DVD Rom doesn't reading DVD but reads cd

Closed
Rohan - Feb 28, 2015 at 03:18 AM
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - Mar 1, 2015 at 03:46 PM
Hello Guys,
I a having problem with my DVD drive its not reading dvd but reads cd.
I tried registry editing didn't work.
I tried to update drivers also didn't work.
I tried to uninstall drivers and installed again also didn't work.

I am using Dell inspiron 15R Laptop with windows 7 64 bit operating system which i recently updated it from windows 7 32 bit. dvd drive was working properly when i was using win 7 32 bit.
Now its not even booting the dvd.
Please help me guys. Tell me solution please.

Thanks in advance.

Related:

1 response

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Feb 28, 2015 at 12:18 PM
Hi Rohan,

I dont mean to insult your intelegence with this first bit, but I have to cover all the bases ...

First, are you sure this isnt just a CD drive?
Have you discounted the DVD is bad by trying another DVD?
Have you discounted that the DVD you are trying to play is not a Blueray Disk?
Are you sure the DVD is not a blank writable or re-writable disk?
There was 2 types of writable DVD drives ... R- and R+. Some drives can only read R+ or R- format. Are you sure you have a disk that is suitable for the drive?

Now with the silly stuff out of the way ...

You will need to edit the registry inorder to fix this problem.

First a severe warning. Neither I or Kioskea will be held responsible if things go wrong here.
Please follow these instructions TO THE LETTER! Modifying your registry can make your machine unusable if it is not done correctly! If in doubt let a repair shop do this for you.

1) click the start menu
2) click on "run"
3) type "regedit" and click ok
4) find the following registry key (on the left hand pane)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Double check that this is the correct key.
5) in the right pane delete only the "upper filters" and "lower filters" enteries. They are not always there. If they are not then continue with the next steps. DO NOT delete any keys in the left hand pane.
6) close the registry editor (no need to save anything).
7) back in the start menu right click my computer and choose "Manage"
9) click device manager (on the left hand pane)
10) expand the dvd/cdrom drives (in the right hand pane)
11) right click the dvd rom and click uninstall
12) restart computer

after restarting, windows should automatically install a clean ROM drive and it should read DVDs just fine if you have the correctDVDdecoders

Hope this helps.
Hey Brian,
If you read my question carefully you can see I have tried all of things you mentioned. And yes I have DVD ROM which reads every kinds of DVDs CDs except Blue Ray Discs. Also I want to assure you that it only reads CDs not DVDs. Anyway I tried anything to fix this problem at Software level but i don't think that is gonna work, so I am going to diagnose hardware maybe I'm gonna replace DVD rom with new one.
But thanx for your Response.
:)
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150 > Rohan
Mar 1, 2015 at 03:46 PM
Ok. Sorry - I missed the registry edit line.
However, you could also try deleting the Drive from the hidden section of the Device manager followed by a restart.