WD My Cloud 4Tb - Lost full content of Share Folder and Safepoin

Closed
TTot Posts 1 Registration date Monday March 23, 2015 Status Member Last seen March 23, 2015 - Mar 23, 2015 at 08:12 PM
Captain_WD Posts 2 Registration date Monday March 30, 2015 Status Member Last seen March 30, 2015 - Mar 30, 2015 at 05:21 AM
Hullo,

Yesterday I lost a whole content of my main custom share folder on My Cloud 3Tb and simultaneously all data on my Safepont backup drive (sic!) (3Tb).

Previously I have noticed that My Cloud frequently disconnected itself from my home network. Thus I had to reboot it by detaching power supply. There was also a problem with recognition of my USB external storage attached to My Cloud (Safepoint drive).

Finally I did a Safe Factory Restore and I switched my main share folder setting from public to private. While doing that my main custom share folder disappeared from share list (Windows Explorer and web UI). When I switched back to public it reappeared again.

I think in this moment I noticed in Windos Explorer that in my main custom folder share sub-folder (huge volume - about 2.7TB) content became disappeared - there were files and subfolders there.

After certain time the share was emptied. There were only one folder (empty) and one sub-folder (empty).

I was struck dumb discovering that the Safepoint drive was also emptied. All folders remains in the root but they were completely empty!

As WD assures it was to be the safest protection for the My Cloud data!.
Thus I have lost almost 3Tb of precious data.

Today I contacted WD Support and they confirmed no data on the both drive. They, in the preliminary way proposed me an exchange (drive is on warranty) free of charge (after recovery attempt)! The final decision should be confirmed. They have advised me to contact recovery service company to retrieve the data. Of course they do not cover the fee.

They have not been able to explain why and how was it possible to loose the data from Safepoint drive.

I am extremely disappointed. In such case the whole WD idea of data security is totally untrustworthy. I will never be able to trust it and put on it any valuable data, any data.

I wonder wher if any of you have the similar problem.

I would be deeply thankful if you could furnish me with any potential cause of that disaster and if the lost data could be recoverable.

Thank you in advance and be careful, do not trust a Safepoint stability and security.

I wish I made a backup on a separate drive and not on attached to My Cloud one. Well, I wish I bought and used My Cloud at all.

Thank you in advance for any suggestion on the above.
Related:

1 response

Captain_WD Posts 2 Registration date Monday March 30, 2015 Status Member Last seen March 30, 2015
Mar 30, 2015 at 05:21 AM
Hey TTot,

I hope you've resolved it by now, but in case you haven't - here are my two cents on this:
I think that between the changes of the folder from public to private and then back some new folders were created and they overwrote the existing ones. Safepoint recorded all the changes and applied them to your backup so that would explain why the data is not there.
My suggestion would be to contact a data recovery company, if the data is valuable as they would have the biggest chance of retrieving the lost files and folders.
I'm sorry again for the bad experience. I'm sure the guys from our phone support would be helpful and provide some solution.

Captain_WD.