Kioskea
Recherche
Ask a question Report

Computer Won't start. screen is black. [Solved/Closed]

Steve - Latest answer on Oct 29, 2012 04:57PM
Hello,
I have windows vista 32 bit. i was playing Age Of Conan and the screen started flickering. just off for about a second then back to the game for a second. then it went to the blue screen of death. it started a physical memory dump. well i just turned it off then turned it back on. Now its not giving me the one beep at start up, nothing. everything appears to be booting up, but my screen is black. i have a brand new 22 inch monitor. so its not the monitor. plus it says digital at the top of the screen and i hooked it up to my laptop and it worked. Is it maybe two bad Video cards? or maybe i have a bad hard drive? i tried unpluging the system completly, as well as removing the battery from the mobo and left it like that 4 30 minutes, then tried again. and i get the same thing. if anyone could help me it would be much appreciated. thanks
Read more 
Answer
+177
moins plus
1. Disconnect everything
2. unplug power
3. push 2-3 times the start button to eliminate remaining current
4. reconnect everything
5. Push the start button

Joe- Jun 27, 2012 02:09PM
I love you man!

I'm serious, tried everything from RAM, GPU, CPU, HDD,.

Simple solution for a seemingly complex problem!

<3
Lonewolf- Jun 29, 2012 03:12PM
Thank you so very much!!!! I live you too!! Lol
Juiceman- Oct 10, 2012 12:51AM
Just amazing!! This worked wonders!! thank YOU Angel!! seriously!!
Kevin- Oct 27, 2012 08:48AM
Thank you Angel!!!
You really are my Angel now!!!
I had this same problem...
Everything is working now...
Thanks a lot...
bean- Oct 29, 2012 04:57PM
Worked like a charm!!! Thank you!
Answer
+17
moins plus
I was playing Daoc on hot day then all of a sudden screen went black but was still running.... i shut it off then turned it on and normally it would beep once then screen would bring up the loading,,,,but it doesnt beep its running but not beeping and the screen is black.

Answer
+17
moins plus
Hello

I had the same problem and found a solution - or found out what was actually the problem.

First of all let me say that it is not the CPU or the harddrive!

I tried un-pluggng all the cables and re-plugging it all back in again - but nothing worked.

Then I pressed the on-button on the monitor and held down the Auto button which is also located at the bottom of the monitor screen.
I had a menu option that said 'repair windows environment' 'advanced option' 're-start windows' etc.
I chose to 're-start windows' - this restarted the computer but I still ended up with a black screen.

So I repeated the above process of pressing Auto and on-button, menu came up. I selected option 'repair windows environment'
Then after loading and 2 screens that flashed - I got a black screen with white writing, a little down the screen it said something like 'repair windows environment' and then a count down timer in seconds. This option is a waste of time as there is nothing wrong with Windows. I selected the next option down 'start as normal' and pressed enter.

My screen was back!!

I closed it down and re-started it to see if it worked. Black screen again!

So then I started to adjust the cable head - the part that is plugged into the monitor.
First time it did not work but I did see some light flashing so I continued adjusting then pressing the on button on the monitor and suddenly it came on, I could see my desktop icons.

I am having this problem a lot now and have to always adjust the cable head - so I think it must be the cable.

Good luck!

Answer
+8
moins plus
i was using my windowz xp ...i right click on screen...in display mode ..true colours......nd then click on 1024 by 768 the scren turned black.....a box appears sayin over frequency..and seconds startz 15....14...13...12...11........3....2...1...and then the whole screen turnz black....and nothing works.....

i have rebooted the sistem/ restart.....but the same box appearz...from the startin...and seconds...and then black screen apearz.....plzzzzzz help me out!>........

Answer
+8
moins plus
make a bootable flash drive instead with windows on or a flash drive with updated bios to boot from and reset if you want me to help you on how to do this ill write a tutorial for you step by step to follow :-) one other thing you could try to at least get into the bios is on start up press esc f1 f2 f3 all at same time top left and also press delete and enter bottom right just repeatedly press all six keys this will make your pc bleep like crazy but its one way to enter bios when you pc is not accessable due to corruption etc

helpless- May 27, 2010 06:31PM
thank you so much. I will relay this and hopefully it will be helpful. It was very kind of you to write this.
Answer
+5
moins plus
RJ,

Your monitor is out of frequency; the error you're receiving has nothing to do with your computer hardware setup.

