posts 6 Registration date Thursday July 26, 2018 Status Member Last seen July 30, 2018
Jul 26, 2018 at 05:26 PM
i have done "video editing" (i am talking about rendering a video in sony vegas 13) with this same case and the same "fans" for over 1 year and half, several times i rendered 50 minutes 1440p 60fps videos with no issues. my older cpu that i was using less than 2 months ago was the ryzen 1400 with the fan as i am using now with the ryzen 1600, that is the only difference there is and my pc shuts down now. as i said, i used to be able to render videos without issues with this same computer, only difference is the cpu and its cooling paste.

and size ? what is that question, i will not messure it... its a new one that i bought thinking of the meeting the conditions for my pc, its a corsair something, i think 850w
Blocked Profile
Jul 26, 2018 at 05:32 PM
850 watts can power more fans! The older CPU probably did not use as much wattage! Wattage = Heat.

It takes 1.5 watts to cool 1 watt of processing!

Your PS is big enough to handle about 6 more fans! Look on the MB, how many EMPTY fan plugs are there?

Take the cover off, and and place a BOX FAN in front of the PC, and try to render. Does it make a difference?

Can you under clock the new CPU, just to make it not use all of its cores? I had to underclock my CPU to 80% until I put 3 more fans into my case!

Just trying to help! Fans are like 7$, with cool LED lights and everything!
justafrog21 Posts 6 Registration date Thursday July 26, 2018 Status Member Last seen July 30, 2018 > Blocked Profile
Jul 26, 2018 at 05:41 PM
maybe the wattage is the problem. i will probably get more fans then, but you know how i can underclock my cpu like you said? because i tried to go to task manager -> set affinity in sony vegas so only 5 of my 11 processors are in use for it, but that did not work and my pc shut down anyway
You need the Motherboard suite. Look to see what software is built for your motherboard. The motherboard manufacturer has a GUI built for their hardware. It is a matter of installing them. Once you have the controller, you slide the slider to what % of usage you want, it does its config, and you reboot!

Try this after you put in your OS, after it loads:
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B350M-A/HelpDesk_Download/

YOur MB may not produce the tools after looking. IN which case, you need to do it in BIOS. How familair are you with BIOS settings, and the operation of BIOS?
justafrog21 Posts 6 Registration date Thursday July 26, 2018 Status Member Last seen July 30, 2018 > Blocked Profile
Jul 27, 2018 at 07:43 AM
sorry for the late response. so i know that if i press f2 when i turn on my pc, a window pops up and i think that's the bios you say, is that right?