Ask a question Report

My playstation 3 won't obtain th IP address [Solved/Closed]

someone better than all - Latest answer on Oct 9, 2012 01:38AM
Hello, i just got my ps3 back and i have set everything up the way i think it says to but my ps3 won't obtain the IP address. It says "the key information exchange timed out" and won't go any further than that. I don't know if i should use the IP server and if i should then what do i put in? I'm not all that good all this crazy stuff and I need someones help so please i just need to know how to set up a wireless connection
Read more 
Answer
+631
moins plus
hi all,
I had the same issue so what i did was the following

before doing this switch off your router for 30 secs and then switch it back on..

a) instead of selecting easy choose custom when on connection settings
b) scan through and do not make any changes allowing it to select everything automatically
c) when going through the connections let it check your DNS server, I.P address automatically

check connection settings and your done

the difference is most people select easy, but in this case you need to select custom and go through the options without making any changes

just a long winded way of doing it but worked for me, it may not work for all off you but worth a try

kaykee- Jul 6, 2010 12:23AM
I worked for mine last night but today its not working again, I soooo DO NOT understand....
Allstarboy- Jul 14, 2010 05:36PM
are u sure this will work i really need to know
bmcg2- Jul 19, 2010 01:01PM
i tried what you said and what playstaion said and neither worked i would really like it if you could have a look at my problem and see what im doing wrong?? thanks
heres the link
http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-427261-my-ps3-wont-obtain-my-ip-address
Blur- Jul 27, 2010 05:33AM
This rly worked! Thanks bro. Also i saw it needed a software update.
caca- Oct 9, 2012 01:38AM
Thank u!!!!
Answer
+101
moins plus
I just had the same thing happen to me. The reason mine was happening was because i installed a uPNP (media link) on my network so my PS3 could stream from my computer. I was able to stream music and videos, but the PS3 wouldn't fail when trying to "obtain the IP address". So you may want to check to see if you have a similar situation where you are getting conflicting issues with the router. I would start with disabling the media server and restart the router.

BWSDeStRuCtIoN- May 4, 2010 05:07AM
YOU R FKN AMAZING DISABLE THE uPNP THEN IT WILL WORK :)
smokeymcpot- Jun 9, 2010 12:17AM
FCK YA!!!!!
whatdo- Jun 13, 2010 10:53AM
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhh
ORchill- Jul 7, 2010 09:54AM
Just like he said! ty very much
XDAGREAT- Oct 6, 2012 05:54PM
THIS ONE WORKS!!!! Disable uPNP after entering your WPA Key.....BOOOM!!!!
Answer
+86
moins plus
Moved my PS3 from one location, with one internet (where the PS3 worked fine except for occassional DNS error), to another location with a different internet and now it ceases to work.

I presumed this was because the PS3 is retaining the set-up for the previous internet, but have tried resetting the PS3 settings to default and still have the same problem.

The exact error message is "The Key information exchange timed out. The WPA key you entered may not be correct", after it has taken a while in its attempt to 'exchange key information'.

I'm using WPA not WEP (and don't really want to switch to the latter due to security risks). I have tried the same security code on my laptop and it connects fine, so I know that I'm typing the code in correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
+59
moins plus
hi,
try to reset the connection settings.
try this link to get information about the wireless connection settings:
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/connectwireless.html

gee- Apr 5, 2010 08:08AM
ii need ip adress numbers for to connect from vodefone 3g dongle
Answer
+47
moins plus
My PS3 just won't connect online anymore. It was working perfectly, and all of a sudden it has stopped working. I have called Sony and they have tried to fix the problem. They told me it was my Home Hub. So I order another one. The PS3 still does not work. But my PSP, and my I Pod works, and all work perfectly. Do you think my PS3 is broken. Many thanks

Answer
+43
moins plus
I had this same problem. I was playing online then all of a sudden boom, no internet. i was still able to pick up my wireless network on the ps3, but i was unable to obtain an ip address. I decided to maybe log in to my router and check the settings there. i had already tried to unplug everything and reconnect with no luck and thought my setting might have changed or reset.

I tried something random and it ended up working like a charm! I changed which channel my router was on. Originally it was on channel 6 and i switched it channel 11. Now my ps3 is up and running at full speed!

Hope this helps!

J

Answer
+34
moins plus
Hi, i currently have a samsung eternity tethered to my acer laptop that has windows 7 connected to my ps3 via ethernet cable...anyone have a guide or step by step process to help me get internet to the ps3? It would be a great amount of help.

Answer
+14
moins plus
not one of you have answered the question not a single one you, you lot are meant to know what to do why can you people never be of any help all I want is to find my ip address and play cod but you people couldnt help someone out of a paper bag

Mathuselah- Jun 21, 2010 07:24PM
IP address for the PC At the command prompt type IPConfig /all For the PS3 under System Settings.
Answer
+12
moins plus
I have a hardrive motem how do I set up PS3 to internet using ethernet cable

Answer
+12
moins plus
I had the same problem for a while, Then i connected through a wired connection through my router, then whilst being still connected I then went back on the setting of the PS3 network and manuly connected to wireless connection, took out the ethernet cable and walla!!!

-!BRaD!-

Answer
+11
moins plus
Your router has a CD you might just need to put in and set up wireless internet, also try this I found in a post it these two things solved my problems, "ok all you need to do is to try using WEP as ur security and i bet you it will work i had the same problem using WPA and i think the problem is that sometimes its too high a security setting and the router then blocks the ps3 access. " This was said by a user unworldlyzombie on a playstation answer board. Hope this helps :)

Answer
+7
moins plus
hi my name is billy and i was wondering if anyone knows how to help me fix my ps3. ive been on the internet loooootsss of times before but all of a sudden it stopped connecting. i have wireless internet and my mac and laptop and ipod and iphone work on the internet just not my ps3 and it even shows a connection. my psp doesnt even wrk on the internet anymore . does anyone know whats wrong or how to fix it ?

