Launching Internet After DNS Probe

Solved/Closed
cinwri12 Posts 1 Registration date Saturday March 21, 2015 Status Member Last seen March 21, 2015 - Mar 21, 2015 at 04:16 AM
 Mesty - Jan 7, 2016 at 09:27 AM
Hello,

I have a dell laptop with Windows xp. I am getting dns probe finished no internet message. This was on chrome browser. I used the computer earlier with no problems. I have looked here on this website and tried just about everything to no avail. I uninstalled both chrome and Firefox. Can you please help. This is driving me crazy. Thanks.

Related:

9 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Mar 21, 2015 at 04:55 AM
go to START and Run and type in the following commands:
cmd (enter)

c:\netsh winsock reset (enter)

remember restart your computer
ROBERTDELROSSO
Mar 29, 2015 at 05:58 PM
Your answer is incomplete. You have to assume that the person having the problem does NOT know how to become "the administrator".
I got this error message "DNS PROBE FINISHED NO INTERNET"

I TYPED AT C PROMPT: "netsh winsock reset".
It says this action requires elevation (run as administrator) but it does not tell you how to become the "administrator".

Went to Desktop
Right-clicked on chrome icon
Left Clicked "Run as administrator"
Went back into DOS
Typed above at C prompt
It STILL says : "this operation requires elevation (run as administrator)" but it does not tell you how to become the administrator

(Right-clicking the Icon used to work in Internet Explorer, now not working in chrome)
A few min ago, when I clicked the Start Button, I saw no DOS Icon. Now, after pressing the Windows key (in between CTRL and ALT) AND "R" AT SAME TIME, NOW I SEE THE DOS ICON IN START MENU.

RIGHT-CLICKED ON DOS ICON IN START MENU.
LEFT CLICKED "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR" NOW - I AM THE "ADMINISTRATOR"!!!
Apparently, even in 2015, Windows 7 still runs inside a "DosShell".

NOW, A NEW DOS "DIALOGUE BOX" POPS UP, BUT THE "C" PROMPT HAS BEEN CHANGED TO
C:\Windows\System32>
(My Dell Laptop is 32 bits)
At this new prompt, I typed "netsh winsock reset"
And pressed Enter.

Now, in DOS, it says that I "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog"! (whatever THAT IS!!) YAAAAAAY!
AND "you must restart [or reboot] the Computer to complete the reset.
TOOK ABOUT 15 MIN. TO FIX

I HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL.

So maybe my "winsock", whatever it is, was corrupted by a virus and needed to be reset inside DOS, despite my getting a new Kaspersky Antivirus Dec 25, 2014 (2 yr subscription)

I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW WHY THIS PROBLEM OCURRS IN THE FIRST PLACE!
It is better way to go to Start to All programs then to Accessories and with right click to run cmd as administrator then to write the code that is written up. However, thank youuuu it works for me!