Accidentally diskparted my Passport ultra

Solved/Closed
jackBo - Mar 7, 2015 at 08:45 AM
 JackBo - Apr 9, 2015 at 11:35 AM
Hello,

I formatted it after the accidental diskpart but now the WD software does not recognize the drive as a WD drive. This is happening in WD Utilities and WD Smartware. Windows sees it fine and I can copy files to it but I can't use the WD software.

1 response

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Mar 7, 2015 at 09:09 AM
Hi JackBo,

I'm not sure this will work, but at least you shouldnt lose anything ...

Take a look at this link - its the download page of the firmware. Hopefully updating the firmware will reinstate the identity of the drive.

I have had no experience in this - If anyone else has ideas please let us know.

JackBo, Please let me know how you get on.
Thanks but the firmware update asks to disconnect all USB items then only connect the external WD drive. I do that and click Rescan and the WD my Passport Ultra is not recognized so no firmware update.
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150 > jackBo
Mar 7, 2015 at 09:30 AM
oops - and I forgot to add the link!

Im Useless!
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Mar 7, 2015 at 09:44 AM
Looking round the web I found one Linux user with a problem that the WD software wasnt recognising the drive, but the PC was. What he did was to uninstall the software, reinstall it and then try the disk in another USB port. Im not sure if the disk was installed or not during the install and reinstall of the WD software though.
Mar 7, 2015 at 09:51 AM
I wonder if it might just be the name of the drive that is wrong? Perhaps the software is looking for a Western Digital name in the drives identity?
No it isn't looking for the name of the drive. It actually recognizes an old WD drive in one of external Fantom cases named Fantom01 and that drive can be used in the WD software but the passport can't be seen. I'm going to try uninstalling the software and re-installing. I will update what happens.