My Dell Inspiron N5040 laptop won't power on

Solved/Closed
babu7 Posts 29 Registration date Friday October 13, 2017 Status Member Last seen May 23, 2023 - Updated on Jul 24, 2018 at 12:24 AM
 Blocked Profile - Aug 13, 2018 at 04:44 PM
Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron N5040 Laptop.

While replacing it's keyboard, I forgot to remove the battery. I replaced the keyboard with the battery in place.

After the keyboard was fixed, I tried to power on the laptop. It did not power on.

I removed the battery and inserted the power cable and put on the switch. It still did not power on.

I tried all the remedies available online, like removing the battery, pressing the power button for 20 seconds and then inserting the battery. It failed to power on.

When I insert the battery and switch the power adapter on, the only thing that happens is that the white light in front of the laptop turns on. This indicates that the battery is being charged, but for some reason, is not able to power on the laptop.

If anyone could provide a solution, I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Related:

1 response

Blocked Profile
Jul 24, 2018 at 04:58 PM
So, you made connections with the power on (battery in place)?

Yea, if the battery was still in place, it is toast! YOu can try the battery trick, but I think it is too late. Do this, it can't hurt. Take the battery out, and disconnect the power cord from the wall, and take it apart, if it comes apart into pieces. Press and hold the power button for 60 seconds, count it out the full 60. Wait five minutes (this is the discharge time for the power adapter, if it were storing over voltage). Put it all back together, and try to boot.

Post back!

babu7 Posts 29 Registration date Friday October 13, 2017 Status Member Last seen May 23, 2023 2
Jul 25, 2018 at 05:23 PM
I did exactly what you suggested.
It did not work.
The laptop just does not power on.
Blocked Profile
Jul 25, 2018 at 05:28 PM
It is toast!
babu7 Posts 29 Registration date Friday October 13, 2017 Status Member Last seen May 23, 2023 2
Aug 2, 2018 at 04:29 PM
I got it fixed.

The repair shop solved my problem but created another.

The laptop now powers on but I am unable to use the touchpad (mouse). The keyboard works but the touchpad and mouse pointers do not work.

I tried all the workarounds available on the net.

The repair shop people say that the touchpad needs to be replaced but I doubt it.

When the keyboard works perfectly, what could be wrong with the touchpad and mouse pointers?

It works perfectly if I attach an external mouse. But I want the touchpad on the laptop to work.

Let me know if you have a solution for this.
Blocked Profile
Aug 2, 2018 at 04:32 PM
Well, if it worked prior, then take it back, the work isn't done, as they have failed to put it back together. If there is an amber light on the mousepad, then it is locked. If there is no light, then the connector sounds to be disconnected. Take it back, and demand they fix it!!!!!!!
Blocked Profile
Aug 13, 2018 at 04:44 PM
I am glad you got it resolved! thank you for the feedback!