Trouble with Linksys WRT54G router

Solved/Closed
Lucas - Jun 14, 2008 at 07:55 PM
 robort1961 - May 26, 2016 at 04:12 PM
The only computer I have is a Dell Insprion E1505 laptop and it is connected to a "COMCAST" cable modem. Windows XP, not Vista is installed. I purchased a LINKSYS WRT54G wireless router. I installed the setup disk and connected the modem to the router, and the router to the computer as step one, but when step two had me disconnect the router from the laptop so it could connect via wireless network, it just says "easylink advisor could not establish a wireless connection with the router." Again, I AM able to search the web if the router is hard lined into the laptop, but that defeats the purpose of the router. This very well could be a network configuration issue, but i'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated!
"wireless network connection" shows my laptop has a 1390 wlan mini card.
thanks
Lucas, USA, Michigan

27 responses

I'm having similar problems as Lucas. It seems that comcast & routers are a big problem, period. Some people speculate that they have security settings against routers that they wont admit to, to deter people from using multiple pcu's on one modem. It sorta makes sense, although I think it sucks. i've reset the router & modem so many times i'm pretty sure i'm gonna fry one of them. Please someone post back here soon.
An Anonymous Pseudonym
Sep 10, 2008 at 03:48 PM
Sorry that you're having issues.

I have almost the same exact setup as Lucas, but I have my own cable modem (Linksys). I also use the WRT54G wireless router. I have used the router both with Comcast cable modems and my own Linksys cable modem, and have never had issues, save provider outages.

I guess there could be "security settings against routers that they won't admit to", but this is definitely not the case with the Linksys WRT54G.

Incidentally, I DO have WPA security enabled on my WAP, but it works fine with no security or WEP, as well.

I've had users complain that, in the past week(s), they have had increasing problems with their Comcast/Linksys setups, and that this procedure general works out some of the issues:

Flush DNS
Start->Run->cmd
'ipconfig /flushdns'

Power-cycle the router.

I know it seems simple, but this has drastically improved maintaining connection to Comcast via a Linksys router for those in my organization.
Steven McFly Jr
Apr 26, 2010 at 08:39 PM
This did the trick! FLUSH DNS & MARK's original reset s*it! THANKS!
Mark,

Thanks. You ar Da MAN !! Works like a charm.
Hi,you cant start with step one, you first have to install easy advisor ,insert your disk scroll down and find easy advisor and install it ,then proceed to install tep one and so on .hope this helps you ,i had a similar problem and it work for me.
Since the linksys software was changed to the dd-wrt program by a "so-called" computer expert (right before he crashed my harddrive)... can't use the original disk. I battled the router for several entire days using every piece of advice from this and other boards to no avail. I'm having a friend of mine who is an actual computer repair guy attempt to re-flash the router and install the original software back on it. I shipped him the router today.
thanks for your help!
Tina
pceasy > mdcitrus
May 4, 2009 at 11:51 PM
you probably have everything up and running by now, but fyi, most likely it was not the router that was the problem.

If that ever happens to you again, first try connecting ONLY the router to the computer (port 1 to PC) with no modem connected. See if the PC gets an IP. If not, check your NIC card settings to make sure they are set to DHCP, etc. if you *can* get an IP from the router without it connecting to the modem, you know it's not a router issue. 95% of the time it's a configuration error--often caused by DSL modems and routers fighting for DHCP rights. When using a DSL modem/router with a second router (usually for wireless), you need to put the DSL modem in BRIDGED MODE and enter all of the connection information through the router. Otherwise, IP issues ensue, exactly like you are describing. Sometimes, it will work for a while set-up wrong and then one day, just fail and you have no idea why. Most of the time, this is the problem I see.
mdcitrus > pceasy
May 5, 2009 at 05:14 AM
thanks! Most of the problem was the dd-wrt software that had beed installed with the router and the "expert" who did that also had the modem and router fighting over the DHCP as you said. Was able to reflash the router back to linksys and chenged all the settings. All works now finally.
Perfect! the trick with the cloning MAC address works. Looks like Comcast are treating the users like id..ts , but that is OK - it is fixable and the fix can be found in the Interet. Thanks everybody for cotributing.

Second thing - I replaced the original operating systme of the router with DD-WRT OS that is, I think, linux based. What happened with the original Linksys OS is that my Mac's wifi crashed the system every 5 minutes !!!

Once I put the DD-WRT package, I rebotted the router once (!!!) in 1 year, not every few days.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
HI THERE HAD MINE A LONG TIME A GO SOO I TRADED UP TOO A BELKIN N-1 ROUTER WICH HAS A DIGITAL DISSPLAY AND HAS PLUG IN PLAY SOFTWARE NOT GOING BACK TOO LINKSYS WRT54G ROUTER I WILL STAY WITH MY BELKIN N-1 ROUTER
Comcast is now giving away to its customers netgear routers which seem to be plug n play. The linksys is ok but usually breaks down with a lot of different systems anywhere from 3 months till it dies. Comcast appears to offer a lifetime warranty on netgear. I have had mine for a couple months after the third linksys died and it is running 2 wired pc's, a wireless desktop and a 3 port voip router
Hi lucas,

It is just a case of wireless setting to be properly done on Linksys router or maybe some fine tuning on your laptop (turning off firewall). You can call linksys technical support to fix your issue.
These are the steps that I have to use to get the router to function again. It may vary a little bit if you have a different model of router, but the spirit remains the same:

Plug your computer directly into the cable modem.
Use "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" from the windows command prompt to get a new IP address from the cable modem.
Unplug your computer from the cable modem.
Plug your computer into the router, leaving the router unplugged from the cable modem.
Use ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew to get an IP address from the router.
Enter the router's configuration with your web browser.
Tell the router to Clone your Mac Address. wait a few seconds.
Plug the router into the cable modem.
In the web interface, tell the router to ask for a new IP address from the cable modem. (This is the "DHCP Renew" Button) The cable modem should think that you are the PC that just spoke with it and will let your router work again. You might have to ask it to renew a couple times.
This whole process takes a couple minutes. If you find
Thanks Jackie! It worked. You saved me from buying a new router.
simon > Jackie
Jan 10, 2010 at 10:37 PM
Jackie,

I'm a new owner of a MacBook Pro... can you provide any help for tweaking your instructions for my laptop? Thank you!
Doitonline > Jackie
Jan 25, 2010 at 01:36 PM
Thank you so much Jackie. You have saved me so much time and effort. I have been working on this for almost six hrs
mdizzy > Jackie
Feb 2, 2010 at 10:00 PM
Thank you so much Jackie this saved me a lot of time!