WD My Passport Drive - Drive not appearing in My Computer?

Solved/Closed
tronicuk Posts 3 Registration date Saturday February 21, 2015 Status Member Last seen February 21, 2015 - Feb 21, 2015 at 06:32 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Feb 21, 2015 at 08:03 AM
I've tried everything after researching this problem online and nothing seems to work.

I've just installed a WD My Passport Ultra and it appears in Disk Management and was assigned to drive H (i'm using Windows 7, 64 Bit operating system).

I've tried the formatting option, I've tried adding it to a different drive letter ie I.

However it just won't appear in My Computer as a drive meaning I cannot use it.

Can anyone offer any further assistance or advice as to why it's not appearing as a drive?
Related:

3 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Feb 21, 2015 at 07:15 AM
After plugging in the device, go to device manager (In run type "devmgmt.msc") In Device manager go to "Universal serial bus controllers" It should list the storage devices that you have connected to your PC. Right click and then click "Uninstall. Remove the USB drive and restart your system.
Try connecting the device again
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Feb 21, 2015 at 07:01 AM
Go to Control Panel / System / Harware / Device Manager /

slide down to the list at Universal Serial Bus Controllers, you will find a USB Mass Storage Device with a yellow triangle. This is your external Drive controller that failed to initialize and will always remain like this even after reboot... until you right click Uninstall and when done, just right click on any of the devices in the list, (or in the Actions menu above) select scan for hardware changes ..
tronicuk Posts 3 Registration date Saturday February 21, 2015 Status Member Last seen February 21, 2015
Feb 21, 2015 at 07:11 AM
I've looked at this and there is no yellow triangle next to Mass Storage Device
tronicuk Posts 3 Registration date Saturday February 21, 2015 Status Member Last seen February 21, 2015
Feb 21, 2015 at 07:51 AM
Ok to let everyone know I have managed to solve the issue and it's something very obvious (or course not to me).

From a previous project I had drives H, I, and J set up for Network Sharing which were listed under Network Location in My Computer and they all had long names for their shared folders and big red crosses (as they were no longer connected/mapped).

So what was happening is the new drive was of course being assigned to one of these and it wasn't showing up with the new drive name as it was just acting as a new folder inside these original network drives.

So to resolve the issue I uninstalled and disconnected the WP drive, then right clicked on each network drive and disconnected all of them, restarted the PC, and re -installed the drive again and now it has appeared as a new fresh drive under Hard Disk Drives.

Thanks all for the assistance.
Feb 21, 2015 at 08:03 AM
Gee, thank you very much for letting us know.