Kioskea
Recherche
Ask a question Report

HELP my western digital is not recognized [Solved/Closed]

abzy.P - Latest answer on Nov 25, 2012 12:36AM
Hello,
hiya, my western digital works on my PC, but when i tried it on my ACER notebook it said " Drive :/F is not recognized." HELP plz
Read more 
Answer
+380
moins plus
Hey guys,
My laptop stopped recognizing WD Passport with a letter drive in Explorer. The device was listed as working properly in Device Manager. After calling the tech support, they were really helpful in solving my problem with following steps (Vista Home):
1. Explorer - right click on Computer - Manage
2. Disk Management in left window
3. In lower portion of middle window find your external drive (maybe Disk 1). Try disconnecting and reconnecting USB cable to identify if having difficulties.
4. Right click inside a white rectangular block - Change Drive Letter
5. Assign a different letter (ex: P)
Should be visible in the Explorer as new letter drive.

Good luck.

Arunprl- Nov 25, 2012 12:36AM
Thanks. That worked like a medicine. Thank you very much.
Answer
+50
moins plus
Go to Western Digital Site and in downloads there is a software for diagnosis. Download it and run tests on your disk. It will give the test result and the problem also. Most probably your disk connecting cable may be damaged. Kindly replace it with another one and check it. You will get solution.

Answer
+34
moins plus
The instructions in the manual are not clear. The drive is not recognized because it is mapped to the E or F drive. You need to do these steps"
- right click on My Computer and click Manage.
- Click Disk Management
- Select the WD Device and change the drive it is mapped to. Change it to anything else like P or M.
- Then bring up the windows explorer and My Computer. You should be able to see the P or M drive there now and you should be able to drag and drop files.

Note that the above will work only if VCD is enabled. To do enable VCD you will have to bring up the main window that comes up when you initially plug the HD in, go to the right most tab and choose Security. You can set the VCD to enable there.

it worked!- Oct 31, 2012 10:52AM
thank you very much!!!
Answer
+32
moins plus
Thanks so much! I had this exact problem, and after trying tweak and the Microsoft fix... I realized my brother had switched cords on me! So I switched it back to the original cord, and guess what, it worked!

Answer
+28
moins plus
Hey guys.

I have a WD My book home edition (WD 5000AAC External USB Device). It's one of the older HD's. the cable that connects it to the computer has an USB port from one side and ... some other ending from the other (the HD end side). I have Win7 on 2 machines. the HD works great on my 3.5 year old laptop, but it is not detected on my new PC. I can't just 'swap cables' because the ending is ... 'unique'. Any ideas?

Thanks

Answer
+27
moins plus
GOOD NEWS ! i found out the problem....

It seems windows 7 doesn't understand its own permission system for ext drives. If u had any kind of permission (Normally turned on from having a password on a user account) then windows 7 can't see in the drive and will only let u reformat it.

Lucky its very easy to fix as long as u have a 2nd computer with xp/vista installed.

First of all check that in control panel - folder options - view tab. at the bottom of the list make sure use simple file sharing is not ticked.

now

Plug the drive in on the 2nd computer, go to my computer, right click properties, go to the security tab, (vista uses will have to click edit) add a new permission... type "everyone" and set to full access... Apply the setting this will take some time depending on data.... now plug the drive in your windows 7 PC and be amazed that the data is all there....

I'm surprised Microsoft have made a mistake like this because there windows xp upgrade requires a ext drive to save your data.

Keep in mind that this will not fix damaged hardware.

WandaToo- Oct 25, 2012 08:48AM
Hi there, in my Control Panel I do not have a 'folder option'. where else might I find it please? I'm using Win 7 and definitely cannot find this option in my control panel - does it have another name? Thanks.
Jason- Nov 18, 2012 10:39PM
Thanks for thyis tip. Fixed my problem exactly! Can't believe Microsoft screwed that up so royally!
Answer
+13
moins plus
For the rest of you follow this link from Microsoft 'A computer that is running Windows XP cannot detect a USB flash drive, an Apple iPod, or an external hard disk drive' (which worked for my PC) or buy a Mac, which worked best for me all round!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925196/en-us

Geoffrey... play nicely with the other children.