Answer
+5
moins plus
hey it none of those its the registry thats damaged
try a reg fixer

Answer
+5
moins plus
Hey, im having a kind of the same prob.

When i tried to start my computer, it didnt start normally (it sounded like it didnt start normally, the screen was totally black etc.) therefore i tried to restart it.. The same respons. My problem is that the screen is TOTALLY BLACK, and therefore it isnt possible to see any error messages etc. I tried to connect another screen (im using a laptop), but the screen couldnt even "connect/find" the computer!

I honestly dont know what to do.. I didnt reach to do any backups of any kinds, and this computer contains almost 3 years of my life.. everything like homework, photos etc...

Really hope your able to help me,
Sebastian

If you need more facts please tell me !

zu- Mar 18, 2009 07:28AM
Hi;
I've the same problem before and I send it to HP service centre, and they found out the motherboard is faulty. They replaced it and since it is still under warranty, I don't have to pay for it.
Answer
+5
moins plus
am having similiar problem too, am using A8N-E MOBO, its been like this for the past 2 weeks or so, when i boot up, it would give me blue screen of death, then when i try switch it back on, nothing appears, all the fans are spinning etc, but my monitor says theres no signal...

but if i switch it off, and switch it back on again, it would SOMETIMES work again, but this time its not working :(

ive unplugged all the plugs and reconnected them, RAMS,CPU, HDs, GFX card, still wont boot up, any solutions please?

thanks

Answer
+5
moins plus
....... continued from the above post as some text got cut-off

My screen was back!!

I closed it down and re-started it to see if it worked. Black screen again!

So then I started to adjust the cable head - the part that is plugged into the monitor.
First time it did not work but I did see some light flashing so I continued adjusting then pressing the on button on the monitor and suddenly it came on, I could see my desktop icons.

I am having this problem a lot now and have to always adjust the cable head - so I think it must be the cable.

Good luck!

Answer
+4
moins plus
Beeps usually mean something vital to start the computer isn't working, say RAM, processor or Motherboard. A hard drive problem wouldn't give you beeps, but an error message in the POST. The beeps are an error code which can only be decyphered by going to the manufacurer's website or looking in the motherboard's manual if you were provided with one. The battery which you removed from the motherboard is probably the CMOS battery which is there to save the changes in the BIOS when the computer isn't plugged into a power source. Removing the battery usually sets the BIOS back to factory defaults.

Answer
+3
moins plus
never try any reg fixer... they corrupt windows badly!!! trust me!

Answer
+2
moins plus
i was playing the sims 3 then i did get a blue screen and when im trying to start it the screen is black and the rest is working i have video card geforce 9800gtx 765m 512mb physX

prossesor intel core 2 duo E8400 3.0 ghz socket Lga775 6mb 1333 boxed w/fan

Answer
+1
moins plus
hi your solution is very critical and faltoo so give me right solution no faked solution

Answer
+1
moins plus
Hi am getting the same problem too, its been like this for the past 2 weeks or so, before it sometimes gave me the blue screen of Death, so when i try boot the computer back up again, nothing would appear, my monitor would say it cant detect any signal, so id switch the computer off, rest, then switch it back on and it would be fine, but this time, its not working , ive reconnected everything, HD,GFX card, CPU, RAM, still nothing, am using A8N-E Mobo.

any solutions please?

thanks

shelijo- Apr 27, 2009 05:38AM
have you solved this problem now?
STOTTZ- May 9, 2010 12:15AM
Did not work for me!
Answer
+1
moins plus
Yes the problem is fixed now, the problem was my MOBO, the ASUS A8N-E series, had problems with the CPU connecting to the mobo, had to buy a new mobo :(

John- May 3, 2009 11:36PM
Lance, Iíve been having the exact same issue word for word...
But Iíve been too busy with work to have a full look into it; BUT I did do some troubleshooting...

I first removed all components which weren't necessary eg. sound card, 3G of RAM(left one stick of 1G in it[the others were for troubleshooting]) & all other non-onboard components - checked RAM, graphics cards, hard drives & PSU - all separately - still getting no output to monitor - my thoughts were motherboard but just havenít got around to checking it or CPU.

But knowing that the issue with your MoBo I'm fairly confident in ordering a new one with out wasting a lot of time mucking around with it.

Thanks!
This document entitled « Computer Won't start. screen is black. » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.