Frequent hangs and much more.

Closed
samargamer Posts 18 Registration date Wednesday May 20, 2015 Status Member Last seen May 31, 2015 - May 20, 2015 at 08:30 AM
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - Jun 5, 2015 at 07:38 PM
My PC which runs Windows 8.1 hangs a lot. Everything takes a lot of time. When I press the 'Start' button, the window will open after a lot of time. If I open 'Windows Explorer', 'My Computer' would open after a very long time. Even when switching it on, either it would take 20 minutes, or it won't switch on at all.
I used to have the same problem with Windows 7 too, so I got my PC formatted and installed Windows 7 Ultimate. The problem sprang up again. So I went out and bought a new hard drive and installed win8.1 on it (the problem was gone till recently) . But the problem has now sprung up in 8.1 also. I cleaned my PC with CCLEANER and ran a full scan with AVAST! but I came up empty. I don't have any idea what causes it. My PC starts hanging all of a sudden, and then after some time, ranging from a day to 20 minutes, it would start working normally again. Please help. :(
Edit: I also ran the SSID utility in windows 8.1 and even it shows no errors.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 1: As I had mentioned earlier, it fixes sometimes by itself for some time. That's what happened today. It started working normally however in the middle of a browsing session, my PC froze and it shut down.
Now when I try to turn the PC on, I hear two beeps and then I am stuck on a screen that says something like: The following device is covered under the following patents......
My PC is falling apart. :(
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 2:
Okay, now it said at startup: "Boot failure" in white text on a black background.
After restarting many many times, it has switched on but it still is hanging, even at the Windows 8.1 loading screen.
PXE-E52 : No boot filename received
PSE-MOF : Exiting PXE ROM
Day 3: Boot failure error is gone but now I am stuck at the Windows 8.1 loading screen, with the blue window.
EDIT: Since the PC was stuck there, I did a manual restart and now I am stuck yet again at a screen-
White text on black background. Says "Exiting PXE ROM. Press any key to continue." at the end.
Day 4: Now the Windows 8.1 starting screen, the one with the blue windows logo shows up, it remains there for a long time, then a blue color sad emoticon appears on the screen. Then the PC restarts. While booting after the shutting down, I am stuck at the above black screen with white text.
Day 5: I switched my PC on, it took 35 minutes to get to the desktop. Is working normally.
Day 5: PC is hanging again.

4 responses

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
May 20, 2015 at 08:44 AM
Hi Samargamer,

How much memory do you have in your system? You need at least 2 GB for a 64 bit version of Windows 8.

Do you know your memory is good? Try downloading and running MEMTEST86+ (as an ISO and burn it to CD or DVD) and see if there are any errors that appear. You might need to change the boot priority to get it to boot from your optical drive.

Good luck
samargamer Posts 18 Registration date Wednesday May 20, 2015 Status Member Last seen May 31, 2015 1
May 20, 2015 at 09:33 AM
I switched on my PC to conduct the memory test. But the processor fan is not working so I switched it off again to avoid damage to the processor.
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
May 20, 2015 at 09:43 AM
Then perhaps it was your processor fan failing causing an overheat. This does fit all the symptoms you have. Try changing the fan.
samargamer Posts 18 Registration date Wednesday May 20, 2015 Status Member Last seen May 31, 2015 1 > BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021
May 20, 2015 at 09:47 AM
Actually sir, it has been working all this time. It is NOW that it's stopped working. I have SPEEDFAN installed. I constantly monitor my temperatures. So the issue is not because of an overheat. Thank you for the quick and quality replies, I need help desperately. :\
samargamer Posts 18 Registration date Wednesday May 20, 2015 Status Member Last seen May 31, 2015 1
May 20, 2015 at 09:50 AM
The fan is up and running again, don't let it bother you.
May 20, 2015 at 09:58 AM
so just the memtest then atm
good luck
(I'll be away for a few hours now. Feel free to invite others to help if you need a quicker solution than I can give)
May 20, 2015 at 10:42 AM
I rand the memory test using Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and according to it, everything is fine.
May 20, 2015 at 09:55 AM
I followed your instructions but nothing happened, so I am guessing that my CD-Drive isn't working as well. The last time I checked in System Properties, it showed me 4 GB of RAM which is what I currently have.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
May 31, 2015 at 05:57 AM
Hello Samargamer and Brian

Perhaps this will help to pinpoint the problem:

Download the following on your desktop:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/bluescreenview.zip

Unzip the file

Double click on BlueScreenView.exe

At the end of the scan, click on edit and then on select all

Go on file and click on save selected items

Save the log as bsod.txt

Open bsod.txt, copy and paste here