BerneSoftware- Feb 27, 2010 01:00PM
Worked for me...
toddy3174- Feb 28, 2010 04:53PM
THIS WORKED!!!!! OMG i am sooo much greatful you have saved 467gb of important shit for me thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!
MrAoife- Apr 6, 2010 07:34AM
This worked for me. Only one of the values was there, I deleted this one (the upperfilters) and it works fine now.
My problem started after I tried using the HD on my work Mac, (which didn't work), then when I went back to my personal PC it wasn't recognised. Strangely the HD also wasn't recognised on my boyfriend's PC, but after doing the registry fix on my PC only it now works fine on his PC again.
fireflies- Apr 20, 2010 11:10PM
The link title exactly describes my problem - ie WD HDD cant be found. But the FixIt button within that page is for fixesof problems with DVD/CD - when I could not find a Fix it specifically relating to the Ext HDD USB etc i tried the DVD/CD fix. Nup. Wasnt the problem, so didnt fix it. So where is the Fix It you people have used for the missing Ext HDD coz that link doesnt go there for me!
klatu- Jul 6, 2010 06:53AM
I'm betting that your hub was externally powered.

A standard USB port is current limited to 500mA. However a 2.5" drive typically requires around 800mA during startup and 400mA thereafter. Some USB ports are OK with this, while others are not.

You can get around this limitation with a Y-cable that picks up power from two USB ports. Learn what is Y cable here http://www.google.com/...
Answer
+9
moins plus
Solved it
formated the computer and reinstaled windows, not working, went into bios and disabled usb 2.0, it works (slower)

Answer
+8
moins plus
Ok the problem is the formatting. Number one what you need to do is take out what is in your WD transfer it to which computer can recognize it. Once the WD is empty you need to format that. I know how to do it on MAC but with windows I have not tried. With WD they do have a website and it's free when you call them. They will guide you how to format that on the phone. Once you have done the proper format you can use the WD to any computer. ANY. try to check the website to get the number for technical support.

Or you can format that onto a mac computer. here is how you do it. If using mac to format:

Click on Macintosh HD
Click on Application
Choose Utilities
Double click on Disk Utility

Click on your WD e.g 320.07 GB WD etc.
Click on Partition Tab.
Choose Partition 1 on the drop down below
You can rename your WD to anything
Click on Format option and Choose MS-DOS (FAT) not big woman ok.
click option below and Tick Master Booth Record

Then Click Apply:

You will notice on the desktop the WD will change name. That indicates that the format is done and you can use your WD to any computer... hope this help.

Answer
+7
moins plus
Hey guys ..

I had the same problem !! ..
And I Simply changed the USB Cable and it has worked ..

Hope it works for u guys

Answer
+7
moins plus
Install the WD SmartWare found on My Computer.

Answer
+6
moins plus
MY PS3 DOES NOT SHOW WD USB DRIVE AFTER CONNECTING IT TO IT

Answer
+5
moins plus
THAT IS IT!!!

I used the cable that came with my blackberry phone and presto.. it works!!!!

the cord could have gotten changed or misplaced, ect.. but the answer after hours of trying,, it was the cord. the really strange thing is that the "bad cord" worked on vista and XP. just not windows 7.

I can even replicate the problem again and again, grab the "bad" cord, plug into my vista laptop, it works, plug into windows 7 Nothing, it doesn't even see the drive although the drives power lights come on.

change the cord to the "good" cord, and it works on vista, xp, and 7

Crazcanuk- May 3, 2010 08:05PM
That worked!!! used cable from Blackberry phone and worked just fine. Pretty pathetic that they can't even supply a "good" USB cord. Compare the two cord and you can notice the physical difference between cord thickness and the ends.
What happened to WD they used to make good products!?!?!?!
Answer
+4
moins plus
hi what is this? story time? i don't care about your personal life, people.
if you have a solution, great, if not, take your stories elsewhere.

Stop Being a Douche- Nov 3, 2009 10:52AM
Hey Geoff,

Stop being a douche.

That being said and done, I have the same problem with my WD external HD. Sometimes when my computer restarts or shuts down for any reason, it stops reading it. If left alone, it suddenly recognizes it, but only after several hours. This doesn't help, but may help someone ultimately determine what is going on with this P.O.S. hard drive.
Answer
+4
moins plus
support at western digital says older (including recent) my passport and other passport drives are not supported to work with windows 7!!!!

how can they not support their hard drive products?

oli- Dec 8, 2009 04:44AM
I fixed that problem with a WDC My Book Home 1TB in Windows 7:

The drive was recognized in computer management and in device manager but no drive letter was allocated while connected with a e-sata cable.