Kyle- Jul 29, 2009 09:38AM
Have you tried reseting your router ? if that dont work just ring up sony =']
pillow- Oct 25, 2009 09:47PM
i had the same problem your only option is to get an e cable (cross over)
gg- Jan 6, 2010 10:29AM
if it works on your mac get an ethernet cable and connnect it. then chane your network settings to wired connection and see if it works
vato loko- Jul 4, 2010 12:11PM
too bad
Answer
+6
moins plus
Well my ps3 has not been able to connect to my router since last thursday and i dont know what with it ND IT WASNT CONNECT BEFORE THE BIG CLOCK BUG HAPPEN ON SUNDAY I HAD IT FOR 2 YEARS since dec 2007 and it has always connected really well until now i just moved from florida and it worked great there i had comcast and the only problems i had with it was when my router was having problems and the internet would be down but that didnt happen that much but i live in northcarolina now and i have time warner cable and since them i been getin disconnected alot and for the pst 3 to 4 weeks every week during the 4 i would get disconnected for 3 days or 4 and then the next week i will get connected again and it then the next week it will disconnect for about 3 daysbut this is like the 4th or 5th week its done this but its been over a week since i loged in and i dont know what to do i tryed a new connection last night and put in my wep key but its still not connecting the little orange light the HDD i think thats it the one beside the green lightt wont flash only when you turn on or off the system its like it chooses when it wonts to connect or not and every thingg and my house that connects to my router works besides my ps3 wtf is going on cause i know its not the clock bug is there anything i need to do? please help

Answer
+6
moins plus
everybody just disable upnp

Answer
+6
moins plus
but how though

Answer
+4
moins plus
hi, if your ps3 is connected to internet through a router then u have to enable DMZ on router for the ip addr of ur ps3....one more important point is that if ur internet service provider is giving a private ip addr i.e. ip addr starting with 192.x.x.x or 172.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x then u wont be able to connect to internet

andy d- Dec 20, 2009 06:50AM
go to settings and select automatic ip selection if that fails manually put ur ip address in for eg 192.168.1.1 then accept that should work
a.bxz- Dec 21, 2009 11:15AM
hey wat u need to do is resetv your ps3.
abc123- Jan 4, 2010 12:40PM
i have a private ip address starting with 192 and i once connected to it and you said that it wont work with 192, 17?, and 10 but i did once and now it wont connect so i dont know what prob you have but thats wrong
gee- Mar 20, 2010 01:31PM
do u no how to connect your vodefone dongle to ps3 and have psn
gee- Apr 5, 2010 10:10AM
now it says (80710102)
error
Answer
+4
moins plus
Have you seen if your ] has a wep or wpa key if so you need to acess this and type it in on security in ps3 network setup there are 2 easy ways to do this 1.if youre internet company provided a disc with the router the data should be on there or you can phone he company

Answer
+3
moins plus
what is a wpa key and where can i find it on the dongle when i try to conect it says the key information exchange timed out the wpa key you entered may not be correct.can u please help me really wanna play my ps3

john rambo- Apr 19, 2010 05:29PM
ignore wpa key go staight to ya modem and then it will work..ignore ssid and 32 letter code , use the wired connection reset the ps3 and then scan in network settings.
Answer
+2
moins plus
hey i was trying to sign on my ps3 but it say media servcer disconnected then i went to internet connection
everything say succeeed but playstation network keep saying failed plz help asp

jr- Jan 25, 2010 09:16PM
my ps3 say ip address failed internet connection good how do i fix that i go to wired connection i put everything automatic
jr najama - Jan 25, 2010 09:16PM
my ps3 say ip address failed internet connection good how do i fix that i go to wired connection i put everything automatic
pillow- Oct 25, 2009 09:54PM
i recamind you restore to factory settings, your other option is to whip it clean, reformat
alfa- May 14, 2010 07:14AM
probelem here with mine and will like some one to help me ..If some one will do then please send me an email alafadawuda@hotmail.com so that the person can tell me the steps to follow.i am here sweating but do not know what to do again i am sick and tired.
Zee- Jul 18, 2010 10:46AM
Hi ppl...
faced this problem and tried every damn thing nothing worked for me. so i thought forget everything and gave up. a friend of mine just told me do a full reset of ur ps3 and update the system software. and i said no i already did a reset and a system update and all. but he still told me to do it <<<AGAIN>>> so i thought no harm trying it again so i downloaded the latest firmware and put it on a USB drive and did a full system update and <<<WHOOP-WHOOP>>>
it actually worked... heres how i did it ..... in very simple language and do exactly what i did
1. find yourself a USB stick atleast 1gb bigger the better (I used 8GB)
2. format it and choose FAT32 system (in a windows based computer - attach it to the usb port >go to my computer>rightclik on the usb drive >format>change from NTFS to FAT32)
3.go to the following link http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/pc_update/index.htm
4. follow the instructions
5. do a full update and u are done (even if it says its the same version firmware)
6. ENJOY

WHOOP-WHOOP
Answer
+2
moins plus
mine worked yesterday but today it isn't, i don't know why, but i accadently left my ps3 on all night and when i went to it it said timed out and just started dowloading the resurgence map pack for mw2 but when i downloaded the stimulus pack i didn't have the same problem, any help please

1 2 Next
This document entitled « my playstation 3 won't obtain th IP address » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.