Kioskea
Recherche
Ask a question Report

Desktop and taskbar keeps disappearing [Solved]

smiler5000 1Posts Wednesday May 28, 2008Registration date May 29, 2008Last seen - Latest answer on Dec 31, 2010 10:49AM
Hello,
im new here so any help would be appreciated. Since last night by desktop and taskbar keeps disappearing, ive read many forums on the net regarding this and still found no solution, its Vista, on a Fujitsu Siemens laptop. i read first that reinstalling your web browser would help (the problem only came when online) but that didnt help and now its happening when i click into folders.
Norton revealed nothing, ive used task manager to bring it back up and its fine until i enter a folder. I also read that something downloaded could be to blame, so find out what folder it does it in then delete what is making it do it, but now its happening with every folder.
Any other suggestions would be brilliant, im not amazing with computers but know a little....any ideas please please please????????
Thanks
Read more 
Answer
+10
moins plus
I had the problem of constantly disappearing and reappearing icons and taskbar. Explorer.exe kept crashing according to the eventview. after reading many forums a tried a program called "SUPERAntiSpyware". Turned out I had a
Trojan called Vundo. Funny thing is I tried Ad-aware before, which in fact discovered something other than just cookies but appearently didn't clean my PC completly. SUPERAntiSpyware is the way to go
Skip- Dec 30, 2008 01:56PM
Thank you so much that superantispyware it worked but now i have to work on a school essay since i fixed the problem but thanx man
Soupa- Jan 18, 2009 10:39AM
You are a lifesaver (or computer saver)! I ran the SUPERAntiSpyware and it found several Trojans, variants of the Vundo as well as other malware. Got rid of them all and problem disappeared. Thanks so much.
acycle- Feb 17, 2009 11:34PM
I had the same disappearing Desktop icons and folders that drove me crazy over several hours. Finally it wasn't a trojan or spyware. Below Microsoft XP support article solved my problem. (mine occured after a graphics card update, program uninstalls and a registery clean-tweak)

Your Desktop Icons Are Missing in Windows XP

Article ID: 330170 - Last Review: February 1, 2007 - Revision: 1.4
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330170

SYMPTOMS

All the icons may be missing from your desktop. However, if you open your Desktop folder in Windows Explorer, you can see your desktop icons in that window.

CAUSE

This behavior occurs if the Show Desktop Icons feature is turned off.

If you upgrade a previous version of Windows to Windows XP, and Show Desktop Icons was turned off in the previous Windows version, this setting is maintained, and user icons appear to be missing from the desktop. The Show Desktop Icons setting is ignored in previous versions of Windows if Active Desktop is turned off. In Windows XP, Active Desktop is always turned on and cannot be disabled.

RESOLUTION

To resolve this behavior, SIMPLY turn on the Show Desktop Icons feature:

1. Right-click the desktop.
2. Point to Arrange Icons By.
3. Click Show Desktop Icons.
shayan (pakistan)- Mar 31, 2010 08:57AM
thank u very very much.
Saleem- Dec 31, 2010 10:49AM
That "SUPERAntiSpyware" worked on my computer thank you so much Ree y, you are great
Add comment
Answer
+1
moins plus
loooooooool. I have solved the problem. just click on the desktop right click > new > shortcut > desktop. finally, just drag it to the quicklaunch bar. that's it.
Add comment
Answer
+1
moins plus
I plug my Flashdrive into my laptop to watch a movie, when doing that I notice that all my icon on the desktop were done with the taskbar. I restarted it & waited, thinking that the icon will come back but nothing happen. I did this over & over & nothing change.

Please help me .....
Add comment
Answer
+0
moins plus
I used the superantispyware and it says it removes the vnod variant , but my macine continues to have the issue. Everytine i rerun the scan, it finds the the malware agaiin.
dan- Nov 4, 2008 12:36AM
You should search google for a Vnod or Vundo remover, whichever you have.
Add comment
Answer
+0
moins plus
I ran the SUPERAntiSpyware and my problems went away i would highly recommend it to anyone with a virus problem also i figured out that the screen flashing is usually the result of a trojan virus picked up from downloads so watch what you download and always scan it =)
TheParoxysm 170Posts Sunday December 7, 2008Registration date March 25, 2011Last seen - Dec 9, 2008 12:59PM
Well that's not very nice.

If you wanted to recommend every antivirus or antispamware that picked up 1 thing, then you would be having 30 or so installed!

Vundo is actually a VIRUS not a spamware. It's just packaged with spamware, which is why an antispamware took care of it. A good antivirus would have solved the problem.

I'm sorry you're not well protected, I suggest Avast!. It's both free, and comprehensive.
Add comment
Answer
+0
moins plus
I suggest running SUPERAntiSpyware or any other spyware programs in safe mode, sometimes if you run the programs in mormal mode it won't pick out the pests because some of them are running processes..Then re-boot,then it should be ok. I sometimes run two spyware programs,you will always find one program picks out pests that other programs don't
Add comment
Answer
+0
moins plus
I had the same problem. The desktop icons would completly dissapear, or they would show up every few seconds and dissapear again. I downloaded SUPERAntiSpyware and the problem seems to be resolved.

THANK YOU
Add comment
Answer
+0
moins plus
thank you for your help i just had a client who had this happen and i could not figure out what was going on installed

super spyware and everything is working great now

Cheers

<<Jay>>
Add comment
Answer
+0
moins plus
well I must agree it did work for me, but small fore-warning, if the virus has caused enough damage it can take down windows in the prosses, if this happens reboot in safe mode with network conections, and go here for repairs: http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm hope that helps some with other users who have been hit as I have
Add comment
Answer
+0
moins plus
something similar happened to me. First, I went to safemode and ran superanti-spyware. If found a trojan that sent a false message to stop internet explorer from loading. after the scan was complete and the trojan removed I restarted my computer in normal mode. I then pressed alt, control delete and brought up task manager. I then went to file and started a new task. I entered browsed and look at what was on my desktop. I saw that my internet explorer was missing so I opened up google chrome and went to the microsoft website and downloaded internet explorer. after internet explorer downloaded I restarted my computer and all my desktop icons reappeared
Add comment
Answer
+0
moins plus
That "SUPERAntiSpyware" worked on my computer thank you so much Ree y
Add comment
This document entitled « Desktop and taskbar keeps disappearing » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.