1.in computer management > storage > disk management
2.rightclick drive 1 or wathever the number of the WDC drive (which should be basic at this time)
3.select 'convert to dynamic disk'
4.drive should get a drive letter
5.format (warning: all data get lost, but you can download original software from wdc.com)

Succes!
Olivier
eaelec- Dec 25, 2009 09:33PM
Tried your fix, but I get message saying 'the operation is not supported by the object'. Back to square one. Think I'll return it as it's still in warranty. What a pain though!
kaustubh- Apr 4, 2010 11:46PM
Hey, i got the solution. I was having the problem because of old motherboard, which doesnt support high speed WD usb harddisk. WD portable harddisk has much more rotations (i guess 75 rpm) which is not supported by some low perfoming motherboards.

Even sometimes, it can detect ur harddrive, as you restart your pc by disconnecting the USB mouse or USB keybard, in some cases. As these devices shares the USB power output with connected usb harddrive its unsufficient for portable harddisk, if your motherboard is old (and even SMPS output voltage is low).
frink- Jun 30, 2010 07:59PM
oli - thank you.
Rouffian- Jul 26, 2010 10:48AM
Whether or not WD say that the My Passport is supported under Windows 7, it is. It just uses the same driver and works flawlessly. I have two, a 500GB and a 1TB and I just plugged them in and they were fine. Works with my daughter's PC too.
Answer
+4
moins plus
Hopefully this can help.

I was using my WD passport my parents computer like normal. Then I connected it to my own new eeepc which started to installing the device etcetc. but it wasnt showing up as normal, it only said "local disc (E:)" for example.

So It wanted me to format and my computer was really slow during the time.. Really annoying. What I did was I went to device manager and I uninstalled it (USB mass harddrive device(?) under the USB tab) like 2-3 times and during these tries I switched USB ports and tested with everyone of them. Suddenly I got both the "format this disc before use" and the screen for "How do you want to open this disc" so. Ofcourse I quickly copied everything on it to my desktop and now Im looking in to it further. Hopefully this was just a case of "bad disconnection" between my parents computer and my own. Always use safe remove before disconnecting.

If this doesn't work. connect the non working external drive and go to device manager where you change its drive letter. "Drive letter and paths" or something, I cant really remember right now. Hope this helps.

Dr. D- Oct 15, 2012 01:34AM
thanks guys, much appreciated the knowledge that you share
Answer
+4
moins plus
Like I sad my hard drive output usb broke up I wanna fix it

Answer
+4
moins plus
Hello sir
i purchased wd 1 hard disk500GB from Chadni chowk (shoping name Arihant Infotech ltd ,kolkata) market one month ago.now it stop working,when power on it makes sound but my pc is not recognising it.plz solve my problem ,After 7days over iam complain loged ( RMA No. 820 353 66 & CASE ID : WD 07xxxxxx ) but atpresent not received my hard disk / no exchenge when am contract in your customercare phone number more time answering called mode "After our technician contract shortly " iam wait for your customercare called but one hours over not respond.
iam AWAIT FOR YOUR VERY BAD SERVICE. When your technician receive my hard disk !
I Hope don't purchege your WD hard disk ANY PERSONS .... VERY VERY VERY VERY BAD SERVICE ..
Thanking you
Rgds
Rana sen gupta

Answer
+3
moins plus
How are you supposed to reformat the drive when your computer doesn't recognize it in the first place?! That's the problem.

gordonfan24 Micky - Mar 5, 2010 10:22PM
You saved me a headache. Thank you very much.
Sweet Diva Micky - Mar 13, 2010 02:21PM
When I right-click the only options that appear are help which is useless and delete partition. Changing the drive letter is NOT accessible.
buckmajor- Apr 3, 2010 12:46PM
What if there is no drive showing in the > Disk Management > Disk Drives? I have a vantec external hard drive, and that one is working fine, however, when I turn that off and turn on my WD 1TB external HD, there is nothing showing even in the Disk Management?
buckmajor- Apr 3, 2010 11:07PM
Sweet! I got it going. I actually found my drive in > Disk Management > Universal Serial Bus Controllers. And install (recommended), that will search/install onto your laptop/PC. Hope that helps someone else other than myself.

Thanks heaps.
Try this- Apr 14, 2010 01:33AM
Sweet diva in the middle bottom pane right click on drive description where it gives you the size and select simple volume and follow the format instruction.
Answer
+3
moins plus
I tried the short cable it shows that a device is connected but the computor does not display as an external device. I am using a Toshiba Laptop with Vista Home edition. This unit was working but suddenly this problem cropped up

b- Dec 29, 2009 09:04AM
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
I bought a PCI card with 5 usb doors for less than 20 euros
No instalation required, just plug it in and turn the pc on
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
1 2 3 Next
This document entitled « HELP my western digital is not recognized » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.