IE 8 cannot access any internet web pages

Solved/Closed
dumbdum - Updated on Jun 6, 2017 at 03:42 PM
 Ramrod - Dec 26, 2018 at 10:48 PM
Hello, I'm having a problem gaining access to the internet with IE, cannot up date avg 8 for virus protection. I can still go on line through Google Chrome and I'm receiving my e-mail but whenever I try to go on line through IE, I get a message saying cannot access this web page, my anti virus is well out of date. Is there some other way to update the AVG without going through IE ? I have tried down loading the update to my downloads but I don't know how to get it installed into the AVG, it says that it is a bin file, whatever that is . I have AVG 8 installed and I have IE 8 installed, my windows program is xp media addition sp3. I don't know much about computer ,only enough to get me in trouble. Has anyone had this problem ??? Help

43 responses

SOme people have had luck by disabling all of the plug-ins and IE would work. Then enable each plug-in one at a time until IE doesn't work and that's the problem. As for me, it does not work and I can't get online with it at all. Firefox works without a glitch. Only reason I have IE installed is so that I can get the updates from MS.
Hi,

I noticed IE 8 doing something similar on one of our network computers the other day. Try going into your control panel, clicking on network connections. Then right click local area connection. In the next menu, scroll down to TCP/IP and right click it. Go to properties and make sure that obtain an IP address automatically is checked. For some screwy reason when I installed IE 8 on a computer, it went and changed these settings, thus the inability to connect through any browser whatsoever even though the network was still functioning.

Hope this helps!
Your advise helped. This is the fix for what I was looking for.
ie8 is suck
i did removed it from my computer
hi

ive the same problem, infortunly for me didnt work.
ipv4 and ipv6 checked and obtaining auto ip

more ideas are welcome
I am still having this issues and my connection is fine. I have a connection to the network and able to ping microsoft and everything else on the internet, but when I try to open IE8 it does not work. This I have to say is the worst IE that microsoft has ever released. I think they should taken the time to debug their code, before pushing it out to all Microsoft computers like it's a nessecary download.

Anyone else have information on why IE8 is the only thing that does not work?

There is no firewall connections, I am not sure what toolbar programs where installed with 6/7. It could be something with these old toolbars, but then why is there more than a few people getting this problem.

I have ran 4 different virus programs, they seem to update and access the internet just fine. I can use firefox and opera without issues.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I can't believe it was as simple as that. I have a new netbook and as soon as I was wireless it picked up the ie8 update, then wouldn't work after the restart. The tcp/ip fix was the one I needed!
I'm having this problem right now. Firefox and all my other connections are working.. but IE 8 can't seem to connect to anything.
I'm having a similar problem. It loads fine at first, no issue at all, and then after just a minute or two, it stops connecting to websites, period. Nobody seems to know what it is, but it seems to be a pretty major problem. Everybody wants to blame it on firewalls, but my Windows Firewall has been disabled since the day I upgraded to XP, and I've never used a third party firewall. Don't have time to deal with the hassle of trying to get all the computers to detect one another through the firewalls. So in my instance, firewalls aren't an issue. It's an issue with IE8 or its settings somewhere. And nobody is willing to look there.
the IE 8 when installed does not display orkut web page
Sharky58 > Jammie
Nov 13, 2009 at 02:41 AM
Hey.
I seem to run into that problem as well. I was on AVG 8.5 with no problems at all. Then on Nov 5 I got a dialog box pop up telling me to upgrade to AVG 9 since by Dec 1'st the 8.5 is no longer supported. So here I do downloading it and install it. I choose the free edition. After that I had issues with Firefox (Perfer to use Firefox 3 over IE8). after a short time the web browser would stop responding. wont refresh. wont go to websites. I discover that IE8 basicly has the same issue. but it seems to work a bit longer than Firefox. I spent 2 days trying to figure out what's going on. I even messed with my router, asked my roommate to reset his modem. It didnt work. Talked to my friend who built my pc and he figures it is the firewall. I dont see a firewall option on the free edition. I removed AVG. use JV16 to weed out the other AVG programs out of my registery. Then reinstall. This time it worked so far.
What you could do is uninstall AVG. if you know how to get the rest of the AVG files off your registery, you are all good. When you install AVG. choose COSTOM. When you get to where it gives you choises what you want or dont want installed. remove a check on the box that says something like Web shield and firewall (if you are a paid user or on a free trial) Then you shouldnt have problems with any web browser after installing AVG. I read that AVG has issues with the web shield on wikipedia.
I hope I helped you greatly on this issue. Have a great day.

Sharky58
Me either and it drives me crazy. For being such a big well known and used site you'd think it would be able to stay connected to the web. Especially when there is only one approved browser which is used for Microsoft and many other sites. I am really sick of it going down all the time and it always talks about my connection being the problem. Right that's why I can connect on every other browsing site! Except for tonight that is because everything kept going down all night tonight.
anyJoeDoe > sandles
Jan 24, 2010 at 03:31 PM
Some fake antivirus make changes to the LAN options on IE, and afterwards, if antivirus or antispay does not restore the correct settings, perhaps this silly thing can help:
Go to Internet options from withint IE, go to conections tab, and then to LAN SETTINGS. Check "automatically detect configuration" and UNCHECK the option "use a proxy server...."
Restart IE to see if it works correctly.
If you use Google Chrome, it will solve the problem also.

I hope it can help
Cheers