Kioskea
Recherche
Ask a question Report

French Keyboard activated [Solved/Closed]

HP Help - Latest answer on Oct 21, 2012 11:25AM
Hello,
I have an HP Pavillion dv9000 and I have somehow activated the French keyboard and I do not know how to return it to English. Help please.
Read more 
Answer
+546
moins plus
I figured out why this goes on so frequently. There’s a keyboard combination that switches languages. Mine was set to Ctrl-Alt which gets hit occasionally. There’s two ways to turn it off

1. Near the bottom right of the screen is an icon of a keyboard. Left click and select US keyboard if it’s set to French. This turns it off but it doesn’t prevent it from getting switched again.

2. The permanent fix is to disable the key combination. There’s two ways to do this. Right click on the keyboard icon and left click Settings. Select the “Advanced Key Settings” tab. Click the “Change Key Sequence” button and select “not assigned”. Click OK a few times and you’re done.

If you cannot locate the keyboard icon you can get at this through the control panel. Go to Regional and Language control panel. Select the keyboards and languages tab and click the change keyboards button. This takes you to the language settings described in step 2 above.

Donna- Jun 11, 2010 01:58PM
You are awesome. I have been having this issue since I bought my laptop! Hopefully its fixed now!
Rainbow- Jun 14, 2010 08:05PM
I just fixed my compu! Thanx!
veronica- Jun 28, 2010 03:21PM
thank u brian v i was like omg ur kiddin me rite but thx so much
Leslie- Jul 5, 2010 04:44PM
OMG! You don't know how many buttons and combinations I have hit to make this thing go away. Sometimes it worked but I never knew why. AND it always came back. You are my hero.
(I guess I ask a lot of questions because it nearly drove me nuts.)
dvs1981- Oct 21, 2012 11:25AM
So simple and eloquent. Thank you, it took 3 hours of sifting through crap on the internet to actually find the correct answer. Much appreciated.
Answer
+40
moins plus
i hav a toshiba. Ctrl + Shift will undo the French keys, or reset it.

pandrama- Jun 25, 2010 01:02PM
:) that worked , tks :)
cat- Oct 15, 2012 02:01AM
that worked for me to thanks :D
Answer
+31
moins plus
i had the same problem.
hit a combination of shift + alt + ctrl and the Up button. takes a couple of combo tries, but usually works.

Merrikate- Jan 11, 2010 05:38PM
THANKS! This works great.
Anon- Mar 7, 2010 09:38AM
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Years, and now minutes, of frustration solved. Ctrl+Alt+Shift worked!! Woohoo!
Kinkajou- May 31, 2010 02:12AM
thank you both ways work but because my HP is so messed up the Shift+Alt+Ctrl+Up button worked better
nate dogg- Jul 2, 2010 12:47PM
amazing!
Answer
+12
moins plus
So annoying!!!!!!!!!! It also depends when you did it. If youère in a firefox window when you hit the key combo, or in word, or with none of those open, etc. Every time I think I have it figured out, I hit the combo and have to find yet another way to solve it. I canèt keep doing this!!!èèèèè

Answer
+6
moins plus
In Windows 7, go to Control Panel, "Clock, Language, Region", "Change Keyboards or Other Input Methods", "Change Keyboards", and "Advanced Key Settings". There it tells you the hot keys that are set to change between languages for your computer, so that you A. know what not to press when you don't want to, and B. can turn off the hot keys altogether if you like, or C. change to a different language besides French that you may use. Mine were Left Alt and Shift.

Answer
+5
moins plus
thanks Brian V!!!!!!! what a life saver!

This document entitled « French Keyboard activated » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.